A coolminiornot competitor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A coolminiornot competitor?

Default A coolminiornot competitor?

Just came across a new painted miniature rating site, wondered if anyone else had seen/heard of it.

http://www.paintitsu.com/ - The painted wargaming miniature review site.

From the site:
    \"Welcome to the Paintitsu Gallery
    Welcome to Paintitsu.com, the painted war game miniature review website. If you paint and customize your gaming miniatures for fantasy, contemporary, or sci-fiction for war gaming, or for show. Then Paintitsu.com is the place for your peer reviews and ratings. Please login or register to start posting, rating and reviewing. \"

Personally I don\'t really see the point. Do we really need two miniature rating sites? Plus this new one is no where near as functional or good looking.

BOOOO!!!! :mad::flame::evil::cussing:

Blah, that looks like it would be scary trying to find out how it works. Looks very messy as well. I think i will stick with just CMON for now. :)

a scoring system out of FIVE?!! are they mad? 10 doesn\'t allow enough leeway imo

It looks like a bucket of fishheads. Not at all nice.

Like a Pound Shop version lol

saw this the other week and wasnt really impressed. simple forums have as much capability as this site so i can seeing it dying a quick death

lets give the boys a chance. you never know they might work out. course i am already on 4 or 5 forums as is and thats enough for me. so i wont be frequenting it. if they offer free back rubs maybe they could entice me.

hehe

I recall the Black Orc forums used to be a \"competitor\" for CMON in many ways, albeit with a different focus and much more generous scoring tendencies (a 5-6 here tended to be an 8-9 there). I don\'t see anything wrong with there being as many mini sites as the market will bear, perhaps with different emphases.

There are a lot of painters/gamers who see CMON as a snob site where their best efforts will be scorned by voters accustomed to flawless professional paint jobs.

Originally posted by No Such Agency
    There are a lot of painters/gamers who see CMON as a snob site where their best efforts will be scorned by voters accustomed to flawless professional paint jobs.
    We could solve that by banning anyone with an average over 7.8... :D

Originally posted by reverend
    Hey Pound Shop get some good stuff in.
    Mini tripods for a £1.
    Toys for conversions.
    Paper overalls for those dirty jobs.
    12 packs of Andrex.
    \"Artists brushes\" ....Good for using with PVA Glue and sand.
    Chocolate biscuits with 2 days left on the sell by date.

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    12 packs of Andrex.
    hmmm i wonder what exactly those jobs entail

Originally posted by darklord
    12 packs of Andrex.
    Fibreglass insulation, Laser printer toner spillage, Underfloor cabling tracing after sub-contractors fail to label stuff.
    Those kind of dirty jobs where I\'m loathe to just \"dump\" it on someone else.

Originally posted by darklord
    12 packs of Andrex.
    Fibreglass insulation, Laser printer toner spillage, Underfloor cabling tracing after sub-contractors fail to label stuff.
    Those kind of dirty jobs where I\'m loathe to just \"dump\" it on someone else.
    Ah, so that\'s what the Andrex is for!

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

Which is us. Although, I will give the place a chance, see if it is at all good.

60 minis and (presumably) climbing. Gotta start somewhere, I suppose.

As a frightening comparison, paintitsu\'s mini library is the same ratio of CMON\'s mini library as $100M is of the U.S. federal budget deficit for March 2009. Owie.

Hmm, doesn\'t look bad, but I don\'t think I\'ll go back. The rating system needs more granularity, and a way of evening out results. The nice shadowseer with freehand was getting almost the same score as the not so nice drybrushed LOTR figures. Since CMON already has both these features, plus top painters who\'ll really challenge me...

Designed by someone who is graphically illiterate! Poor.

The best \'competitor\' CMON had was that Agora in Miniatura Italian site a few years back. Stuck around for about a year, then died a death. It was ok. Apart from being completely in Italian :D

Its gunna flop. I used to be a member there but then i found out it was very buggy and hard tonavigate. This seems like a much better site

Default Replying to your Feedback

Just thought I would pop in and say hello. I had a lot of fun reading your comments (yes I know 7-8 months later, but hey... Life is life), and I thought I would give you all a little heads up on how and why Paintitsu was created.

First, off I just want to introduce myself. My name is Nick Davis I used to work for GW for about 12-13 years, finally being let go about five years ago. My main job was working on White Dwarf magazine and generally did my bit for the GW hobby. I've been around wargaming in many forms for almost 27 years of my 37 year life.

Paintitsu was created as project to learn .php and how to intregrate a popular gallery software with CSS and HTML4 coding. I initially wanted to create a peer review gallery that would allow the end user to also use as a online portfolio and a place to archive his creations.

I got the basics' of the website cracked, got the peer review 5 stars to work, user generated sign ups figured out along with comment generation. Once that was done I choose that name Paintitsu as a play-on and tribute to the older Blanchitsu 'Eavy Metal articles/Galleries of old.

It was never set up as a rivil to this website, you are much bigger than paintitsu, but rather as an alternative place to have fun with your toy soldiers, hell its not even a revenue generating website, nor was it ever meant to be. Since its launch I've learned how to add a couple of interesting features like Emailing images as postcards to your friends, shorter URL for social networking websites, and giving the User greater control of his own images/comments.

It was a lot of fun to set up and tinker with. I've pretty much left it alone now the initial project has run its course and I've learned all I could from it. The website is still avery much a one trick wonder, and I'm now moving onto full CMS websites which give me greater control of what I would like to create and see on the internet for myself.

Since reading this post I've revisited Paintitsu and spent a couple of hours learning about and added a couple of new features. There is now multiple ways to upload your images, and an in gallery editing program. Which is fun to use. Plus I rejigged the About page to greater explain what Paintitsu is about so there is no more confusion on why it was created.

Got to return to my other projects now and let Paintitsu wander around to find its own way again. I'll let you all use or ignore paintitsu, thats really up to you. The website will be around for as long as I want to pay for my alt-world servers, and as my primary websites on there it will be around for a very, very long time.

Hey, just thought I would throw that all out there
    Arigato,
    Nick Davis

Personally I'd like to see some competition to CMON but I doubt it will happen. There was that site where you could rate at 9.5, 8.5 etc but I'm not sure if it's still around. It had a lot of catching up to do though.

As has been mentioned your site is very rough Nick, and a 5 point rating just will not do plus it has the word "tit" in the address preceeded by the word "pain".

This being said it would be nice to see this or another paint rate site develop and flourish.