Encounter with Big Mek Gutslugga/need advice scroll down
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encounter with Big Mek Gutslugga/need advice scroll down

Default Encounter with Big Mek Gutslugga/need advice scroll down

the theme was \"may the force field be with you.\" i am done and hope you enjoy it.

do you ever have one of those moments where something starts off and takes over every fiber of your body? well thats what happened with this piece. i have set my piece up to where it looks as if the big mek with the kustom force field has just turned it on and blown the building up. the commisar stands forward and awaits the moment to take the final shot. two stoic poses of two leaders staring at each other just before all hell breaks loose. the use of colors was intentional. i wanted the big mek to stand out with the greens, but keeping it subtle by darkening the inside walls more than the exterior. the lightest part on the floor is in the middle of the mek where the dust has begun to settle. the commisar has colors surrounding it that meld in with his colors as well. i also began to work out some new ideas with metals, and as you can see, i feel i have improved in leaps and bounds in my metals, especially the door to the building. please let me know what you think and if you like it.

oh and undave sucks. hehe

linkage: http://www.coolminiornot.com/222705

appreciate the comment monkey. :) i was also wanting some feedback from you all on what if anything i can add to this to make it better. i originally considered adding a troupe master or necron wraith...but both did not look right. i have recently considered putting in some grots. but not sure about that. i want to enter this in golden demon and need advice to see if i need to add anythign else or leave it as is.

well thanks all.

uber

well to me the painting is excellent (surprised no one else has commented) but going with your idea, You need to convey somehow that the ork just used his force field. Because without your explanation it looks just as if the commisar and ork just stumbled across each other. The building looks like it shifted because of an earthquake and they just both happened to be in the wrong place at the right time. Maybe some charring or some IG bodies lying around him in a specific pattern (circular pushing out) to show he just blasted all of them. Or even some subtle osl that seems to be dissipating around him. The theme should be obvious at a glance (but Ive never been to or entered a GD so I could be way off) cause I\'d imagine the judges wouldnt want to sit and ponder the theme of a piece when the next entry has the same level of painting but doesnt require any explanation. I hope that helps.

TRANSFORMERS!!!
    Yes I\'m a little late with my reply here.

Commented and voted:)

PS: Thanks for leaving feedback on my falcon:)

its a very atmospheric peice, i cud easily imagine it as a scene in a film where time pauses and the camera does a 360 degere roation of the scene, sweat trickling super slowmo down the commissair\'s brow, dust caught in midair.

and then all hell breaks loose:D

great job, really tells a story

I really like the idea, and as said you can imagine the scene in a film... BUT and its a big but there are a few things that may go against you if it is being entered into GD (in my eyes if not others)

The pose, firstly the Big Mek looks kinda stiff and un orkish, like the way he is holding the weapon i\'m sure he would be holding it ready to fight the commissar.

Also with the idea of the force field, i like the idea but something needs to be added to make people see that a reaction has happened. I\'m thinking having the antenna\'s on his backpack looking as though they have been used or overheated or whatever maybe also tinge some of the scenery so it looks like it has been affected also.

My last point of concern is the commissar and thats his positioning, he is on the very edge of the scene, he should be closer making him part of the focal point also.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by Cleezy
    I really like the idea, and as said you can imagine the scene in a film... BUT and its a big but there are a few things that may go against you if it is being entered into GD (in my eyes if not others)

The pose, firstly the Big Mek looks kinda stiff and un orkish, like the way he is holding the weapon i\'m sure he would be holding it ready to fight the commissar.

Also with the idea of the force field, i like the idea but something needs to be added to make people see that a reaction has happened. I\'m thinking having the antenna\'s on his backpack looking as though they have been used or overheated or whatever maybe also tinge some of the scenery so it looks like it has been affected also.

My last point of concern is the commissar and thats his positioning, he is on the very edge of the scene, he should be closer making him part of the focal point also.

Hope this helps
    so damn simple...now why didnt i think of that. moving him in. i will do that. thanks man.

Dw its all good, now go and finish that piece :D

why not have a circular singe mark around the mek, and another, larger one, circling the romm to make it looks as though the meks force bubble exploded outwards.

rosac

Excellent scene and painting!

I like the premise and the painting is outstanding (Love your Orks!), but the ruins are way off.

The ruins look very sectional and assembled with too many clean breaks between the walls/floor. I understand this is possibly too late in the game to change it, but I think you would have done better to scratchbuild ruins and use a select few bits from the GW buildings.

Just a thought, more to do with your idea than the diorama (v. nice btw).
    I can imagine how to represent a force field around a figure,
    http://gizmodo.com/256147/
    using a clear light bulb, perhaps with some touches of pearlescent paint (if it exists).
    Showing that it has just powered on/off seems trickier but I wonder if
    http://www.myspace.com/20688331 (scroll down to 7 Jan 2009 21:45)
    that sort of ripple (sans heart) could be achieved in clear plastic (water effects?) to surround the figure. That way you\'d have a representation of the \"force\" which could be lit to reflect on surrounding areas of diorama & perhaps give a sense of the source of the force that is destroying nearby terrain.
    Just thinking aloud & my search engine picture finding ain\'t great but hopefully you get the gist.
    Cheers, B.

i totally get what your saying... thats the problem i have had. making the forcefield look like its there. my first idea was to use wire to show electical bolts. but that phased out. possibly i could do something with the clear resin... i think i need to get ahold of my friend. i even tried the glass bulb thing and it just looked like crap imho. getting paitn to stick was hard. i had to sand the glass first and since its so damn thin i kept breaking the glass. so you can see my problems with it. but i appreciate the help and advice...this is what keeps me going. the advice from others liek yourself.

thanks again.

uber

edit: i wonder if you could melt glass with a lighter? any ideas fellas?

Originally posted by uberdark
    any ideas fellas?
    Had a thought don\'t know if it\'ll work but.....Balloon and water effects.
    Inflate the baloon part way, dip in Water Effects and inflate further to expand the balloon surface. Obviously you don\'t want to cover the whole baloon, just a part.

Hopefully the water effects will stretch and dry around the curved surface giving a clear\"Bubble\" effect.
    One dry deflate balloon.

In a similar vein with DR\'s comment, I wonder if you could do a bunch of wires wrapped around a light bulb (then smash the glass and have a wire cage).

But now that I think about it, the water effects are probably closer to the mark. Maybe dip just the top of the balloon, then run streaks of the effects down the sides in a lightning like manner. Might even be able to support itself that way as well.

Originally posted by PegaZus

But now that I think about it, the water effects are probably closer to the mark. Maybe dip just the top of the balloon, then run streaks of the effects down the sides in a lightning like manner. Might even be able to support itself that way as well.
    could even wrap wire around the balloon and put the effects over it as well. then paint the wire and effects

what do you think?

Worth a shot. Might build up the wire with some thick gauge first, then use some smaller wire to fork the shafts. Since this\'ll be going over the top of the figure, maybe three or so big bolts to the ground, with a lot more little ones at the very top and very bottom so the figure shows through easily.

More thoughts...
    I think a baloon might be tricky to work with compared to a ball. Ping Pong a little small & Hockey perhaps to large but one with a smooth surface. Use BlueTack or putty to mark out the upper outline of the ripple (if you imagine the ball as the earth then the line will run roughly around the 30 degree parallel north). Grease the ball on top (North Pole down to the putty). Apply some kind of water effect to the prepped area. Once dry, remove & turn upside down. Figure will stand in it\'s centre (cut a hole or mount on forcefield surface?). Using the putty would hopefully enable the upper edge of the field to look as though the forcefield has been turned on & is rising to enclose the figure (perhaps water effect a little thicker on upper edge?) or turned off & is vanishing back to the ground (thin water effect on upper edge?).

If this were just for a small figure perhaps it could be inverted. A spaceman with a backpack with an ariel coming off the top - sculpt over ariel to create a jet of plasma rising up - stick dome of (Ping Pong Ball) water effect plasma to top of tweaked ariel - give impression of a forcefield? or just look like an umbrella made of melting goo? :)

I have a lightbulb at home that has already had the metal base removed & the coating on the inside of the glass cleaned off (not by me, a friend prepped it for a purpose entirely unrelated to minis). I also have (somewhere) some old plastic terminators (librarian?) from the Tyranid board game that I remember having an ariel. I might try to bodge together the shape of a model over the weekend so that I can share a picture. Working with glass, use lots of electrical tape inside & out to try & prevent cracks. It is entirely possible however that the photo might consist of a shot of my bleeding hands! :)

Uberdark, There is a thread called \"3-D Lightning?\" that might be worth reading re. the wire ideas.
    ~B.

as BPI suggested, be sure to use some kind of release agent on whatever you use for the force field.

if you use a balloon, can\'t you make more than just a hemisphere and suspend the mini somewhere just above the ground (maybe using something like fishing line) like he\'s been lifted by his own forcefield....