A dare for the best painters in the world.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A dare for the best painters in the world.

Default A dare for the best painters in the world.

There is a point when you can take a picture of a miniature from so close that even the best painter\'s work starts to break down.

Most people don\'t take pictures that close because people want to see what they would see in real life.

However, anytime a great painter has made this mistake I\'ve been in heaven. Seeing the brushstrokes helps me understand how it was done.

So, those of you that have good cameras and paint miniatures I dare you to take ugly, close up shots of your best work, or the miniatures you gets asked the most questions about.

Let\'s see those brushstrokes. Take pity on us mortals.

I\'m not suggesting posting them in the voting section, just get \'em online where we can see them.

And if someone wants a place to build a personal gallery, msg me. I\'m not sure what the deal with mentioning other websites are, so I won\'t in this thread.

Default interesting....

That is an interesting thought. But, just out of curiosity, what do you think you would gain from seeing the brushstrokes?

I too wouldn\'t mind checking that sort of thing out, if info could be gleened from it, but I wonder if it would really help?

Other than letting us know that the \"painting gods\" are really just using a brush and paint, I don\'t see what you mean.

(forgive me if this sounds argumentive, I am really just curious...):)

I wish I had an example to give. Think of it this way. It\'s like the difference between seeing a picture of a miniature, and holding on in your hands. You learn a lot more from the one in your hands.

Default a response...

Except for the fact I\'m not Goatman or Arjay\'s class of painter, I think I can meet almost all your criteria. Here goes:

The following image was posted in response to a thread about a model.

Thread is here:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=2637

And because it\'s late and I\'m lazy, that\'s about as much effort as I am going to bother putting into this. :P

:innocent:

I\'m no where near the best painter, but I\'ll bite, here\'s my Nurgle Terminator as close up as I can get it without digitally blowing up the pic. http://www.coolminiornot.com/?id=41403

the closest shot from a mini I know on CMON is Cyril\'s Amanthas
    even at this zoom level the paintjob still looks amazing :o
    now this is a real pro!

damned if that still isn\'t one of the best minis in the place.

sooo pretty. even at 10X mag.

Default I see how it could help.

I am a very visual person. I can be told a thousand times how to do something and there is a 50% chance of it sinking in. But if you show me how it is done I will figure it out and probably never forget it.

I have admired both of the minis thus far posted on this thread. I thought the ice armour that SaxonAngel painted was not only very creative, but perfectly executed. I also thought I could never pull it off. Now, having seen it close up, I have a better understanding of how she got the colors she did and how she highlighted, et cetera. I will be more willing to try the ice effect myself.

Likewise on the Cyril model. While this close up it is still a fantastic job, it definitely shows brushlines on the flesh. From this I can see where he changed colors and what colors he might have used. (Is Cyril a he?) And let\'s not forget about that NMM. I have read 10 articles at least on how to do this technique. All of my efforts to reproduce it have failed. By seeing what Cyril has done I can copy it exactly (as a means of practice) until I fully understand the principle behind it.

barkel

Treacherous_1

Default i know exactly what you mean

yeah i agree with you entirely barkel! i am of a similar nature learning mainly from seeing it in real life. i was also soooooo particular of my painting. i never knew how fine the transition between shades should be until i saw this. it was a great topic!!! wish i had thought of it!

excellent, the closer the better. Of course, the last pic in this thread wasn\'t helpful, because the blending is so tight even at magnification it\'s hard to see the brush marks.

I\'m sure it\'ll be helpful, but I still feel like I\'m missing something. It\'s like there\'s one epiphany I need to get better. Well, hopefully more people will post and maybe I\'ll find it.

Default Ummm.

Does anybody know if Amanthas is single?

barkel

ps. Not that I care. I\'m married. To a woman. Who is real. Really.

pps. But if I weren\'t, and I happened to be a few millimeters taller, I\'d go after Amanthas.lol

Default Good luck to you!

Originally posted by barkel
    pps. But if I weren\'t, and I happened to be a few millimeters taller, I\'d go after Amanthas.lol
    Have you seen the size of her pussy:o

Default P-p-p... p-p-pu... her p-p-p... wh-what?

I honestly don\'t know how to answer that Finn. I cannot see it. There is a pussy blocker in the way. In that huge picture it looks big enough.

If I were to say, \"I can imagine it,\" would I be a bad person? How bout if I said, \"I have imagined it... several times... since I started typing this response.\" Not that I have.

The real mini however, would be quite small, I imagine. Perhaps even too small for me.

barkel

Default Oh, her cat! Boy is my face red.

I thought that topic was a little blue for this forum. Boy those brush strokes are small. And how about the fantastic shading.

--insert three or four more topical comments here to make decent people forget about last post.

barkel

klute_in_the_valute

Well theres no way Im claiming to be a fantastic painter:(but heres my offering any way.

Well, this is not my best paintign by any means, but it is the closest I can get to a HUGE picture... that is clear at least :D

Sorry. I will see what else I have an dif I can get a good close up :D

Default This close up looks pretty good.

All of my minis are posted this close, or nearly. I think I have it smaller, but when I transfer it to CMON it get\'s huge.

At first I thought my super close up pics were the reason I was getting scored so low, because everyone could see my brush strokes. But now that I see how good these minis look up close I am second guessing that notion.

barkel

when I get home tonight I\'ll show you what I mean by close up.

Default Amazing!

Originally posted by SaxonAngel
    Except for the fact I\'m not Goatman or Arjay\'s class of painter, I think I can meet almost all your criteria. Here goes:

The following image was posted in response to a thread about a model.

Thread is here:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=2637

And because it\'s late and I\'m lazy, that\'s about as much effort as I am going to bother putting into this. :P

:innocent:
    I don\'t know why you keep saying you are not a \"painting God\". OK, Goddess. :D

That transparent sword is freakin\' amazing! :o :o :o

Originally posted by Coyote
    when I get home tonight I\'ll show you what I mean by close up.
    Honestly, what\'s the point of getting closer than these? If you want to see flakes of paint pigment, my camera just won\'t cope....