Swine Flu and travling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu and travling

Default Swine Flu and travling

I am going to Spain on Sunday. All this week i have been worrying (for a good reason) about going. I am 23 and have been to many places, however on this trip i am taking my 2 year old son. I have watched the swine flu cases and the more i watch the worse i worry about risking my son. Before he was born i would not have batted an eyelid about going. Its funny what parenthood does :)

I can see why you are worried, being a parent must have that affect on people! I am not a parent - I can barely look after myself let alone someone else lol!

lol, sounds like me prior to jack. Its ok though, he likes to basecoat some of my minis!!!

Aaah excellent! Sounds like you are training him up already!

Yup he likes bikes or WAM WAMS to him. Good excuse for a white scar marine army!!!

i wouldn\'t stress too much about goin\' to spain...
    while the youths, and the elderly are usually the most at risk to catch something, it\'s not like you\'re goin\' to mexico city, or anywhere in mexico...

kids are also a lot more resilient than we give \'em credit for...

is WAM WAM his version of VROOM VROOM???

have a good trip...

cheers
    jah

Yea, I watched him get the keys to my R1 climb on, put keys in and turn ignition on, then the starter button followed by the throttle. A veryyy big WAM WAM followed that, which in all probability scared the neighbors!!!!lol

sg2009

think of it this way i know it sounds bad but there are far more things more likley to cause harm to your son than swine flu.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

not sure about over there, but here in the U.S.:
    about 100 cases of swine flu: 1 death out of 300 million people...

Over 35,000 died last year in automobile accidents.

I know. Could be a case of \" watch that bus, what bus, SPLAT\"

Lol Master of fact, good old Rimmer quote there! If you are really worried about the flu :

Practice general preventive measures for influenza:

* Avoid close contact with people who appear unwell and have fever and cough.
    * Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly and often.
    * Practice good health habits including adequate sleep, eating nutritious food, and keeping physically active.

Taken from the WHO website. Hope this helps you! I really wouldn\'t worry about it to be honest.

Yay Red dwarf fan!!! I know its low risk but in the local Newspaper (Belfast telegraph) they pretty much say put your head between your legs and kiss your barcelona goodbye!!! Media has a lot to answer for.

PS what you think of Red Dwarf Back to earth if you seen them?

Originally posted by majestic0110

[...]

Practice general preventive measures for influenza:

* Avoid close contact with people who appear unwell and have fever and cough.
    * Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly and often.
    * Practice good health habits including adequate sleep, eating nutritious food, and keeping physically active.

[...]
    The only funny thing about all that advice is that all three are things we should be doing anyway.

Blog Entries

To put it into further perspective -

13000 people died of the regular flu in the states last year.

WHO and the Media are fearmongering.

You know I want to belive it\'s fearmongering but when they economically shut down mexico for 5 days and now close the border (which has me out of work as we can\'t get parts from Mexico) I start to think there is more to it then that.

Originally posted by steelcult
    To put it into further perspective -

13000 people died of the regular flu in the states last year.

WHO and the Media are fearmongering.
    To put it correctly in perspective it is the media that is fear mongering.

The World Health Organization has very clear criteria on what each level of on their scale means. It\'s not their fault that others choose to misrepresent their scale.

Level 1 is transmission among animals

Level 2 is transmission from animals to humans

Level 3 is possible transmission among humans

Level 4 is definitive transmission among humans

Level 5 is definitive transmission among humans in multiple countries within a specific region

Level 6 is definitive transmission among humans in multiple regions

It\'s very clear cut. There isn\'t much gray area.

The numbers are just reference points, not necessarily that a Level 3 virus is three times as bad as a Level 1 virus.

If something is a pandemic it simply means that it is a) infectious, b) contagious and c) dispersed. It says nothing about being a species killer -- not that anyone would know that if they just watched the news.

You can take my word for it, or you can look it up; they\'re not secretive about their scale.
    http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/phase/en/index.html

You might also want to take note of the post-pandemic end that they are expecting and that no one in the news seems to care to report.

Of all the involved parties responsible for the madness over this, the WHO is the LAST group to blame. It is, in effect, blaming the doctor for telling you that you might be sick.

Blog Entries

Actually according to this from the Mexican Health Service Head, WHO may have some answering to do

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_swine_flu_mexico

Originally posted by steelcult
    Actually according to this from the Mexican Health Service Head, WHO may have some answering to do

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_swine_flu_mexico
    Actually that story has nothing to do with the WHO.

You may be thinking of this story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/med_swine_flu;_ylt=AtzT9484LGxWrNm9DdF5Qxi9IxIF;_y lu=X3oDMTE2dmw3aGttBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bi1yLWItbGVmdAR zbGsDLWFwOm1leGljbydz

Which faults the WHO for not calling it a pandemic SOONER. All that testing and confirmation takes time so that the WHO DOESN\'T go off on every flu warning all over the planet.

Optomistic View: It\'s not as lethal as Regular Flu

Pessimistic View: We\'re over-populated anyway.:D

SARS cost me nearly a grand on a trip I had booked to Toronto when it hit.

I\'m not booking any holidays at the moment :D