Sabbatical - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sabbatical

Default Taking a break can be good for you

Rev:

I painted for about a year, then came back in after a six month break. Not too long after I restarted painting, I started looking at CMON.

Since I started reading this site, participating in contests, and talking to other painters, my skills have gotten a lot better.

So maybe you needed a break, to kind of recharge your batteries. When you pick your brush up again, you\'ll be that much better for it.

I look forward to seeing something you\'ve completed, especially after the bio that you put online here.

Hey, Frenchkid, if the computer games distract you, why not have your painting space separate? I have a painting desk, no computer there at all. I used to paint on the kitchen table, and a dedicated desk was a BIG improvement.

Default Dedicated Painting Space

A dedicated painting space makes a HUGE difference! Now whenever you have the urge to paint, you don\'t have to overcome the energy barrier required to get stuff out ... set stuff up ... and then put stuff away when you\'re done. Allows you to paint whenever you feel like it.

jim

Blog Entries

Rev - good to see you back.

As for loosing interest in one\'s primary hobby, it happens to all of us all the time. I\'ve been doing this hobby off and on since the late 1970\'s, and have gone through long streatches where I didn\'t even want to think about a brush, let alone pick one up and paint. I ignore the poor lonely primed yet unfinished ones, knowing that one day I will feel the need to pick up a brush again and continue.

Although, I may be stripping and repainting everything I own again. :D

Yes I think variety is the key, mix it up a bit. I found painting armies killed the enjoyment for me, so now I\'m painting more singles and just doing the odd unit here and there.

I\'ll quite often start and not finish, these get carefully stored away until I feel like having a go at them again.

Default started and not finished

Yep, I got boxes of these ... typically, a group of new minis become available ... I buy a handful of new stuff and get them all cleaned, primed and ready to paint. Takes a while to get through them and before they are all done, some new stuff that I really like becomes available (all of which seem cooler then the ones I was just painting). Go down this path for very long and you have a whole bunch of primed or started minis sitting around waiting for me to get back to them.

And then there are all those minis that don\'t even make the cut for priming (or I\'m not ready to paint) and are still raw metal ... man is my garage getting full. ;)

jim

Blog Entries

Yup, forty pounds of lead and counting. If civilization ever falls, I\'ll be casting my own bullets forever.

Originally posted by reverend

He\'s good is Kundera, very good. But I\'ve got other books pouring out of the shelf at me. After a day at work it seems perfect for relaxation. A cup of Roibos Tea (S. Africa, I love you) and a couple of hours in the old reclining chair (used to be my painting chair as well...insult to injury) and you feel good all over :) The books are filling me with knowledge and passion!

Rev
    Ah, Dear Rev, you just answered your own question.....

An illness, a separation and a meaningless, new job....is it any wonder you\'re struggling to find direction over those steep obstacles? It would be easier to move the mountains out of the way or, take your own advice and clear a new pathway around that, which deprives you of life\'s simple pleasures. “Stronger by weakness, wiser men become.”

I have read your every word and the quote that I chose to draw from, save the part referring to the dual purpose chair, speaks loud and clear as to the new road in progress, via simple pleasures…a cup of your favorite tea, a relaxing chair and a good book. Continue this therapy and you’ll once again, be adding ‘painting miniatures’ to the list. “What sculpture is to a block of marble<what painter is to canvas or pewter>, education is to a human soul.” They do go hand in hand! Good ole Leonardo da Vinci goes one better by saying, “Intellectual passion drives the sensuality.” So you just continue to feed that brain of yours and no telling what you’ll accomplish!

Milan Kundera, a Czech born writer and I know him well (his works, anyway). ‘The Book of Laughter and Forgetting’ is probably my favorite, but I also enjoyed his collection of short stories, ‘Laughable Love.’ I am convinced that the true intellectual masters of literature and music, are those whom can write with but the most minimal use of words and notes, yet are able to make the most impact in their perfect choice. My love of Beethoven is for his passion and depth. I choose a writer for the very same reason. We are drawn by that which inspires and nourishes our very souls. You sir, are on the right track.

Kindly share your next work with all of us. No doubt, you’ll feed another hungry soul in doing so.

Sincerely,
    D.Faye Nail

Originally posted by Cerridwyn1st

Hey, Frenchkid, if the computer games distract you, why not have your painting space separate? I have a painting desk, no computer there at all. I used to paint on the kitchen table, and a dedicated desk was a BIG improvement.
    I do !!! I even set it up so that when I play computer I see my painting area but when I paint I can\'t see the computer :D The only thing I still have to sort out is that the first thing I see when going in my room is the computer. :P

Reverend:
    Overjoyed to see you back in the fold once again.
    As to your negection of the way, Never worry about not painting, you will go back to it and beat the :moon: off all of us once again. Taking a break from what you have done for a year as a business need does help.
    I swapped jobs, from being an IT manager to supposedly being an IT manager, only to find I was employed as a debt collector. After 9 months of that I was back as a real IT manager, refreshed and rearing to go! (yeah right) However I have found that my IT knowledge has balanced out for the 9 months break.
    I am postitive that you\'ll pick up the brushes very soon, you\'ll know when the time is right, and just like riding a bike yuo will remember all you thought you\'d forgotten.

U4-Welcome

I am convinced that the true intellectual masters of literature and music, are those whom can write with but the most minimal use of words and notes, yet are able to make the most impact in their perfect choice. My love of Beethoven is for his passion and depth.
    [hijack] I\'m not sure Beethoven really used what can be reasonably called the \'minimal amount of notes\'. I mean, I\'m teaching myself to play the Appassionnata (3rd movement), and I can guarantee there are a whole damn lot of notes in there. [/hijack]

Originally posted by U4-Welcome
    I am convinced that the true intellectual masters of literature and music, are those whom can write with but the most minimal use of words and notes, yet are able to make the most impact in their perfect choice. My love of Beethoven is for his passion and depth.
    [hijack] I\'m not sure Beethoven really used what can be reasonably called the \'minimal amount of notes\'. I mean, I\'m teaching myself to play the Appassionnata (3rd movement), and I can guarantee there are a whole damn lot of notes in there. [/hijack]
    Well, it merely appears like a whole lot of notes because you\'re still in the learning stage. In actuality, it\'s the perfect marriage of just the right amount of notes. Once you\'ve mastered the piece, tell me how many minutes it takes you to play this wonderful movement. What first seems like such an impossible undertaking can quickly be conquered through diligent practice, a little effort and repetition....(rather like painting miniatures!:o)

Originally posted by Nailpainter2003
    Ah, Dear Rev, you just answered your own question.....

An illness, a separation and a meaningless, new job....is it any wonder you\'re struggling to find direction over those steep obstacles? It would be easier to move the mountains out of the way or, take your own advice and clear a new pathway around that, which deprives you of life\'s simple pleasures. “Stronger by weakness, wiser men become.”

I have read your every word and the quote that I chose to draw from, save the part referring to the dual purpose chair, speaks loud and clear as to the new road in progress, via simple pleasures…a cup of your favorite tea, a relaxing chair and a good book. Continue this therapy and you’ll once again, be adding ‘painting miniatures’ to the list. “What sculpture is to a block of marble<what painter is to canvas or pewter>, education is to a human soul.” They do go hand in hand! Good ole Leonardo da Vinci goes one better by saying, “Intellectual passion drives the sensuality.” So you just continue to feed that brain of yours and no telling what you’ll accomplish!

Milan Kundera, a Czech born writer and I know him well (his works, anyway). ‘The Book of Laughter and Forgetting’ is probably my favorite, but I also enjoyed his collection of short stories, ‘Laughable Love.’ I am convinced that the true intellectual masters of literature and music, are those whom can write with but the most minimal use of words and notes, yet are able to make the most impact in their perfect choice. My love of Beethoven is for his passion and depth. I choose a writer for the very same reason. We are drawn by that which inspires and nourishes our very souls. You sir, are on the right track.

Kindly share your next work with all of us. No doubt, you’ll feed another hungry soul in doing so.

Sincerely,
    D.Faye Nail
    A beautiful, well thought out reply, Faye - the spirit of the reply I wanted to make to the good Reveend, but worded much better than I could have mustered. :)

Many of us can empathize with what you\'re going through, Rev. Hang in there and know we\'re pulling for you to pull out of this \"phase\". Glad to see you back gracing the forums.

Speaking of sabbaticals, haven\'t you been on a bit of a one yourself, Faye? HAven\'t seen any neww works by you or posts from you in at least a month or so. Or have I just missed them ??? You sure chose a fine time to return to this part of the country :D Hope you haven\'t frozen anything important;)

Originally posted by dauber22
    [quote}

A beautiful, well thought out reply, Faye - the spirit of the reply I wanted to make to the good Reveend, but worded much better than I could have mustered. :)

Many of us can empathize with what you\'re going through, Rev. Hang in there and know we\'re pulling for you to pull out of this \"phase\". Glad to see you back gracing the forums.

Speaking of sabbaticals, haven\'t you been on a bit of a one yourself, Faye? HAven\'t seen any neww works by you or posts from you in at least a month or so. Or have I just missed them ??? You sure chose a fine time to return to this part of the country :D Hope you haven\'t frozen anything important;)
    Merci beacoup, dauber22. No sabbatical here...I\'ve been attempting to clear my work space of all the commissioned orders and I\'m very close. Yee Haw!! I did post six Rackham Fiannas just completed and shipped to Hungary on Jan.19th. Although, not faring too well on the point scale thusfar. Good thing my skin is not too thin, or I might just have to cry. Also keeps it from freezing in this darn snow frozen climate!:o) I can\'t believe I traded the purple mountains and sunshine of NM for NE Ohio....I don\'t know what I was thinking, but one thing\'s for certain, when I\'m not working, I\'m hibernating with a paint brush in hand....Oh, the simple joys! I truly feel blessed!!
    You\'ll be hearing more from me now that my workload\'s beginning to lighten. Thanks for always making me feel welcome here.

...Although, not faring too well on the point scale thusfar. Good thing my skin is not too thin, or I might just have to cry.
    Well, I\'ve noticed that the voting has become noticeably harsher over the last little while. I\'d estimate things are running a point to a point and a half lower than they may have before. So don\'t take it too personally. Hang in there and keep at it.

You\'ll be hearing more from me now that my workload\'s beginning to lighten. Thanks for always making me feel welcome here.
    I look forward to seeing your new work Faye and you are always welcome here as far as I am concerned:D

Default That about wraps it up!

NailPainter,

I think you just wrapped it up in a neat little parcel...

Yours is the last word I need! Thank you very much :)

Cheers to you all....I\'m off for a read lol

Phil

P.S. Workspace...big issue. it\'s more of a living-space right now :)

Then again it may be because of the approaching Games Day season (which announces the arrival of evermore painting competitions)

FlamerTemplate

Find some minis that you\'re really enthusiastic about. I have to say that many of my next project are inspired less by sculpts but more by story ideas and so on. Just happens there are some good sculpts out there I could start with...
    I know this doesn\'t apply to you, but I would tend to advise others not to buy minis just for their rules.
    I was repainting my Ork army a little while ago, and it\'s so hard to find the energy to drybrush metal on the 54th one, especially when you know there\'s 30 or so to go.
    Now I have carefully avoided even starting an army or whatever for this reason. And of course, gaming plain annoys me on an army scale.
    Of course, I really should finish those Orks even now. Shame to leave what\'s coming on to double-figures worth of Orks just a few colours short of completion, especially when most stages are something as quick and easy (and not that good looking, but hey) as drybrushing.

FT