CMON Contest 13 - Sihoban Nightshade

Thread: CMON Contest 13 - Sihoban Nightshade

Default CMON Contest 13 - Sihoban Nightshade

I was just able to get the contest entry finished and posted today.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone else who might have purchased this fig.

I am very curious to see if they had the same issues as I had with this. Cathy tried to work with it as well, and was equally as frustrated.

Not exactly what I was expecting when I opened the package, to say the least.

Here\'s a link:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/219996

What issues wr you having? Is it that the arms did not fit the weapon? I also have posted my contest entry up too.

I just ordered her last night - no chance of entering the comp, but I thought she looked fun. I\'m intrigued to hear more of your experiences with her; the paint job is great but I think not up to your usual standard, it does look like she fought back!

Things I particularly like are the pink hair (recipe? :)) and the base.

This figure was a big disappointment for both Cathy and myself when we first saw it.

We had expected something more like an Anima tactics figure when we saw the concept art.

There were major sculpting and casting issues with this figure. I had to resculpt parts of it just to get it to stay in one piece and not look silly. Lots of strange double mould lines and misshaped parts.

Even areas as simple as the hair were very rough and bulky. Actually, that was what struck both of us about this figure. It is very bulky and flat in general.

It was a major chore to paint. I was not even going to bother with it, but I didn\'t want to feel like I wasted my money by letting it collect dust somewhere.

I normally don\'t mention these things, but we were not terribly thrilled with this one. There should have been an image of the green at least to go with the concept art.

Erk. Thanks for the info! Obviously, I\'ll wait and see what mine looks like, but you really haven\'t filled me with confidence! Must admit I was hoping for something Anima Tactics-esque too. I\'m rather partial to the style, although I only own one!

Ah well, there\'s still that elf chick to look forward to! By an ex-Rackham sculptor, so should be good.

i would never buy a mini based solely on the concept art! lesson learned i hope. sorry to hear it was such a chore, you have done what you can with a rather crappy mini. do you have any photos of it before it was painted?

Hehe... the only thing on my mind prior to painting this was how many ways I could destroy it;) I was in a foul mood anyway since we had to put down our dog at the same time I had to paint this, so the frustration meter was at maximum anyway.

Cathy was speculating that there might have been a rush to deadline during every phase of this mini\'s production.

We have had many buyers who purchased minis based on painted display pieces. They soon find out that the miniature itself is incredibly difficult to assemble or keep intact.

There are several miniature lines that we won\'t paint, since we can\'t guarantee that the miniature will arrive safely or be useable for a game, etc.

I have been hearing that the Gamezone figures suffer from this. They look incredible, but they are somewhat booby-trapped when it comes to actually putting them together:D

Again, I normally just forget about these things and move on, but we were both very curious to see what other people felt about the minis they had gotten.

This was originally going to be a figure that I took to our various painting seminars to illustrate a few of our techniques, but that idea was blown up the moment we saw them in person:rolleyes::no:

sorry to hear about your dog. it\'s always a tough time- they become part of the family

re- gamezone. there are terribly cast normally (although i have had a few nice ones) but they have wonderful sculpts, it\'s a shame, i wish they would improve their casting (or just sculpt crap cos then i wouldnt bother!)

Originally posted by Wappellious
    This figure was a big disappointment for both Cathy and myself when we first saw it.

We had expected something more like an Anima tactics figure when we saw the concept art.

There were major sculpting and casting issues with this figure. I had to resculpt parts of it just to get it to stay in one piece and not look silly. Lots of strange double mould lines and misshaped parts.

Even areas as simple as the hair were very rough and bulky. Actually, that was what struck both of us about this figure. It is very bulky and flat in general.

It was a major chore to paint. I was not even going to bother with it, but I didn\'t want to feel like I wasted my money by letting it collect dust somewhere.

I normally don\'t mention these things, but we were not terribly thrilled with this one. There should have been an image of the green at least to go with the concept art.
    I hear you. I got three copies of this mini, two to paint and an extra, but found all three copies to be unsuitable. The best out of the three also had the weird double mold lines, a squished face, missing details and just in general a nightmare sculpt to clean and repair. I took a good long look at that \"best\" sculpt and the work involved with making it look \"ok\" enough to paint and shelved it. Pity since the concept had some great potential.

Congrats to you guys though, and everyone who actually painted one, for wading through the casting issues to do so.

My sympathies about your dog. It\'s always hard to lose a family member, especially the four footed ones.

Maya~

Thankfully I only bought the one, I was going to paint her up like the concept artwork but when she arrived the casting wasn\'t clean, she was flat and there was a lot of flash that requires hours and hours to remove.
    The hands holding the weapon don\'t fit either so in the end she went into the maybe later pile :( disapointing really considering the others for the previous competion.

Many thanks to everyone for your sympathies on our dog:innocent:

I will post a pic of him tomorrow. It was particularly difficult as we lost our cat in December.

Our dog was known throughout the neighborhood, since Cathy and I would take breaks in between long painting sessions to walk the dog. People who we didn\'t even know would come up to us or drive past us on the street and ask how he was doing. ;)

He looked a like a half-sized wolf, which thrilled me, as I have painted dozens of wolf images. I have painted him a few times as well. Perhaps I should create a miniature of him.:bouncy:

I made miniature versions of Cathy and myself to put on top of our wedding cake. However, it was a bit heavy, and it was making our homemade cake start to sag a bit!

I had also gotten 3 of the minis. One each for Cathy and myself, and one to sell to pay for the three. I think Cathy assembeled hers a bit differently than I did.

I tried to bend the weapon so that it would fit around the hair but not touch the base. Cathy bent hers so that one blade went in front of the hair, and not behind it as I did with mine.

Did anyone try something else to make it easier to get a brush into the deep recesses of the hair?:o

Sorry to hear about your dog. Pets really do become part of the family, and it\'s always a wrench when they go. A mini of him would be a nice tribute, I think. :)

(I\'ll put my thoughts on Sihoban here when I get her, I think.)

Excellent idea about the mini. dog, I would love to see a WIP ! Maj\'s sympathies are with you, its a hard time alright when a little friend has gone to Rainbow Bridge.

With regards to Sihoban, my cast was pretty poor too. It was not an easy mini to paint or prepare, when it came to the arms I just modelled ice balls for mine (she is an ice queen now!) and kept the weapon in my bitz box. With regards to the hair, I just used REALLY watered down paint to get into the recesses. The hair was a pain though lol.

Here are some pics of the dog.

These were taken when he was about 3 or 4 years old, I believe.

He didn\'t show his age, since he always had a white muzzlehttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Wappellious/Gus9resize.jpg[/IMG]]

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Wappellious/Gus5resize.jpg[/IMG]]

Ahh. Gorgeous chap! Looking very happy too !

Aww. He looks like he was a real sweety.

Sweet-looking dog! Was he (part) Siberian Husky? It\'s one of my favourite breeds.

He was a shepherd/husky mix, with a bit of golden retreiver.

There was also the teeniest bit of wolf hybrid in there was well. He was about 74 pounds or so in his prime.

He was socialized to accept everyone, and not to jump on people, furniture, etc. He was a very mellow dog, and not a big barker.

He did get used to us being home all the time, since we bot paint miniatures. That usually worked very well, but it made those times we did have to leave more difficult for him.

So sorry to hear about your loss. I had to put my cat down in Feb.

He was a lovely dog.

Condolences. :(

aww he looks sweet