Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MAXXxxx WIPs

Default MAXXxxx WIPs

Hi,

seems to make the most sense if I start 1 topic to hold all the things I do, so I can ask for opinions without too many unneeded threads.
    So here it is
    I hope I can fill it with good looking minis.

first here is a bust that I'm working on atm.
    Name:  AnTjin_WIP.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  54.1 KB

It's mostly finished, basically varnishing is all I'd like to do (and correcting some mistakes I found when looking at the picture).
    BUT if you see something that could make it much better, please tell. If I can, I'll do the change.

The hair wrap(?) really has a believable Terri cloth feel to it-nice effect!

It appears ther is some brown slopped into the purple of the shirt at the bust line you may want to clean up-probably only noticeable in the macro photo.

Great job. Love the goggles and I agree. The fabric on the wrap looks really soft and lovely.

love it! great smooooth paintjob
    Skelettet S Minis at facebook

1 3 3 4 - "All truth is parallel - all truth is untrue"
    still no in line...

5th dimension BLOG

thank your for the comments.

@Krulebear: yes it's one of the painting mistakes I noticed only with this wip picture.

One more thing a friend said: where are her eyebrows? true.
    What I didn't know is that they are so hard to paint correctly. Luckily I varnished the face twice, so I could use a strong thinner to wipe the new layers of paint after getting them wrong (I use Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner for this).
    But I already tried to paint them 5 times and out of fear of reaching the paint layer I decided to quit for today give it a new coat of varnish just to be safe and allow it to cure overnight.

So today's result: painted eyebrows 5 times, wiped them 5 times, 1 time reapplying varnish to be safe.

Excellent painting, eyes look alive.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

There is a challenge going on locally. We'd need to paint up 400pts of confrontation figures before end of summer. I chose ophidians this time.

Even though the pic is overcontrasted they are pretty much how they look now.

What's left?
    - armor and weapons, all of it... in nmm... the thought itself hurts already.
    - 6 slaves + 2 Syhe-s
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just caught this thread, Bust looks great but something just seemed a bit off to me. Couldnt put my finger on what it was though, then read the comment about the eyebrows and it all became clear to me :P Did you manage to get them so you were happy in the end?
    Now I have a total noob question here so please try not to laugh at me too publicly :P Wait till I turn my back at least
    Whats the thing with the dude on in the left of the photo, and whats it for?

Seems I dont know my left from right oops
    Last edited by secretpaintgeek; 03-26-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: stupidity

That's a rathcore mini holder. You can buy them at PK pro. They really help with holding mins while painting. I bought one recently and love it. I have another for larger sized minis too.
    Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain.

I feel your pain with the eyebrows. At 28mm they are hard enough but on a bust?! I guess they need to look more realistic at that scale. Maybe a few washes of a slightly lighter shade than the base of the hair over some very fine lines done with the base colour to make them look real? Good luck, I am curious to know what you end up doing to make them look convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    That's a rathcore mini holder. You can buy them at PK pro. They really help with holding mins while painting. I bought one recently and love it. I have another for larger sized minis too.
    Thanks dude. Sorry to continue my noobish ways but why are these any better than a cork? Whats the vertical bit with the blob on the end for?

No biggie, never hurts to ask. So, the vertical metal part curves with the way your hand naturally is at rest, making it more comfortable to hold for longer periods of painting than a piece of cork or a paint pot with blue tac. It also rotates freely around the mini so you can get at it from any angle or rest your brush on it for extremely fine work. The cork in the middle is in 2 pieces that slot into place and grip any pins in the minis feet. I still use the paint pot/blu tac method for whole squads, but when I'm doing something more detailed I tend to use this device. Here are a few posts about it on massive voodoo or rathcore. It's more of a luxury item then a necessity, but I do love gadgets and this one turned out to be a good one!

Thanks for the tip about the mini holder, I've been looking for this item for a while with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by secretpaintgeek View Post
    Did you manage to get them so you were happy in the end?
    thanks for the question. I think yes, but I such at taking photoes.
    For now this is the best I could do: https://picasaweb.google.com/maurern...21923318551090
    Maybe during the holidays I manage something better (I have to go to a photo studio anyway to take pictures of some of the paintings, so an extra photo or two won't hurt)

Quote Originally Posted by secretpaintgeek View Post
    Whats the thing with the dude on in the left of the photo, and whats it for?
    Like already said, it's Rath's mini-holder for painting. it's basically the same thing as the normal painting-pot/cork but with that extra metal bit allows a secure hold without having to touch the head of the mini (and thereby rubbing paint off the hair)
    They are a bit pricey, but still bought 3 (1 for 54mm, 2 for 32mm)
    So far I found only 2 limitations with it:
    - mini has to be pinned in the foot, it doesn't hold tabs or larger parts well (like the peg under the ophidians or most freebooter mini feet).
    - great for singe display minis, not usable for squads/groups. (well, daaaaa it was designed with single-display quality minis in mind, so not a real limitation)

-----------------

and some minis to do inbetween the ophidians:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/maurern...21899922156722 - Queen of Shadows for Freebooters Fate
    https://picasaweb.google.com/maurern...21923870511762 - Adam from Maow miniatures (the surfer version)

Thanks to you both for clearing that up for me. Now you've said it the benefits seem so obvious! May have to pick up one for myself now. Thanks for making me spend more cash on this money pit of a hobby :P No really, thanks :P

Eyebrows came out pretty well it seems. I'm in the same boat as you with the photo taking. I'm not the best at getting a decent pic and I have to borrow a camera to do it so dont wanna muck about with it too much in the settings as its not mine.

Next post I'll try and give a useful comment rather than just hijacking the thread

My painting is getting worse and worse

I finished the snakes for the 400pt conf challenge, but even though I'm happy with them as gaming pieces I feel I didn't get them good enough.

Ophidian WIP2:
    Name:  OphidianWIP2.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  103.7 KB

Great work! Nice color choices and the painting looks good! Love me some ophidians

Why do you say your painting is getting worse? They all look good.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I think they look good. It does appear the umbrella is not the same level as the rest of the mini which may over come them irl since it is so big. Put a little more work in the umbrella and I think you would feel better about the group.

thanks for the comments.

10 ball: I feel that it's getting worse, because none of my transitions seem to be smooth enough (or if they are, then the pics are voted down, so I don't get the feeling of achiving something). Truth to be told, last oktober I started playing with CnC-TA and that totally took my free time, so I painted almost nothing in the last 6 Months or so.

Krulebear:
    Umbrella: can be the photo. The base color is VGC-Heavy-Warmgrey (purplish grey) highlighted to pure white, but on the photo it looks mostly just white.
    The thing I don't like the most is the oxidation effect. When I take the mini in my hand it looks good, but on the photo it's simply too bright. (could be the flash used when taking the pic, but I doubt it).

--------------------------------------

continuing the 400pt conf challenge. This time the first (test) slave.

I'm wondering if the armor is ok or if it needs a change.
    The cloth + flesh are there to give a general idea, not even their basecoat is fully done.

so far (from the pic):
    - left lower arm needs more contrast
    - right leg: I'll repaint from flesh to armor, doesn't really work as exposed flesh
    - left leg filligree: here I have a problem, it needs more contrast, BUT that part should be really light, so I don't want to use the deep shadow color there, dilemma, dilemma.

Btw the whole 400pt list looks something like this:
    - S'Ygma (+items)
    - 2x Archer
    - 1x Warrior
    - 3x Slave with spear
    - 3x Slave with sword
    - 2x Syhe

NOT a snake-heavy list for sure
    Attached Images Attached Images