Living without a kitchen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living without a kitchen

Default Living without a kitchen

Almost 6 weeks into a refurb and some building work, the head fellow has advised us that the work will be another 3-4 weeks. With the decorating afterwards, that\'s about 5 weeks in all. Living without a kitchen and the rest of the extension and middle room is pretty bloody hard. It goes on and on!

\'kin wot?

They hand making the stuff?

Phil, it sounds like the guy is pulling your plonker mate. Is he there all the time or off doing other jabs and only showing up once or twice a week to keep you sweet?

6 weeks... that are a lot of pizza\'s and chinese orders.

Living without a kitchen is really hard. And six weeks sounds like the planning is really off. I re-did my kitchen completely five years ago. We tore everything out so that the kitchen was just concrete and two water pipes sticking out from the wall. The way I had laid out the plans the kitchen was completely useless for 1,5 week. Then stuff like water, electricity and such was functional so that, despite several weeks\' work remained, the kitchen was still useable.

The carpenter is sorting the kitchen, but he\'s got some personal matters. Got to get a new one in I think. The area covers 3 separate rooms or spaces, being the kitchen itself, a dining area and the middle room as a crashing out place with sofas. It\'s a £25k project, with a new pitched roof replacing the flat one, and a complete overhaul. There\'ll be wood flooring in 2 parts, travertine in the kitchen through utility...and the kitchen is Homebase and will need constructing on site by the poor carpenter lol A lot of kitchen to be fair.

internally, a supporting wall was pushed back a few feet, so that in itself was pretty big. A lot of plastering has been done, as have all the groundworks for the electrics and plumbing. Just waiting to do the kitchen so the floor can follow. Throw in new French doors, a new back door, new internal doors...............

Dear god, it goes on. It\'s actually been very smooth till now!

I feel for you! We redid the kitchen last year. We got the cabinets in around the first of July... luckily our installers made a complete inventory first. The corner cabinet was smashed (which is the one that has to go in first), so we were delayed a month to get that one in. Luckily, we didn\'t do any demo until the installers said they\'d be there on Monday.

Even then, it took two weeks to put in all the cabinets (it was a lot of cabinets and electrical rewiring; they were working their asses pretty hard). Then the counter top people came in a week late to do their measurements. Which they screwed up, and caused another week delay.

All told, we were out maybe a month and a half without a kitchen. Did our best with electric skillets, microwaves and the grill, but we still managed to get tired of eating out. It\'s funny, but when we were in that period, we would have loved to have the kitchen back. Now, I sort of miss having to go out even though I know I\'d be in the midst of hating it! lol

those kind of stuff never get done in time :P

We just had the main bathroom re-done, inital estimate was for 2 weeks of work, the workers just finnished a week ago ...after 2 months and a half of work !

:cussing:

If you were in Germany, that would actually be a typical situation. Really.

Do you have a camp stove or something to cook with, at least? If not it might be worth getting, it\'d save you money over buying take-out, and it\'d be better than eating cold beans for cheap.

<3 oh the classics...

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

:D thank goodness for hot plates, crock pots and outside BBQs

think of what a wonderful kitchen blessing you’ll have, when all is done:beer:

Originally posted by wiccanpony
    Yeah right have you seen the weather here in Wales today???

Its living up to its usual reputation :(

There\'s still a gas cooker attached to the mains, but it\'s a lack of work-tops and the living room suddenly becoming a larder that makes it miserable. Eating salad a lot lately! I\'m a cook and i love the whole kitchen thing. It will indeed be a blinding space once it\'s done; the Velux in the pitched roof is giving loads of light for painting. Just need to have the place finished so I can paint again! Living in half a house and giving a deep clean every weekend to tidy all the dust away is a bind. I\'m getting to that point now where I want to see it done, but the job they\'re doing is excellent so I hope the quality stays the same.

Until the kitchen goes in the flooring can\'t be done. That\'s the bind!

Originally posted by War Griffon

This seems to be a blip as the rest of the week is fine says the Met Office. I pray this is so!

Oh man, I know what you\'re going through. Of course, we were fool enough to do the rennovations ourselves. Ripped the whole bloody thing out: walls, floor, EVERYTHING, and rebuilt it from scratch. It took a while, but the end result was awesome.

Nothing like washing the dishes in the bathroom sink, and cooking in the laundry room! (which barely had enough room for the washer/dryer, much less the refridgerator and stove!)

Originally posted by reverend
    Almost 6 weeks into a refurb and some building work, the head fellow has advised us that the work will be another 3-4 weeks. With the decorating afterwards, that\'s about 5 weeks in all. Living without a kitchen and the rest of the extension and middle room is pretty bloody hard. It goes on and on!
    You should buy a George Foreman Grill. Or maybe a flat grill of some sort. It is sort of like a kitchen. Ok, not really. I hope that the end result is well worth the wait :) Everyone needs a kitchen that they can be proud of.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Originally posted by Gearhead
    Oh man, I know what you\'re going through. Of course, we were fool enough to do the rennovations ourselves. Ripped the whole bloody thing out: walls, floor, EVERYTHING, and rebuilt it from scratch. It took a while, but the end result was awesome.

Nothing like washing the dishes in the bathroom sink, and cooking in the laundry room! (which barely had enough room for the washer/dryer, much less the refridgerator and stove!)
    Did that earlier this year. 6 weeks was just the kitchen, but I was doing it myself on the weekends.

demo complete:

almost done:

That is a very nice kitchen.

Very nice looking kitchen, indeed.

Originally posted by reverend
    Originally posted by War Griffon

This seems to be a blip as the rest of the week is fine says the Met Office. I pray this is so!
    I hope so it rained on me Saturday night when I got off the plane as it was :( and its stilll cold here compared to where I have just come from it didn\'t even get this cold at night...