WH40K Rule changes

Thread: WH40K Rule changes

Default WH40K Rule changes

How do all you seasoned veterans of the game, view the rule changes in the various revisions?
    Is gameplay very different and are different armies/weapons given more benefits to increase their effectiveness, maybe to suit new releases?

I\'ve played from version 2 upwards and to be honest the majority of rules seem to favour a couple of things:

1: GW\'s marketing strategy of dropping point costs to increase the number of figures (& therefore sales) required to make 1000 points.

2: Tournament Playing. Gone are the fun (and hillarious) rules for Orks. Versions 3, 4 &5 are designed to make the game \'Faster\' ie more user friendly for tournament playing.

I was just curious, as I\'m not a gamer.
    I envisaged more of a strategy orientated game.
    I\'ll have to give it a go some time and see for myself.

Shadzar

I didn\'t feel like spending $50 just for a new rulebook for 3rd edition so haven\'t played anything since then except with other people that play second or third, whichever book I have.

Can\'t afford to keep updating rules every few eeks, or getting my army book just in time for the new version to come out and make it obsolete after a month or two.

I just stick with the rules that were out when Tau was introduced.

Originally posted by Shadzar
    I didn\'t feel like spending $50 just for a new rulebook for 3rd edition so haven\'t played anything since then except with other people that play second or third, whichever book I have.

Can\'t afford to keep updating rules every few eeks, or getting my army book just in time for the new version to come out and make it obsolete after a month or two.

I just stick with the rules that were out when Tau was introduced.
    I know exactly what you mean.

That\'s where playing Space Marines comes in handy: Codex:Space Marines is always the first of the bunch to go all the way with the new edition\'s rules.

The downside being that every codex after that tends to get cheesier to make it \"competitive\".

On topic: I tend to concur with Mike: Some rules and point costs are quite clearly a push for \"more minis needed\" (but hey, they are a business, after all). Also, one GW employee called the Apocalypse ruleset a \"license to print money\". So there.
    Gameplay rules overall I like. True, they do eliminate many of the quirky and whimsical things, but I like how they strive to keep different armies distinct in \"flavour\" while streamlining play, e.g. substituting combinations of General Special Rules (oxymoron?) for units\' or armies\' individual ones.

I like the way the new rules have gone. With all due respect to Dragonsreach, I have never laughed so hard as I did when I read the new Ork Codex. I don\'t think they made it less humorous, I think they made the humor appropriate for a game that might be under time constraints.

I like the fact that I can play a fast game, without a lot of wonky special rules to slow things up. I like this because it allows me the freedom to choose the style of game I play - a short game with my wife before I go to work is possible without disallowing the option of adding special rules/ scenarios when I game master our Sunday league game.

The only thing I miss is the sheaf of special scenarios in the main rulebook. 3 objectives and 3 setups makes for a nice blend of games, but the more story driven options were left out. As I am perfectly capable of making these on my own, however, I don\'t miss them that much.

5th edition is probably the best set of 40K rules to date. They cleaned up alot from 3rd and 4th ed, while still keeping the core mechanics. There are still issues, but it plays very well as a quick, relatively simple game. Numbers do play a much bigger role, so it is less common for Herohammer type builds to do as well. Gunlines are also less dominant thanks to running, cover, and greater role of LD in assaults.

There are still issues (especially with kill points) but it is pretty solid overall. I highly recommend you pick up the Black Reach rulebook for a cheap, easy to carry rulebook.

redgreen12

Default HI ALL

well you just got to ferget most of the old DARULLS and use the new the one thing i hate most all the dam books you got buy i wish thay stop reding DARULLS and let thes get played me i be happy thay never up date a gen that tuck out allthe cool stuf over the years the by whot ben reeding and hering thay just brot back a lot of wargere that over the yares GW elmanated like shokatak gun fore the orks or the cavergen bemer i have add let 5 to SMs the morter tank fore the IGs well you get the ideer pepel bitched and finaly GW lisend well thanks WKJR

Originally posted by evil tendencies
    I like the way the new rules have gone. With all due respect to Dragonsreach, I have never laughed so hard as I did when I read the new Ork Codex. I don\'t think they made it less humorous, I think they made the humor appropriate for a game that might be under time constraints.
    You should have read Second Edition, those Orks rules were hilarious.
    I\'ve seen an Ork Weirdboy turn the psychic round into a complete ClusterF**k for them.
    As for the Stormboyz seen a whole mob either wide blue yonder or blow up in one round.
    Suited the complete random mayhem that orks really are.

Old Orks rocked on many many levels but damn they were a bitch to keep track of.. The game has definitely benefitted from a lot of streamlining and is definitely more aimed at the easy pick up to learn market and faster tournament style games.

I hate appocalype for what it is .. just a bloody excuse to sell more stuff but can\'t knock GW for doing that as a business.

I ust hate the fact that they change the rules and books so often.. updates fair enough but whole new book and whole new codexesis just greedy . Just when they seem like they have the definitive codex done a new rules set comes out making it obsolete .. wouldn\'t be so bad if they at least got around tofinishing ALL the codexes for at least one edition...

ive played seconed and thried edition i was etiher SM or CSM but my best friend played ork and the unit i miss seeing in an ork army are the goff rokaz or someting like that oh yeah and how there vechiles has the chance of breaking down every turn

redgreen12

Default HI ALL

Y E S the okrks where the bests when thay scuded up tha did big time like 14 inches when you got the scocher blew up and thares no liment on how meny orks thare where in a truck so you lost more or you got the ork bike kiled and he kills the guys the did hime in with the bike aaaaa good times WKJR lollollollollol

Originally posted by demonherald
    I ust hate the fact that they change the rules and books so often.. updates fair enough but whole new book and whole new codexesis just greedy . Just when they seem like they have the definitive codex done a new rules set comes out making it obsolete .. wouldn\'t be so bad if they at least got around tofinishing ALL the codexes for at least one edition...
    It\'s a Five Year Business Plan model, designed on the \'expected maximum\' hobby gamer (ie teenagers)interest lifespan.
    Doesn\'t take into account long term or adult players with Pocketbook/Wallet discernment, which is quite a larger demographic than they seem to take into account.

redgreen12

Default HI ALLLL!!!!

well thats as deep i thot it was funny stores of how the darulls changed that all i put down WKJR

I played right from the rogue trader years, although I was always more of a painter than a gamer. I haven\'t played since 2nd edition although I have seen the rule books since. The most obvious change I have seen is to make vehicles less destructive by making them only able to fire a certain number of weapons depending on how fast they are travellling. Incidentally this was a rule that was introduced pre 2nd Ed, dropped in 2nd Ed and then later reintroduced.

Also the characters have been weakened in general to make them only slightly more powerful than standard troops. This means it is less likely that a single character can win the entire battle by himself :- thinking of a lvl 4 psychic Inquisitor lord in terminator armour.

I like the new rules :) They are fun to play with and feel more realistic to me, how many armies are foot slogging now a days like they were in the 4th edition? Mobility is the name of the game in real life and its the name of the game in the 5th edition :D