I can\'t, not even for fun... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I can\'t, not even for fun...

Originally posted by freakinacage
    Originally posted by alextheartist
    Tbh you cant beat halfords grey primer... :D
    no indeed you can\'t!
    But surely, with a big enough stick, you can.....

please forgive me for being a newb and all but somehow i find that the dip shown in the clip and a good wash of tamiya smoke mixed with flat base looks to have the same result.

or am i mistaken :s?

I started this thread out of emotional distraught.
    I was at my LGS and showing off some of my better-than-average paint jobs, when the store owner handed me this brochure.

I was insulted, and angered.
    I agree that for a gamer-oriented type person, this would be stellar compared to a 79 cent can of spray enamel. I was just taken by the fact that it was presented to me, with examples of my work right there!

But if I had no aspirations in painting, and wanted to game more (which I do BTW) then this would be a viable alternative, without getting ribbed for solid color minis.

Originally posted by JesterzUSMC
    I was at my LGS and showing off some of my better-than-average paint jobs, when the store owner handed me this brochure.

I agree that for a gamer-oriented type person, this would be stellar compared to a 79 cent can of spray enamel. I was just taken by the fact that it was presented to me, with examples of my work right there!

But if I had no aspirations in painting, and wanted to game more (which I do BTW) then this would be a viable alternative, without getting ribbed for solid color minis.
    Well, that\'s not Army Painter\'s fault. That\'s because the store owner is clearly a fool.

Shadzar

Originally posted by PegaZus
    Tried to find the clip, but couldn\'t, so I\'ll just quote \'er:

J. Rabbit: Oh my god IT\'S DIP!!!!

Well, first thing that popped into my head. More power to \'em.
    Someone call Eddie Valiant or Disney and WB Toons are all gonna die!

Is that place ran by Judge Doom?

Seriously, it is the dipping technique but brush-on.

Might as well just buy some furniture stain and paint it on the mini and wipe of the excess. lol

Ah, game stores famous falty customer service. I worked retail for a number of years, and I always marvel at LGSs where the owner doesn\'t understand the basics of customer service. You have every right to feel insulted. The guy was clearly not paying attention and in turn made and arse of himself.:mad:

As for dip. Eh, it\'s a tool for an audience. I consider myself an above average painter, and i\'m getting ready to paint a dip ork army. Granted, that\'s just for the 100+ basic troopers i have to paint, but for game pieces it\'s fine. For serious painters it rubish. It\'s all about what you want to achieve in you painting.

Blog Entries

I mean if your highest goal for the project is completion, then I agree the dip method is probably enough to make you happy.

But I\'ve seen some pretty ridiculous behavior from both gamers and staff (similar to Jesterz\'s story).

Example: My friend Nathan painted a 2000 point Ogre army, including 30 Gnoblars, to a solid standard in about 2 weeks. Not necessarily painting contest winning material, but like 3-6 hilights on everything. At our gaming club a few weeks ago, Nathan got talking to a new member with some terribly-painted Ogres. New guy goes fishing for compliments, all the while totally dismissing the effort and skill that went into Nate\'s army.

If you\'re new to the hobby, if you simply don\'t care about your results as long as they are done, if you don\'t have time to paint the models using traditional methods... Dipping is a perfectly valid solutions to these problems. But I think most of us here on Coolmini will agree that you really can\'t compare it to shading/ hilighting/ washing/ blending/ whatever.

It wasn\'t that long ago that people were still freaking out when they heard people use airbrushes on miniatures. They\'re a great tool for certain jobs, but it\'s not some instant shortcut that can turn anyone with a few hundred bucks into a master painter. And dipping isn\'t either :P

Meh, I personally lovingly painted up a Warhammer Tomb Kings of Khemri army. 2000 points voer about a year. I played against a guy who dipped and had his army done in a month..... I like his way better.

Dippin\' ain\'t all bad. 15mm Armor look pretty slick dipped, not only working as a shortcut but giving a pretty comvincing finish at that scale I think.

Originally posted by pez5767

Ah, game stores famous falty customer service. I worked retail for a number of years, and I always marvel at LGSs where the owner doesn\'t understand the basics of customer service. You have every right to feel insulted. The guy was clearly not paying attention and in turn made and arse of himself.:mad:

As for dip. Eh, it\'s a tool for an audience. I consider myself an above average painter, and i\'m getting ready to paint a dip ork army. Granted, that\'s just for the 100+ basic troopers i have to paint, but for game pieces it\'s fine. For serious painters it rubish. It\'s all about what you want to achieve in you painting.
    first tip, don\'t dip the minis, use a brush for it instead (it will save you loads and takes just as long when you consider the amount of shaking the excess off you have to do.

second tip, it\'s just thinned down woodstain (exceopt a hell of a lot more expensive!)
    a mid tone wood stain is far cheaper.

last tip, hang your head in shame lol

Ya can with Hycote........:beer:

and properly applied Tamiya fine surface primer.. best painting surface I\'ve used but you need to be damn careful applying it....

Then you could put it into submission with an airbrush and the appropriate primer colour ...

and last but not least a good old bi of patience and a brush on primer...

There halfords limping to it\'s corner to have it\'s wounds attended ....

I use Halfords as well like but find it a bit less predictable than Hycote...

This doesn\'t really bother me much. For army painting I definitely favor \"get it done and get it done fast as you can while still looking good\". For display or contests etc I go the traditional route. Right now I\'m painting like 40 uruk-hai - there\'s no way I\'d do that without heavy use of washes.

I was getting a force of 24 kobolds together for a D&D 4e game I was DMing this past weekend. The focus of the game isn\'t the minis, they are a visual aid. It isn\'t an army I am going to field on a regular basis, they will probably see the tabletop once every two years.

I had a truck to fix, plants to get in the garden, drywall to put up in the basement, work, two social events to attend, and I needed to spend time with my wife.

I primed the kobolds one day, did one color a day, dipped them, and hit them with some testors dullcoat. And I got all my other stuff done as well. Plus my players knew I gave a damn about them having fun because I put some effort into preparing. I would have just bought stain, but I try to support my local game store, so I didn\'t mind paying extra instead of trying to research what stain color was best, and how much to thin it.

Would I use it on one of my primary armies? No. But I am not in the least embarrassed or ashamed that I found a fast technique to make the game more fun for my players.

I answered \"massive armies\" but it isn\'t strictly true, it was just the closest to why I used it.

Originally posted by demonherald
    Ya can with Hycote........:beer:

and properly applied Tamiya fine surface primer.. best painting surface I\'ve used but you need to be damn careful applying it....

Then you could put it into submission with an airbrush and the appropriate primer colour ...

and last but not least a good old bi of patience and a brush on primer...

There halfords limping to it\'s corner to have it\'s wounds attended ....

I use Halfords as well like but find it a bit less predictable than Hycote...
    never heard of it. where do you get it from?

as for brush on? pah. i have NO patience!
    and i can\'t afford an airbrush (or justify the expence anyway)

whats the deal with the tamiya stuff? why do you need to be so careful?

Personally I think it might depend on the army, I mean if you\'ve got 3000 points of hot gobbos or skaven clanrats to chug though then fair enough. I handed over my VC zombies to my girlfriend and housemate because I couldn\'t be bothered to paint 60 of them and I don’t care what they look like.
    However I would never hand over my wood/high elves because I don\'t believe they would benefit from dipping and I love the models, I feel like I was missing out if I didn\'t paint them.
    And what happens if you get you\'re army back and you don’t like it, stripping minis is a chore.....you may as well just bin them.
    I\'m not looking to Shame people, this is just how I feel, but say someone throws you a compliment on your dipped army......do you explain that you didn’t paint it, or do you take the compliment and feel like a fraud?
    :o

Originally posted by SonofGrimnir
    Personally I think it might depend on the army, I mean if you\'ve got 3000 points of hot gobbos or skaven clanrats to chug though then fair enough. I handed over my VC zombies to my girlfriend and housemate because I couldn\'t be bothered to paint 60 of them and I don’t care what they look like.
    However I would never hand over my wood/high elves because I don\'t believe they would benefit from dipping and I love the models, I feel like I was missing out if I didn\'t paint them.
    And what happens if you get you\'re army back and you don’t like it, stripping minis is a chore.....you may as well just bin them.
    I\'m not looking to Shame people, this is just how I feel, but say someone throws you a compliment on your dipped army......do you explain that you didn’t paint it, or do you take the compliment and feel like a fraud?
    What do you call getting a basecoat on neatly and solidly (which is apparently more than some submitters on here can manage), if it\'s not painting? It\'s the basis of what many people consider \"table-top\" quality, after all - three colours and a base. Doesn\'t say anything about 50 layers of highlights.

Originally posted by Amazon warrior
    What do you call getting a basecoat on neatly and solidly (which is apparently more than some submitters on here can manage), if it\'s not painting? It\'s the basis of what many people consider \"table-top\" quality, after all - three colours and a base. Doesn\'t say anything about 50 layers of highlights.
    I was referring to the painting service that Jestez flagged up originally, if you\'ve gone to the trouble of putting 3 colours and a base on an entire army then your doing better than me, which is why my army colour schemes could be described as predominantly \"plastic gray with hints of metal\".
    But if you\'ve just popped it’s in the post for some other dude to paint, you\'ve just lost out on easy 60% of the hobby right there.
    I guess my main thrust was is it worth trading the satisfaction of painting your own stuff (doesn’t matter if it’s one colour and a wash or the afore mentioned 50 highlights) for the convenience of having a fully painted army to game with, now I\'m as hardcore a gamer as the next man, but I don’t think it is.
    Just one opinion mind you:D

Originally posted by Amazon warrior
    I was referring to the painting service that Jestez flagged up originally, if you\'ve gone to the trouble of putting 3 colours and a base on an entire army then your doing better than me, which is why my army colour schemes could be described as predominantly \"plastic gray with hints of metal\".
    But if you\'ve just popped it’s in the post for some other dude to paint, you\'ve just lost out on easy 60% of the hobby right there.
    I guess my main thrust was is it worth trading the satisfaction of painting your own stuff (doesn’t matter if it’s one colour and a wash or the afore mentioned 50 highlights) for the convenience of having a fully painted army to game with, now I\'m as hardcore a gamer as the next man, but I don’t think it is.
    Just one opinion mind you:D
    What painting service? I didn\'t see a reference to one in the thread, although technically I\'m supposed to be working so my check was not exhaustive. I thought Jesterz was referring to the insult of being given a leaflet on Army Painter\'s products when his lovingly hand-painted minis were on show.

Although, I do agree with you about trading satisfaction for convenience! ;) :)

Ok yeah thats my bad, I thought they offered a mini painting service as well.

So I\'ve learned....

A) If you want to use the dipping method, you go for it, shouldnt tell other people what to do with thier mini\'s

B) I should try reading the thread before posting rather than wading in and then looking like a douche.
    lol

Just use the tools that gives you the result that you want and are pleased with....

Ok yeah thats my bad, I thought they offered a mini painting service as well.

So I\'ve learned....

A) If you want to use the dipping method, you go for it, shouldnt tell other people what to do with thier mini\'s

B) I should try reading the thread before posting rather than wading in and then looking like a douche.
    lol
    :D It happens to us all, trust me! :beer: