FW Space Marine
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FW Space Marine

Default FW Space Marine

After lurking here for many years on the site I decided to post my recent project. First real painting project since many years. Last 10 years I\'ve been mostly modeling in 3D Studio Max but about a month ago the bug bit me again to paint something. And since that has become a rare event, I thought to do it well...
    Not that I think I can approach giganticdark\'s level with his sublime sculpt but I\'m going to give it my best shot ;)

For those that aren\'t familiar with the model i\'s a large scale Space Marine from Forgeworld. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Modellin...CE-MARINE.html
    Since it\'s a very detailed and expensive model I\'m not taking this lightly. Over the past few weeks I\'ve been slowly prepping the model and the last bits just came today, which are some separate etched brass icons to further enhance the model.
    I also did some preliminary paintbrush testing on a piece of cardboard and some advanced weathering tests on a half-painted Dreadnought model that had been gathering dust since 3 or 4 years. I noticed that for future model shots, I\'ll have to set up some sort of light box or just block off any direct sunlight with white paper to allow for translucency but no glare.

So here are some pics.

First off: the gathered materials. In the background you can also see my PC used for my 3D madness.

Second some shots of my test-cardboard, the yellow technique will be used for one shoulder pad, the red for the rest of the marine.

And third, some shots of the new-style dreadnoughts I have painted over the past 15 years or so.
    The first is the original model as they first came out, so god knows how old it is...

Second is a heavily converted one I made around 10 years ago, the left arm is fully converted. +-10 or 12 years old

The third is the most recent (metal) model and is still being finished. (hence the masking tape). +-4 years old, just been weathering it since a week or three (slowly).

Enjoy. :D
    Last edited by Meph; 07-25-2014 at 03:33 AM.

Good luck! I would love to have the guts to paint that model! If it is half as good as the other guys it will be awesome!

Cheers MoF! I\'ll do me best!:D

First, an undercoat of black

Then a light coat of boltgun metal, some metallic medium and Klear. This is not meant to cover the metallic parts but rather provide some metallic patches here and there after the salt weathering. The urge to make a Grey Knight is suddenly tempting...

Next a light coat of rust coloured paint, made from mixing various brown paints, inks and Klear. This is also applied irregularly to provide the rust flaking after the salt weathering process.

Last edited by Meph; 08-13-2010 at 09:33 AM.

looks real good so far, keep up the good work:)

Thanks Cassar! :)

The parts are salted right now but I\'ll post some pics tomorrow.

In the mean time I could use some feedback though. I did a little colour mockup in Photoshop of what I have in mind for the helmet. Never mind the crappy shading, it\'s just for colour placement.
    What do you guys think, is this pattern good enough to go for?

Last edited by Meph; 05-10-2010 at 01:48 PM.

o.k., as i scrolled through the pics of the black based fig with all the brass etch, i though, \"this is gonna be a cool mini\"...

the metal, and rust passes loook great, and then we come to the colour mock-up of the helmet, and suddenly my eyes hurt...
    the wedge shaped stripe is not doin\' it for me...even the mix of red and gold isn\'t workin\'...
    i would just go for a tarnished gold helmet...
    there will be plenty of red on the rest of the mini to let us know that he\'s a blood angel...
    if you\'re set on a gold stripe, make it solid, instead of a wedge, and keep the black stripe thin...

just my 2cents..

look forward to watching this guy progress...

cheers
    jah

No mate you\'re absolutely right. The idea sounded ok in my head but even when making the mockup it felt not right. I did some other colourc scvhemes as well but none just sits right. Even though I\'m not a big fan of fully gold helmets, I\'ll go for it. I\'m sure that with a wetahered and beaten appearence it might look striking.

I stumbled across the same brand of alcohol/gold paint that giganticdark used for his unsurpassable model and I think i\'ll emulate his technique of getting rid of the alcohol and using the gold past with acryllic thinner to airbrush. A little pot filled with the alcohol paint has been sitting on a shelf since yesterday and is reducing nicely.

In the mean time, time for an Austin Powers quote...

\'mmMMm Shalty!\'

Last edited by Meph; 05-10-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Default colour scheme

the black n brass all nicely weatherd would look really awsome, not sure about the red though i dont now if you would consider it but check out this commission conversion i did a while back its not that hard to do and would give you a more unique model
    [img][/img]its all made from milliput and the only conversion to the model is adjusting both hands slightly. all the best and keep up the great work

Ow mate, that is an awesome conversion. Very cool with the heavy bolter. When originally buying the model I toyed with the idea for convering it but as it\'s the first time in a long, long time that I\'m painting anything, especially something this large I decided to go for the original model in Blood Angel colours. As my main 40K army had always been BA Space Marines. Kind of as an homage to the times before i got into Graphic- and 3D-Design, when i was just painting and converting miniatures.

I must say that I\'m getting the vibe again for making \'touchy-feely\' stuff again instead working on a PC all the time. I find the whole process to be remarkably soothing and relaxing.

Already the seed has sown to perhaps order another one after this and give that one a good workover to convert it....:D

Out of curiosity, is there a metal frame/wire support in that modeled bolter and ammo feed?

Right at this moment I\'m prepping to coat and highlight the red armour...
    The right shoulder pad with the brass symbols will get a cracked yellow coat. The helmet I\'ll make gold then.

Any suggestions on how best to apply a large BA symbol on the left shoulder pad?
    Masking tape, masking foil, masking fluid or a custom decal that\'s printed on decal paper?

Oh Cassar, forgot to ask. Do you have any pics from the finished and painted model? I\'m very curious to see.

As a trade-off:
    The red basecoat.

Candy anyone?

First highlights. I gently sprayed two separate and gradual highlights on some parts of the model. Finally I gave some parts a soft touch with pure white to gain soem mroe contrast. As I thought and anticipated, this made the colour a bit faded and pinkish so I gave the model a sprayed red wash to enhance the depth of the red and then finally a gently yellow wash on white-highlighted parts to transform the pink shine in a soft yellow shine. This is a small shortcurt to avoid having to use half a dozen or more red/yellow mixes. Also, because the model is so large id does not need large and harsh highlights. A lot of weathering still to follow.

Then played around a bit with the shutter settings of the camera.

Higlights on the rest, as you can see, some salt blew away during the airbrushing but this doesnt matter, they give some depth to the red as further highlighting and the washes faded them out a bit.

:D
    Last edited by Meph; 05-10-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Amazing to see what can happen in one afternoon. :qq:
    I\'m quite happy with the effect, but I wonder if i might not touch up some areas with red again...

Last edited by Meph; 05-10-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Looking great ! How did you apply the salt and get it to stick? And how did you remove it? Looking really good, been watching this thread from the start.

Cheers mate!

To describe the process in a bit more detail. Weathering using salt allows for some very realistic paint chipping effect. You basically undercoat the model in suitable metallic/rust coloured, these will be the tiny \'chips\'. Next, Coat the model with a decent coat of satin varnish to seal and protect said paint layer.

Next, prep some rock salt, grind it down to the size you want.
    Next, get some ordinary hair spray and copiously coat the model with the hair spray untill it\'s wet, next sprinkle the salt over it. This has to be done fast as hairspray dries rather quickly.

Let the whole thing dry out and spray over your true base colour and highlights. Once that layer is dry, you can hold the pice onder some cold running water and brush away the salt, the cold (important, hot water will dissove too much hairspray and thus, paint)water will help the salt melt.
    So if all goes well you\'re left with a highlighted paneling with chipped paint, revealing a metallic or rusty layer underneath. If the contrast between paint/chips is too harsh you can always mist over a thin layer of base colour.

The thing is, the hair spray is sticky but not glue so it attaches the salt but it can still easily be removed by gentle rubbing or washing.

After the salt is gone, coat you model again with satin varnish to seal everything and you\'re good to go with further weathering and detailing.

It can also be done with sand but it tends to stick a bit more and well, salt melts under water, which is so much easier...

Default re heavey bolter

i know what you mean doing this stuff calms me down too, with regards to the feed belt no there isnt any wire inside i roll out a strip of milliput flattened it into roughly the right shape and proportions then left it to set for about half an hour before attaching the still pliable belt to the bolter and back pack i then left it to set fully in that position, once it set i then used a belt sander to get the sharpened edges and a dremmel multi tool with a cutting wheel to do the links detail, hope that helps.. As for the finished model no i dont have any pictures the chap who commisioned it painted it himself. p.s. theres also a lion cloth and long purity seals hiding behind the bolter. the painting you\'re doing is turning out really great the red is smooth yet vibrant well done ,look forward to seeing it posted:)

I followed this thread for a while and methinks your airbrush skills are quite awesome, I also like the salt-chipping technique and how it came out.

About what you said about painting some chips back up red...well, in my opinion it now looks as if this poor marine walked through a weapons-grade sandstorm or really bad hail ;) That is, of course, completely okay for a marine, but I would agree when you say that some of the chipping is maybe a bit too heavy, for example on the one side of the backpack.

Apart from that, like it, like the red! :)

Greetings,
    Witzkatz

I am VERY Sorry to say that, but your Space Marine is looking like a Strawberry now... It would have been much better to use very fine salt...

Or Maskol...

You better paint some Areas Red again, then add smaller scratches with a rusty color... then you will have to Highlight each and every scratch from below...

It´s a great Project... Keep on...

Thanks guys!

yeah, the effect definitely needs some touching up, especially on the legs. It seems like he just stepped through several frag grenades that blew off the paint. The effects on the torso, back pack etc will be compensated by their own detailing, like the eagly on teh chest and big skull on the backpack.

So I think I\'ll touch up the legs and left shoulder pad with red. Then I\'ll sponge on some smaller weathering chips.

I didn\'t want to use too fine salt as on my test carboard that resulted in sandy patches as the fine salt just absorbs too much and sticks too had to the underlayer. It already ground down the rock salt a bit but true, it could have been just a tiny bit finer. Luckily \'dry-sponging\' on some black/rust/metallic paint will go along way.
    After that then the scratches/chips need some individual highlighting.

I think I\'ll do that today and if there\'s time enough I\'ll get started on the oil paint weathering.

I got a good solution for the perfect gold colour, the idea came from giganticdark over here at Coolminiornot.
    Vallejo has a gold pigment is an alcohol sollution. Alcohol\'s not too friendly to the airbrush so to be able to use I poured some into a tiny cup so it could settle and let the alcohol evaporate over the course of a day or two.
    Then I scooped the gold sludge into an airbrush jar, mixed it with acryllic thinner and voilà, almost true gold colour. I used it for the helmet and will be used for other detailing too. The cool thing is that you can actually polish the stuf by gently rubbing it. One I removed the salt I\'ll up some more pics.

The gold paint came out a bit too thick though on the first run, hence the odd texture the helmet has now. I\'ll rub that down and add some more thinned layers of gold to lessen the contrast from the chipped weathering. The shine is also very difficumlt to capture on camera. It really has a very nice shine and feel to it to see in person.

I\'m currently still updating the red a bit too, the top of the shoulder pad was a bit too peppered indeed.
    I got a full way ahead of me for weathering. Dry-sponged chips, oil paints for rust, panel lines and oil stains, weathering powders, graphite weathering (pencil)...

Last edited by Meph; 02-06-2011 at 06:28 AM.

The Helmet after some extra sponged on weathering, followed by a misted on, thin coat of gold again and then a prayed on wash of some Burnt Umber-like briwn ink wash, heavily thinned with Klear and some light touches of a similarly thinned yellow/brown ink. One this is dry, it\'s ready for some subtle highlighting and then it\'ll be time for thinned oil paints and some weathering powder.

The rest of the model received some sponged on weathering with a dull metal mixed colour as well as some Bolt Gun chipping. The paints were put in a very small percelain tray I use as palette and was only used when decently dried to an almost sticky consistency, then I used some small sponge, actually, just the little sponge/foam thingy you find in each model blister, cut to size a bit. then dip it slightly and dab it off on some cloth untill almost fully dry and the I went to work.

Backpack

Torso

Legs

Shoulder Pad

Arms

I especially like this photo, taken with a very short shutter time, looks almost like you might find in a display case in a dark exhibit somewhere...

Last edited by Meph; 05-10-2010 at 01:45 PM.

nice work, meph...
    he\'s lookin\' good so far...

the little barded wire around the shoulder rim is a nice little touch i\'ve never seen done before...

cheers
    jah