I can\'t, not even for fun...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can\'t, not even for fun...

Default I can\'t, not even for fun...

I wonder if any of you have seen this.
    Or would consider using it.
    Army Painter

I can\'t believe this has actually become a business.

I guess the question is, have you, or would you use this range of products?

Tried to find the clip, but couldn\'t, so I\'ll just quote \'er:

J. Rabbit: Oh my god IT\'S DIP!!!!

Well, first thing that popped into my head. More power to \'em.

This hobby is different things to different people. I enjoy working on a mini for hours, but for some the mini\'s are just a means to an end of playing a game. Dipping, or whatever that brings their armies up to an acceptable table top standard fast is fine by me.

Originally posted by ScottRadom
    This hobby is different things to different people. I enjoy working on a mini for hours, but for some the mini\'s are just a means to an end of playing a game. Dipping, or whatever that brings their armies up to an acceptable table top standard fast is fine by me.
    I feel the same way. If you were a gamer only, I can see that painting would be a bother. Dipping is a fast and easy way to get your minis\' on the gaming table and the dice rolling.

i agree that this is better than seeing unpainted armies on the table, but i wouldnt use this myself.
    although this is very similar to what the gw washes are about. they even had a article on how to do the scenery with two coats with the new spray gun. oh well.
    guess it depends on how important/cool the model is and how much time/effort you want to put into it.

Well, as a painter only, it\'s quite obviously not for me, but if it does the job for gamers to bring out a colourful army onto the table-top, then I don\'t think it\'s a problem at all. There are plenty of folk who don\'t like the painting as much as the playing (and I suspect that\'s a huge sigh of relief for all those commission painters out there!), so it\'s good that there\'s a product which can sort them out.

And, much as I hate to admit it, I\'ve seen some cracking armies using the stuff!

Blog Entries

I\'ve seen this ages ago, and I\'ve only really seen one army that looked good with a dip. The big issue is the limited color pallet you can use to have the dip/washes work for all colors. Stuff like Orcs and Tyranids can work, not much else IMO. And you still have to basecoat everything, which is half the work anyway.

I say man up and buy an airbrush. You can ramp up the speed for basic army level painting without losing your dignity :P

donga666

BTW Don\'t buy the primers or varnish, they are utter utter crap!

There\'s painters and there\'s gamers, if this was a \'gaming\' forum there would be a more positive response to \'dip\'.

This stuff was launched at Salute in 2007. Which you also need to remember is a show mainly built up around historical gaming and not primarily painting.

Therefore, you need to remember that it is aimed primarily at the historical gamers market. It was demonstrated at the show using some new Plastic Roman Infantry that were being released at the same time.

The guy demoing it at the show had done about 50 fugures in an evening from start to finish and looked god enough for the table from a distance which is more than adequate for what majority of historical gamers want, most don\'t want to spend ages painting an army they want to play with.

Originally posted by donga666
    BTW Don\'t buy the primers or varnish, they are utter utter crap!

There\'s painters and there\'s gamers, if this was a \'gaming\' forum there would be a more positive response to \'dip\'.
    What he said. I know that the AP dip is popular over on the PPP forums, and have occasionally been surprised at how well the minis have come out. I would never use the dip myself, but I don\'t see the need to diss others who use it, I just see them as approaching the overarcing hobby of miniatures wargaming from a different angle. I\'m pretty sure that my bf would have leapt on the AP dip bandwagon if it had been around back in the day when he played WHB and 40K - he\'s frequently told me how little he enjoyed the painting aspect. I don\'t think less of him because of it. I\'m a painter, he\'s not, so what?

I\'ve used AP metallic primer once. It went on ok, but then I couldn\'t get anything else to go on over it! Bleh!

Karhu

Never used and never will.
    I\'ve been also told of people that use stuff for wood (I don\'t know the proper word in english). Just paint flat and dip it!
    Really nobrainish job... <_<

Hard to argue with the solid tabletop-grade results shown on the website. If I had to paint hundreds of wee men I\'d jump at any opportunity that would make a decent paint job quicker and easier to achieve, and save the advanced painting techniques for my generals and showcase models.

i would if i were a gamer, but i\'m not. i paint.

i would use varnish though as it\'s cheaper!!

i do have a sand coloured spray of theirs though. it does the job

I would never do that when I could save a few bob and paint em the traditional way quickly and looking better.

Alex

hmmm ..., a few people dissing the undercoats .. ??? Never had a problem with them a million miles better than GW .. just make sure they ae really well shaken and don\'t have the model under the start of the spray and it makes a great painting surface.??

Originally posted by demonherald
    hmmm ..., a few people dissing the undercoats .. ??? Never had a problem with them a million miles better than GW .. just make sure they ae really well shaken and don\'t have the model under the start of the spray and it makes a great painting surface.??
    Really? Well, I guess I should give mine another go then. It\'s just that the first experience was so painful I\'ve been reluctant to go through it again!

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

using dip or stain is really no different than a wash with ink or a \'special\' wash product like Vellajo Smoke...

Another means to an end.

I\'m on my second can of primer. It\'s cheaper and bigger than GW and no problems with it so far.

Tbh you cant beat halfords grey primer... :D

Originally posted by alextheartist
    Tbh you cant beat halfords grey primer... :D
    no indeed you can\'t!