Does the perfect photo exist?

Thread: Does the perfect photo exist?

Default Does the perfect photo exist?

Does anyone ever get a perfect shot of their work?
    One of my biggest frustrations with posting my work is the shooting of it. I can usually get it close to what it actually is, and on a very rare occasion I can hit a bulls eye. It\'s really discouraging. I have a good camera, have tried endless lighting setup\'s and can use Photoshop fairly well. It just seems that things usually drop down a notch in the photo stage........:(

Anyone else?

Exactly the same :(

Yeah, i struggle to turn out nice photos, but can\'t decide if it is bad photography or just badly painted minis!

:D

The only perfect photo\'s I see are the ones in those magazines that come in bags or wrappers that they keep behind the counter at the convenience store.

As far as mini photography goes... it\'s a tough racket. It seems that even the best pic\'s show off the flaws so much more then IRL, but when something is blown up so large it\'s gonna happen.

I wish it was easier, but if you check out the thread from GD coverage and people talking about the diffence in quality IRL and in the pictures it\'s pretty safe I think to say that the answer is \"No picture will ever really be an accurate 100% likeness\".

I think the photgrapher Dirty Steve said he had a degree in photgraphy and defo uses good equipment. I even saw him work his stuff at a tourny in Calgary in \'02 and he was doing stuff with lighting and that to get the best results. If he can\'t do it, I can\'t imagine it\'s good news for those of us with lesser training, experience, and equipement.

Damn, that sounded pessimistic.

If the perfect photograph exists, it certainly won\'t ever appear in my gallery. I can\'t even take a good picture of a building in broad daylight.

I\'m rapidly coming to the conclusion that I\'ll have to hire someone to take presentable pictures of my minis.

if it does, it aint one of mine!

Blog Entries

Yes.

Part of the issue though is you are representing a 3 dimensional medium that is painted to look good in all three dimensions - in a flat 2d rendering.

It happens on occasion that I end up with a really nice photo of the mini I\'ve just finished. It usually takes an hour or so of shooting, adjusting light, trying different colored backgrounds--I never shoot on a pure white background as the light reflects back onto the mini.

The only thing I use photoshop-like programs for is cropping the photo and resizing it. Otherwise, I want the mini to appear as natural as possible.

Originally posted by freakinacage
    if it does, it aint one of mine!
    Yep my Mini-Photo-Fu, seems to have gone Fooey.

Seems like my best shots come out when it\'s foggy or overcast here. Sometimes the simple easy way works!

The hobby was never stressful for me but the introduction of photography has made it so.. I resign myself to the fact I\'ll eventually get good photos but that also the way I paint isn\'t very good for photos. one day maybe but not now..
    I\'d muchrather the way it is now where my customers are pleasantly surprised getting a mini in hand after seeing the pics than be dissappoined when they get it ater seeing amazing pics.

Originally posted by Shawn R. L.
    Seems like my best shots come out when it\'s foggy or overcast here. Sometimes the simple easy way works!
    Diffuse light FTW. Not that I shoot that way, I use a single GE Reveal daylight bulb in a table lamp, positioned right above my camera. Not optimal but when your \"studio\" is the kitchen table at a time when the GF isn\'t using it for something else, you have to economize.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Even if you took the perfect photo, it would look wrong on my monitor.

Unless you\'ve calibrated your monitor with a set of standard color cards, then what you are seeing may be different from what I am seeing.

I notice this when I go from work to home (or vice versa). Similar monitors, but they do not show the same pics exactly the same.