Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kretcher WIP

Default Kretcher WIP

Hi all,

Welcome to my new WIP thread, hopefully I will be able to inspire and get inspired by you folks here. I will be posting different projects that I am going to do here, both tabletops quality to tries for more advanced techniques and bases.

I am currently painting Malifaux figures that I will not put too much energy into, they should be nice tabletop figures. I will also be working on some freebooter figures because the sculpts are so, so good. I will but more effort into them and will try a new set of colours to them, will be using WN Artist Acrylics for them, hopefully it will be a good result. will aim to get a higher grad then 8 for them in the voting here on cmon.

The freebooter figures I am currently prepearing for priming and hopefully be able to start with them any day now.

The malifaux I have had some time to paint already, pictures below of progress so far.

Name:  malifaux team 1.JPG
Views: 2148
Size:  127.2 KB
    Name:  malifaux team 2.JPG
Views: 2134
Size:  137.3 KB

Whenever I post something here and you have any questions or feedback please go ahead and put them into writting.

Once again welcome to my WIP

/Kretcher

Have started on 2 of the figures that I want too spend more time with, it is Bonaccia and Coscritti from freebooter range. I have used WN Artist Acrylics for the first time and it is diffrent from the "normal" colours that I normaly use such as Vallejo and Reapers paints. It is simular to oil colours when it comes out from the tube and it toke some tries to get used too them.

For Bonaccia (the girl) I have gone for much brighter colours when I usually do, for Coscritti I have mostly started some parts of the cloak (bottom part) and trying to get a worn leather look with it.

Name:  Bonaccia-1.jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  77.0 KB
    Name:  Coscritti-1.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  72.9 KB

Comments and feedback for improvements as usual always welcomed.

/Kretcher

I really like the blue and grey pallete on the Malifaux mini's. The start on the last guys cloak is cool as well.

Do you have to dilute the WN's a lot? I know I have to with my Liquitex paints (I also have some that do not dilute well...get rather chunky).

Blog Entries

Looks like you are off to a great start!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    I really like the blue and grey pallete on the Malifaux mini's. The start on the last guys cloak is cool as well.

Do you have to dilute the WN's a lot? I know I have to with my Liquitex paints (I also have some that do not dilute well...get rather chunky).
    Yeah I have to dilute them a lot, no chunky colours yet, I like the quality and feel of the paints, it seems easier to do the higlights for me with this colours. well time will tell how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kretcher View Post
    Yeah I have to dilute them a lot, no chunky colours yet, I like the quality and feel of the paints, it seems easier to do the higlights for me with this colours. well time will tell how it goes.
    To be fair, the ones that have chunkies are about twenty years old. I will have to try the WNs since they are smaller tubes than Liquitex and I like what you are achieving with them.

I am using a tube set with 12 tubes of 20ml I didnt want to buy to big tubes since we are not painting such big areas, and it was what was available at the hobbystore. I guess there is a lot of other people here with better knowledge on which brands that are ok of the artist acrylic ones, but i believe Liquitex are a good brand.

Yesterday, A failure.

Tied some frehand and frankly not satisfied where they end result is. Will post picture below and hope for feedback and help to make this work. The figure is Freebooter 28 mm.
    Will properbly change the pattern or so, need to rethink. The top parts should be 2 lines with round brown areas with some small amount of shadow in them... didn´t work out to small area for me to work on or wrong technique. Under "eye" should be 3 flower petals in a nicce pattern... well they are petals but not corectly placed and well could be better....

Name:  Bonaccia face-1.jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  85.6 KB

/Kretcher

It is strange, it seems that your paint layers are really thin, where the undercoat can still be seen. It makes the mini quite light, with low contrast like an aquarelle... It is a style.
    Do you plan to add other layers? I will be quite interested to see the final result once the whole mini is painted with these thin layers...

Some new updates, mostly of Kirai crew. and one picture of Bonaccia cloak the backside. Trying out some red here and frankly I need some help, please give comments.

First of the Kirai crew

Name:  lamp-1.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  54.5 KB
    Name:  wings-1.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  59.3 KB
    Name:  lost love-1.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  88.6 KB

And last the red cloak that kind of not getting good... (after I am kind of happy with it I will try to add some freehand, either black or gold or a combination of that... atleast that is the plan. but as mentioned abouve i need some pointers to get it good looking.

Name:  Cloak-1.jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  63.8 KB

Thanks for looking.

/Kretcher

you should get some paint retarder to use in the paint when painting freehand, make life a lot easier when painting tiny details!. also i suggest something slightly smaller than a tank brush lol.

pretty cool minis btw!
    Skelettet S Minis at facebook

1 3 3 4 - "All truth is parallel - all truth is untrue"
    still no in line...

5th dimension BLOG

Yeah the tank brush I still have it... but not used it for this fine detail work I nowdays have a smaller brush for thoose kind of things.

Will try some retarder and see what happens.

/Kretcher

Since I hardly ever do work on one thing at a time I have finally (my friend is saying that, it is his figure btw) started an Orc... No marine No Eldar... Feels strange. Very nice sculpt thou.

Btw if you do find any things wrong with the preparation I will blame my friend, that is his work if I am going to paint for him he need to do the boring part...

I also guess that Skel will be happy that I am "doing" a real figure (in his mindset at least )

Enough rambling on to pictures of the newly started orc,

Name:  Orc back-1.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  85.2 KBName:  Orc face-1.jpg
Views: 1832
Size:  68.6 KB

Comments are always welcomed, critical ones preferred to improve the work.

/Kretcher

woah! i must say, that coat backside is one level above the other stuff ive seen you painted, youre really heading the right direction! great skintone too!

and yeah, finally some real man models, no sissy eldar stuff
    Skelettet S Minis at facebook

1 3 3 4 - "All truth is parallel - all truth is untrue"
    still no in line...

5th dimension BLOG

I completely agree with SkelettetS. That coat looks really good. Lots of subtle tonal differences and nice and smooth.

Thanks for comments, Yeah I am very happy how the cloak have turned out, I have basically "dared" to mix in a lot of different colours and also using glazes a lot more and very thin layers.

On to some updates, have looked at the orc and wanted to pop the green a little bit more and have started on some other stuff also, appreciate feedback so that I can keep the same level that I have reached on the cloak on the whole mini. (atleast I hope to do that)

Name:  Orc Colours 2-1.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  89.0 KB

Sadly no natural light in Sweden to use at this time of day, mostly dark here now, so a flash used directly onto the painted parts, that don´t really help with keeping the contrast also the silver parts just look awful. In reality the Yellow/gold have more contrast and also the silver metal. Just not visible on this photo.

Comments welcomed on what needs to be improved in Skin, also the Yellow /gold part.

/Kretcher

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    woah! i must say, that coat backside is one level above the other stuff ive seen you painted, youre really heading the right direction! great skintone too!

and yeah, finally some real man models, no sissy eldar stuff
    I will return to sissy elders soon thou need to paint an army... however, how I am going to do that in any forseable future is a good question... So there will be more sissy elders coming soon.

/kretcher

Hi Kretcher! You've got some awesome stuff going here.

The back of the orc's coat is awesome! It's smoother and richer color and seems like something of a new level for you. His, ah, back piece (?) with the angry-looking moon is looking good as well, the fade from dark to light brown is very smooth. I also really like the skin tone I'm seeing on his hand, I think the face could use some more of those highlights, especially on the lips.

I'm all for sissy models, but it seems like you've made a lot of progress skill-wise on this guy. Well done!

As for Bonaccia, I think the intensity of the red on her cloak is lovely, it just needs some more differentiation between the highlights and shadows. I think maybe her mask would be better if it were a bit simpler. Maybe if you're going to add all the free-hand detail, keep it to colors closer on the color wheel? Otherwise it looks a bit too busy and its a bit hard to understand what's going on.

Good stuff, keep it up

Yeah Sionid I agree with you regarding Bonaccia, have already removed the mask things and tried again, and will remove it one more time , freehand is not my strong side but i have to continue trying it. In regards to the cloak it needs more work, it is around halfway I would say.

Will work more on face and put up some new photos of the Ork someday soon...

Thanks for taking your time to comment and give suggestions.

/Kretcher

Update.

When I paint nowadays the time for myself is mostly over, I now have company and 100 questions like if I do mix blue and yellow it will be green? And the wet pallet is more of a lake of colours swirling around then in any kind of order but it is fun
    Name:  New painter-1.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  29.0 KB

But some late evenings where there is no work needed to be done I have gotten some hours in for painting. I have decided that a visit to a golden demon competition would be very nice, and to go there without anything to show don´t feel right. So I have decided to paint Flagellants to bring there.

I will not really be competing, put with some luck get a finalist pin, main reason is to go and see some good painting up close and personal to get a feel of what they do. Properly I will go to Germany either by flight or car since that is closer to where I live.

On this test figure I have used extreme thinned down colour on the cloak and that actually became a problem, Why? I should have painted a solid base colour first as it is now you can in the photos (not in real life) see the base coat (base coated with black and then some white from the top, using spray cans)

The skin colour was also difficult but for another reason, due to small areas I get a problem to get it smooth and still be a bigger different in the strength of the skin tone. Also the skin colour seems a little more grainy and thicker and that changes the result also.

Here is the picture and any thoughts from the community will be appreciated.

Name:  Flagelant test-1.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  54.7 KB

/Kretcher