Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Canny's Wip

Default Canny's Wip

Hi guys thanks for taking a peak!

This is going to be my new Wip thread. My old one can be found here. The finished product of that thread is below.
    Name:  SO1.JPG
Views: 1573
Size:  282.1 KBName:  SPW.JPG
Views: 1506
Size:  123.0 KB

Here is what I'm working on Now, I have an addiction to making bases, I imagined the librarian walking across broken tiles and to just to add a little DoOM a skull also.
    Name:  LibBase.JPG
Views: 1491
Size:  63.9 KBName:  LibBase1.JPG
Views: 1493
Size:  56.0 KB

And here with the Librarian . . Zab I saw yours and had to get one, once I did a search I see he is pretty popular.
    Name:  LibFull.JPG
Views: 1494
Size:  82.5 KB
    Next up and what I'm going for is a Bronze / copper nmm its started but I just realised the iron shine will be one way and the bronze at 90degrees I don't think that going to work so I will have to swap it round. After plenty of research and a goggled a easy pic to replicate below for NMM.
    Name:  mijQVIa.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  12.9 KB
    As the shield is domed it will be different, but that's the colours I'm going for.
    Name:  Dwarf1.JPG
Views: 1488
Size:  85.8 KB

He is a little yellow at the mo, Stay tuned and comments most appreciated.

Thanks! I love that base for the libby. That is a nice color you have for the base of the bronze NMM. Who is it by? It will look better once you lay in the other colors. Rough it out first and then refine it once you see how the other colors affect it
    Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Who is it by?
    Scribor, there are afew ducal guards on coolmini just mixing up the standard paint job so it may look abit different, all the others have much the same.

I have had a pretty big work load which has been keeping me away, But Im back to my little Dwarf and Librarian.

So I have made an effort on the shield for nmm, need to brighten up the runes but other than that Im moving on to the rest of the mini. Its the first attempt, Maybe more transition from black/brown with a smaller amount of black would be better for the future?
    Name:  Dwarf.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  8.4 KB

I have had a play/experiment with the tiles on the base think its looking ok. . thanks to Awesomepaint job videos about marble.
    Name:  LibBase.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  9.3 KB

And Colours for the Lib, I think I will have to make the tiles a little pinker to tie the base in. I should realy paint the base last but I could not resist.
    Name:  LibColour.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  20.8 KB
    Hope to start him tonight, if I dont get carried away with the nmm.

Wow, that nmm is really nice. Nothing wrong with painting the base first, many people paint them up and then wait for the right mini to come along.

Its a bit too dark and I cant get a good shot of the shoulder of the dwarf it seems a bit merky to me. But here its the 1st step of the LibrarianI worked the lights and darks as you can see on the underside of the Libs arm and the transitions of the backpack.
    Name:  Libprog1.JPG
Views: 1413
Size:  465.6 KB
    Shazam base looks like it was meant to be!
    The Flash is making the lighter shades a bit baby blue, will see how they look in natural light tomorrow.

Now Im thinking of doing something like this on his gauntlet.
    Name:  img-thing1.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  10.1 KB
    Have Fun
    Last edited by Canny; 10-08-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Coming a long well . . quite pleased with the vents on the back pack NMM just a mix of black and white. might do the top center piece too, I quite like AndyG's black templar backpack. (thanks for your Wip AndyG)
    Name:  Libprog2.1.JPG
Views: 1357
Size:  157.2 KB

Unsure as to how much I should lighten the purple and what to mix it with to get it much lighter. The shading I have done is not showing up that great.

Name:  libprog2.JPG
Views: 1336
Size:  85.7 KB

Dwarf is looking a bit rough . . .
    Name:  Dwarf2.JPG
Views: 1351
Size:  247.5 KB
    Last edited by Canny; 10-08-2013 at 10:24 PM.

For the purple try adding grey or a fleshy tan type color (peach maybe or a pale orange) to bring it up a bit without turning it too pink. Your NMM is improving in leaps and bounds!

Thanks Zab, it is a bit pink, but its not the end of the world, still with in my colours. After doing some reading Im going to black line everything and see how that turns out its already brought a bit more pizaz to the backpack skull. Blends the definition between the sculpted items I guess.

I quite like Daith's Lib, especially the white lines on the armor and the gold NMM lightening strike on the shin armor, so I think I will copy that style . . .thank you Daith.

Your Dragon is looking very nice too Zab.

Canny; I'm agreeing with Zab that your NMM is coming along, but I'd suggest that you've fallen into the same problem I did when first trying it.....insufficient dilution..

For each level of lighter paint you step up in your mix add a drop or two of water. That way the layers look smoother and can stand an extreme close up picture.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Yeah blacklining and going all the way to white with highlights is very striking. I'm terrified to try it, but Camelson does some great stuff with that style too.

Thank you Dragonsreach, maybe its too much on the brush . . Or I should change the way I tackle it wet blending from dark to light in one go?
    Also I do have a little problem when the paint is so watery it just pools and goes in the crevaces, Probably need less on brush and wait for it to dry before getting carried away? patience is key Im Guessing. Am I correct in saying people start with a brown base and work their way out to the lights and darks? that could be easier to master.

Zabinator
    Ah cool I looked him up Wow, also found his blog with some tutorials, my hands just dont have the finesse yet. but that will come with more practice. So here we go up date . .
    Name:  Libprog3.1.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  206.2 KB
    close ups are good I could'nt even see the parts I missed duno how I will touch them up.
    Name:  libprog3.2.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  135.0 KB
    Keys turning out ok with the lining, done some work on the grey canister thingy with some dark and lights, maybe more highs?
    Name:  libprog3.3.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  221.6 KB
    Im getting there with the skulls its what I have spent most of the time on. What size brush would a experienced painter be using to get the look of the lines on the horns? My smallest brush is a 000 I think it maybe one reason Im having trouble with the backlineing and finer detail, or I just need more SKiLLZ
    Name:  Libprog3.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  148.4 KB
    Mostly happy with how its going, tips and comments would be great for my improvement
    Last edited by Canny; 10-12-2013 at 08:13 PM.

OK a couple of things;
    Don't think of "Blackling" as using black, think of it more as Darklining using a much darker variant of the main colour.

If you're getting pooling with diluted paints, try this..take a folded pad of kitchen paper towel and touch the brush against it before applying the paint to the model. It's just taking enough excess water off the brush to make it easier to work with.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Yep DR is right about the blacklining. 000 is a good size. BTW I LOVE the cracked leather look to the cover of the book on the last pic.

Heya, stuff is looking good! Just a comment on brushes. Everyone has different preference, I use W and N series 7, just my preference. As to size I have many but I do almost all my painting with my 0 and 1, this includes eyes, dark lining, freehand, etc. I use this over the 000 for one main reason, though it is a tiny bit harder to get the hang of you get a much longer working time. 000 dries up much to fast for my liking! This is frustrating but more I importantly I can lead to awful chalkiness and gummy painting (semi dry paint comes off the brush ruining blends and making unsightly texture.)

shakes

Marine is looking very nice, im impressed with his sword blade. I can not paint in sections like you are, I have to assemble the mini first to get the overall look.

As for the keys / greys - yes more highlights, always more highlights but only use pure white in selected places.
    I used dark outlines like you have to make the details stand out. I never use pure black, makes the mini look a bit off.
    Try and get the edge highlights to flow around the shape of the item (to try and get the 3D shape) eg the keys, around the contours of the rope etc.
    Ive tried this on mine below - the key ring loop / keys - but i'm still off with the look.

Name:  img50ee785a06705.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  177.0 KB
    1. Yes its the old 10 ball
    2. http://www.miniature-studio.com/

I have put him together to see how he is coming along, I did put some paint on and fudged it up, so took it apart again.
    I used Glacier blue for the beggining highlights and a dot/ strip of skull white in places, quite pleased with the sword arm.
    Name:  Libporg4.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  395.2 KB
    Still messey around the shin details which Im slowly cleaning up.
    Name:  Libprog4.1.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  381.5 KB
    Quite like the elbow guard work.
    Name:  Libprog4.2.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  226.2 KB
    Fresh black paint, ready for a NMM finish much like AndyG. Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Canny; 10-15-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Pic

just a little work last night, much smoother than the dwarf NMM
    Name:  Libprog5.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  8.7 KB
    Looks like a small amount of pure white is required for the camera but IRL its a bit better

Damn that is nice. I really like the little scratches and wear on the armour too!

Hi Guys, Im a little stuck now unsure of what I should colour the scope thingy on his eye and just the finishing details. A little advice would be great.
    Name:  libprog6.JPG
Views: 944
Size:  72.5 KB
    So I shyed away from the circle in favour of this pattern
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  10.6 KB
    worked out ok.
    Name:  Libprog6.2.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  333.0 KB
    front not too bad. . better get rid of the hair on the skull and piece on the sword. tidy up the white on the pipes. Unsure what what I should do with the blade squigle I would like to colour it though. Also a bit of OSL from his hand?
    Name:  Libprog6.1.JPG
Views: 947
Size:  234.1 KB
    white edging on back of shoulder pad and backpack?

So I have just read that our local GW shop is having their golden brush competition and entries close this friday!
    I think its important I go if Im going to get better nothing like a mini IRL , So I have 3 nights of about an hour each to finish and action any recomendations, So after work I will be checking here and looking forward to comments.
    Last edited by Canny; 10-21-2013 at 04:21 PM.