The last crusader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The last crusader

Default The last crusader

Hi all, I hope you are well. I am currently working on a 28mm crusader figure and was looking for advice on how to make the NMM gold and silver look more metallic, this is my first try at NMM (pretty much) so all ideas will be greatly appreciated. I have just started to weather his uniform as well, using a variety of glazes, to make it look really mucky lol. Cheers!

Sorry, I have just realised that you cannot really see the gold NMM in those pics, at all. I apologise about the quality of the pictures, its a dark day here in Dublin lol. I will post some more WIP photo\'s when I get chance. The gold is on his spear tip (hehe) and the bottom of his spear.

OK. I have flashed the chap now. I appreciate that these pics are also not great, but you can see some of the details a lot better. Cheers!

I think the NMM could use some kind of tint to make it shine dark blue/green maybe.

Seems like you are on the right track. I am no expert on the matter but in my opinion you need more contrast. Meaning much darker shading and much brighter high lights bringing them up to a pure white.

Great, thanks for the tips both of you. I shall revise and then repost lol lol

dont know much about metalics however i tried doing something simular on the leg pistons of the big termi and i just used stripes of various shades of mithril silver and bolt gun silver brightest colours in the middle then gradually getting slightly darker, it seemed to turn out ok to me, but be warned there are some serious experts out there!lol

Hi all, a quick update :

I had to build the fella a face helm as his face was quite miscast. I am not sure that it looks great, but I will add some weathering to it, so it looks less artificial. Thanks for watching!

looking good

you still need more contrast on your nmm. add more shadows and highlight on the spots where the light would hit. Your highlights need to go all the way to white on the spots that would reflect the most light. And once you have that done that to your satisfaction try adding a glaze of blue to the shadows. if your wondering how much contrast you need try looking at other minis that use the nmm technique.

hope i helped

sam

Hi Sam, thanks for the reply there. I think what I will do now is actually leave the metal, I really want it look quite dull now, as if he has seen a few fights! Thanks for the advice though. P.S. I just took a gander at your gallery, that NMM Axe is SUPERB! Great work!

Default friday the 13th, 1099

love the jason masklol, the face was as you say better covered up the mud on the tabard is very good, if i was you i would mask the george cross\'s off and do them a little thicker

lol @ Cassar. Yeah, the mask is very Jason - inspired.
    Here is a vote link for those wishing to vote :

VOTE HERE

majestic0110;
    I\'m not sure about leaving all the mtal as dull as I\'m pretty sure that the scrapping and banging about would make some scratches and scrapes which would look new in comparison.

Personally I think that you could improve the white with a few careful washes of Vallejo Model Colour White Glaze. If you are going to consider using this, please learn from my error and keep a brush separate for it\'s use as it does easily pick up ANY traces of previous paint in your brush.

Ok, thanks for that Dragons Reach, I don\'t actually own any Vallejo paints but I might consider investing. With regards to the metal, perhaps I should purposefully put some scratch marks and chips in it. I have actually submitted this to the system now mind, so if I make improvements can I just replace the old image with a new one (i.e. and keep same image ID etc) or would I delete the previous one and then upload a brand new one ?

you would have to delete it and resubmit it

Default friday the 13th, in the 13th century

friday the 13th is actually relevant in respect to the templars, they were all massacred on that date by the king of france accused of heresey because they were getting to powerfullol

lol that is one \"FREAKY friday\" of a coincidence. LOL I am sorry I couldn\'t resist.

Originally posted by majestic0110
    Ok, thanks for that Dragons Reach, I don\'t actually own any Vallejo paints but I might consider investing. With regards to the metal, perhaps I should purposefully put some scratch marks and chips in it. I have actually submitted this to the system now mind, so if I make improvements can I just replace the old image with a new one (i.e. and keep same image ID etc) or would I delete the previous one and then upload a brand new one ?
    Best uploading a new image altogether.
    Swapping ID\'s we have done, but only when external host listings have to be changed as it\'s not always guaranteed to work.

Ok all, I have removed the old version of him from the gallery and here are some WIP updates :

Many thanks to all of those who are helping me, I appreciate it. What I have done is applied a light blue wash over the metallics, then I have highlighted raised areas, using fortress grey/skull white and working upto skull white. How do you think it looks ?

Default Almost done (I think)

Hi all :

What do you think ? How might I improve the face helm ? Cheers !