Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Finding (and Buying) Rackham Confrontation miniatures (UPDATED 6/20)

Default Guide to Finding (and Buying) Rackham Confrontation miniatures (UPDATED 6/20)

Introduction
    I just started collecting miniatures last August or so and got hard into Rackham Confrontation this January, snatching up whatever I could find on the internet. I unfortunately missed the near-legendary clearance sales of last year (although found little remnants here and there), but eventually was able to find almost everything I was looking for. But it took time! And diligence.

Anyhow, when I first started searching for stuff I didn\'t know where to look. I found a few figures here and there in online retailers, and of course Ebay still has the largest selection online, but it took some time before I got the lay of the land.

What I am offering here is what I would have loved to read three or four months ago: A guide to finding the now out-of-print Rackham Confrontation miniatures. One of the frustrations that I continually ran into was online stores saying that they had something and then actually not having it; one store, IconUSA.com, for example had a large list of Rackham figures--many of which I was having trouble finding--and then about a week after I placed an order, they emailed me saying that they sold the last of their Confrontation stuff the week prior! This list is meant to help you avoid that sort of thing...For anyone looking I hope this helps!

A Note about the Rackham Store website: They\'ve been done for a few weeks now, after having a 50% off clearance sale. Evidently Rackham is selling the rest of their metal stock to an unknown distributor and will no longer sell metals at all.

REFERENCE
    Seeing as the Rackham Store has been down for weeks I\'ve had a difficult time referencing Confrontation figures, but thanks to a kind member of CMON I discovered Zinndex.de, which has everything listed as far as I can tell. Unless you speak German you have to click on the figure to find out what its name is.

PRIMARY SOURCES
    By far the two most useful sources have been Ebay and Bartertown--everything else pales in comparison. Update 6/20: Add Ludik Bazar to the list; the recently bought the Rackham Store\'s remaining metal stock (see below).

EBAY
    Easily the largest selection currently online, Ebay has anywhere from about 60 to 200+ active auctions at any one time, as well as 2,000+ Buy It Now items (The Neutral Zone is probably the largest single store). The downside with Ebay is that you generally won\'t get great deals, especially with the Buy It Now auctions, which tend to run 70-100% of retail. Occasionally you\'ll find good deals in the auctions, though, sometimes for less than 50% retail--especially if the figures are out of blisters and/or primed.

The key with Ebay is checking it regularly. There might be no new items for a few days and then someone puts up dozens of auctions. You can find great deals if you just check often enough; for example, I recently bought a Falconers of Alahan blister for $6 including shipping...it just so happens that no one was really looking for those figures (including myself), but why not grab it for a few bucks?

BARTERTOWN
    This is where you\'ll find real jewels. The trick with Bartertown is to be diligent, check it often and, most of all: post a list of what you want. I haven\'t seen a ton of variation of what is listed in the last few months, but when I\'ve posted my own list of wants I\'ve gotten some PMs and some very helpful and friendly sellers. Expect to pay 60-70% of retail. And make sure you leave a good reference!

Ludik Bazar
    A great source if you\'re in Europe and not terribly expensive shipping-wise if you\'re in teh US: they have a flat rate fee of 10 Euros (which is about $13.40 right now). I just picked up a few hard-to-find figures for relatively cheap: Cerberus, Kaeliss, and the Watcher--all for just over $30 including shipping, which was very fast for crossing the Atlantic (about a week). Update 6/20: Ludik Bazar gets the upgrade to Primary Sources as it now has about 500 items in stock, including some relatively rare ones. The prices are generally good--anywhere from 70% off to around retail--and the shipping to the US isn\'t too bad, 10 Euro ($14) for a package less than 1 lb.

SECONDARY SOURCES
    Noble Knight Games
    Noble Knight still has a pretty good selection and ships very fast--if you order on Sunday night you\'ll get your package by the end of the week (or at least I have). The downside is the price: Their Rackham figures are discounted about 10-15%, which is decent but not as good as Ebay or Bartertown. The nice thing is that they are new and the service is reliable (and fast). They still have a few items that are relatively hard to find, like the Dragon of Lanever.

Miniature Market
    If I had written this a couple weeks ago I wouldn\'t even have mentioned Miniature Market, but they recently added a bunch of stuff, which are selling fast. Most of them are the ones that are usually easily available: Goblins, Kelt Sessairs, Dwarves of Tir-Na-Bor, and some of the other more common figures. But the nice thing is that they are on clearance prices--usually around 50% of retail, sometimes cheaper. If you buy more than $75 worth you get free shipping--and it is pretty quick. Update 6/20: Currently MM\'s Rackham Closeout stock has dwindled quite a bit to the \"dregs.\" But if you\'re looking to buy stuff cheap, especially Goblins, Dwarves, Sessairs, and a bit of everything else, take a look...they\'ve got some really cheap stuff (e.g. Sasia Samaris for $9, various blisters for $2-$3).

WORTH MENTIONING
    Brookhurst Hobbies
    Brookhurst was one of the big clearance sites and still has a few items left. Not much, but worth checking as some of them are 50% off and there are one or two rare finds for cheap.

Fantization
    I\'ve never actually ordered from Fantization as both times I\'ve tried they didn\'t have what I wanted (and said they had). I question the accuracy of their online stock, but it seems they have updated it--and it looks like they still have a lot of Rackham stuff (and a great selection otherwise)--at least if you search for it; Confrontation is not mentioned on their miniature page. I would recommend using a credit card, however, as when I placed an order with PayPal they charged me and then put my order on hold; I had to call a few times just to get them to cancel the order and refund me (they couldn\'t get the items anyway).

FRP Games
    A scattered and small selection, but worth checking out.

Wargames Supply
    Great selection, with over 400 different items available but unless you\'re in New Zealand you\'ll have to pay a flat rate of about $28 US.

Bargain Bin Gamer
    Only a few items but they\'re cheap and good service.

Dakka Dakka Forums
    Mainly a Warhammer trade site, they will occasionally have Rackham stuff. Worth browsing.

Chimera Hobby Shop
    A FLGS that has agood selection online and has a cheap flat rate $4 shipping.

There are other online stores that still have a few Rackham Confrontation figures, but those are the ones I know of and can vouch for on some level.

A NOTE ON RARE FIGURES
    Tanath - As rare as Tanath is supposed to be, he comes up on Ebay every week or so. The last auction I saw ended at about $38, so expect to play a nice chunk of change. Update 6/20: $30-35 seems to be the going rate for Tanath on Ebay, and he seems to come up every couple weeks or so.

Molochs - Although these are relatively recent figures they are very rare and quite expensive. I think the retail was $50; the last Molochs I saw on Ebay sold for twice that on a Buy It Now auction. There was a regular auction a few weeks ago that went for over $100.

Royal Guard of Doriman - This box set isn\'t as rare as I originally thought but I was desperately searching for it and even offered someone $70 (twice retail); I eventually found and bought two sets for $40 total and have since seen it sell on Ebay for $36, so keep your eyes open. But it doesn\'t come up often. Update 6/20: A new box just went for about $80 on Ebay, so the price can vary wildly.

Black Paladins - Possibly the Holy Grail of Rackham miniatures in terms of demand, in my three+ months of scouring Ebay I\'ve only seen them come up once, recently selling for $36--almost three times retail. I was lucky enough to buy a half dozen pre-assembled on Bartertown for $25; the point being, post your want list on Bartertown! You might be surprised at what people have and want to sell.

Dragon Titan of Aarklash - This most expensive of figures shows up every once in awhile; the last one on Ebay sold for almost $200, still less than its original list price of $250+. I haven\'t seen any shops that have it in stock.Update 6/20: An auction just ended at $385 (!) on Ebay, the second Dragon Titan I\'ve seen in the last couple months. It will be interesting to see if the next goes that high or if that was an outlier; I\'m guessing somewhere in-between, in the $275-$325 range.

Belial - I\'ve never seen anyone with this resin kit--I think it was originally only mail order. I wouldn\'t be surprised if Rackham sells it again considering they have gone to all resin.

Other - There are many other figures that are rare or relatively rare, but most pop up every so often on Ebay, or can be found through asking on Bartertown. Update 6/20: One that I\'ve never seen and been looking for is the Daikinee, Irul. Worg 1 is also pretty rare, as is the Orc Clan Trackers box, which jus went for about $125 on Ebay.

I hope this helps for anyone in the same boat I was a few months ago!

Perfect - our painting group challenge for June is to paint a Rackham mini - and we\'ve got a month to find a figure - I\'m sure this will help a lot of people who don\'t have one sat in a cupboard.

Every painter should have at least 10 unpainted Rackham minis in the cupboard at any given time :P

Nice guide Alchemist. Thanks for posting!

I\'ve undertaken a similar project over the past 6 weeks. Agree with everything you say. I was a bit lucky in that I\'d been grabbing good new sculpts from Rackham as they came out for the past 4 years or so. Problem was I\'d focused on a few armies (Orcs, Acheron, Dirz, Lions, Devourers and Goblins) to the near exclusion of the others. Grabbing even the favorites from the remaining armies has been a challenge, to say the least.

I also echo your thoughts on the rarities you list above. Couple others to add, just from my experience. I\'ve discovered that Daikinee elves can be hard to come by. The zephyrs and sylphs, especially. The Goblin Ashigaru are the highest remaining item on my list and have been impossible to find - I\'ve come across only one and it was \"lost in the mail,\" according to the online seller. Good luck tracking down the Mid-Nor Clan Box too (the chess set guys). I\'ve seen it pop up on ebay before, but it went for over $100. And if you\'re a Molochs owner, know that they are increasing in value by the week. I\'m starting to consider selling mine simply because of the offers I\'ve gotten . . . just last Friday a guy I trade with offered $300 for them.

Happy hunting!

Roadrunner

$300 for the Molochs! Miniature Market had a few for $25!!! I missed them, though. I do have one set but they are already assembled and shined--probably driving down the sale value if I wanted to sell them. My \"problem,\" such as it is, is that I really like pinning and assembling miniatures, often well before painting them...so it could be that in a few years that I have a lot of unpainted but assembled figures that I want to sell but have dropped the value on because I assembled them. Although it seems that the value doesn\'t drop that much, especially for the really rare items.

I think Miniature Market had zephyrs and slyphs, btw, but no longer. And I could have sworn I\'ve seen the Goblin Ashigaru around...not sure where.

Yeah, some of the Daikinee are hard to find--Irul, to name one. I was luckily able to find a Kaeliss for cheap on Ludik Bazar (which I\'m adding to the list).

Let me know if there are any other good sources to post--unless you want to keep them to yourselves! ;)

Rdrunner, for whatever reason I can\'t figure how to do a PM. Anyhow, FYI Noble Knight Games has both the War-Staff of Ashigaru and the Daikinee Zephyrs.

The Goblin Ashigaru

You could try Heretic Games

http://www.heretic-games.com/asgoboxset.html

Never used them, but came across the Ashigaru while looking for something else :)

@ Alchemist - thanks for the heads up on the Zephyrs. One more off the list. :)

@ Vern - those are the guys. I had never come across that site before - a bit sparse looking, but I\'ve put in the order regardless. Beggars can\'t be choosers. ;) Thanks for the tip there too!

Roadrunner

The weird thing about Heretic Games is that all the Rackham stuff they have starts with the letter \"A\"--there are no other items listed.

Just a heads up - the people at Heretic confirmed that the website is out of date. They\'re sold out of any Rackham metals.

I was able to find the Ashigaru through an Italian ebay store. I\'d actually add that to the suggested sources Alchemist mentions above. You\'ll be paying a premium, but if there\'s something you\'ve gotta have, make sure to check. Found some Ophidians and the Daikinee archers today, neither of which seem to pop up much state-side.

Cheers!

Roadrunner

Dai Bakemonos seem to be non existent!! Anyone see any for cheap then gimme a shout! Or just PM me :P

Blog Entries

Speaking of Rackham and Bartertown, I\'ve been trying to shift a few minis. If anyone is interested I have the following items </hijack>

Griffins of Akkylannia

GREM01X War-Staff of The Griffin : Warriors of the crusades
    GRMU01 Griffon Musician
    GRPE01 Griffon Icon Bearer
    GRFI05 Saphon the Purifier
    GREL02 Templars Inquisition
    GRTR02 Griffin Fusiliers 2
    GRMG01 Magistrate
    GRCH0 ABEL the Ill-tempered
    GREL11 Griffin Templars 3
    GRSP02 Griffin Exorcist
    GRGM02 Inquisitor 2

Dwarves of Tir-Na-Bor

NAEL03 Khor Warriors
    NAGM03 Thermo-Priest on Razorback
    NAGM01 Thermo-Priest 1
    NASP03 Dwarf Armourers
    NASP02 Dwarf Bombadier 2
    NAAV01 Kahinir the Savage
    NACH01 The One Eyed Pilgrim
    NAHE02 Hirh Karn, the Enraged

I\'d rather get rid of them in a few lots rather than piece by piece and also being in Japan the shipping for a single miniature isn\'t really worth it ;)

Everything is new in box apart from one of the Griffin Blisters and the Khor Warriors which has been opened 2 minis are primed.

Originally posted by Mr Scream
    Dai Bakemonos seem to be non existent!! Anyone see any for cheap then gimme a shout! Or just PM me :P
    Hey Scream, there\'s a thread on the Trading Forum from a collector whose selling off some old Rackham stuff. The Dai Bakemonos are on the list:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/....php?tid=32547

Otherwise, I don\'t see them all that often either.

Arma - let me check my \"still needed\" list. May be getting it touch with you soon.

Roadrunner

If anyone wants a Mid-Nor Clan Box or a Wolfen Clan Box, get in touch with me at [email protected] But as someone else pointed out, these go for a serious premium.

Failing that, I\'ve just come into a HUGE chunk of Dirz (neuromancers, ysis, d-clones, c-clones, plain clones, and more, but no tarascus, though), so if you want those, get in touch with me and we\'ll work out something.

Originally posted by Rdrunner
    Originally posted by Mr Scream
    Hey Scream, there\'s a thread on the Trading Forum from a collector whose selling off some old Rackham stuff. The Dai Bakemonos are on the list:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/....php?tid=32547

Otherwise, I don\'t see them all that often either.

Arma - let me check my \"still needed\" list. May be getting it touch with you soon.

Roadrunner

Cheers, PM sent !

Nice guide Alchemist. Thanks for posting!

I\'ve undertaken a similar project over the past 6 weeks. Agree with everything you say. I was a bit lucky in that I\'d been grabbing good new sculpts from Rackham as they came out for the past 4 years or so. Problem was I\'d focused on a few armies (Orcs, Acheron, Dirz, Lions, Devourers and Goblins) to the near exclusion of the others. Grabbing even the favorites from the remaining armies has been a challenge, to say the least.

I also echo your thoughts on the rarities you list above. Couple others to add, just from my experience. I\'ve discovered that Daikinee elves can be hard to come by. The zephyrs and sylphs, especially. The Goblin Ashigaru are the highest remaining item on my list and have been impossible to find - I\'ve come across only one and it was \"lost in the mail,\" according to the online seller. Good luck tracking down the Mid-Nor Clan Box too (the chess set guys). I\'ve seen it pop up on ebay before, but it went for over $100. And if you\'re a Molochs owner, know that they are increasing in value by the week. I\'m starting to consider selling mine simply because of the offers I\'ve gotten . . . just last Friday a guy I trade with offered $300 for them.

Happy hunting!

Roadrunner
    I have a new box set of the Molochs, that I would be happy to sell for that price Roadrunner :)

Just a heads up - the people at Heretic confirmed that the website is out of date. They\'re sold out of any Rackham metals.

I was able to find the Ashigaru through an Italian ebay store. I\'d actually add that to the suggested sources Alchemist mentions above. You\'ll be paying a premium, but if there\'s something you\'ve gotta have, make sure to check. Found some Ophidians and the Daikinee archers today, neither of which seem to pop up much state-side.

Cheers!

Roadrunner
    I\'m still unsure why you didn\'t get the Ashigaru War-Staff from Noble Knight--or is this box set different?

If you want a nice selection of confrontation minis go to www.e-minis.net. They are full price and you will most likely have to pay an additional $20 for shipping to US but they have alot of stuff still.

Hey Alchemist you have a message :)

Originally posted by Alchemist
    I\'m still unsure why you didn\'t get the Ashigaru War-Staff from Noble Knight--or is this box set different?
    That\'s right. The war staff is 6 figures, the Ashigaru are 9. Same style, but 2 different sets of completely different minis.

Aliengod3 - thanks for that tip. Filled a few harder to find pieces there.

Roadrunner