Commentary on comments
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commentary on comments

Default Commentary on comments

I\'ve always tried to keep up with the minis, priding myself on having voted on virtually all of them. Over Christmas & New Years, I\'d fallen behind by about 2k, so I decided to spend much of yesterday & today trying to catch up some.

Now, I\'ve frequently heard people say not to pay attention to the scores, because its the comments that really matter. Normally, I\'d agree with this statement, but now I\'m beginning to wonder. Just a sampling of some of the brilliant, informative comments I\'ve read over the last 2 days:

\"No, no! Please make it stop!\"

\"I never give anyone more than a 6 if they use metallic paints.\"

\"Your paint job looks pretty good but your picture\'s too dark\" vote: 2

\"WTF is it???\"

and someone who voted a 6 because it was a plastic mini.

Now really! What is the purpose of these kind of comments? Certainly not to be informative or helpful. The closest one that came to being helpful at all was the comment about the picture being too dark. But to say that the painting looks good and then vote it a 2 ???

I guess the only positive thing I can take out of any of these comments is that the people have openly revealed themselves to be ingorant @$$holes Oh, and one other positive: I\'ve redoubled my efforts to make positive comments on minis.

[big, deep breath] well... [sigh]
    Thank you :D I feel much better now.:innocent:

Yeah, I also think this comment about using metallics is BS, I usually vote 5 as a maximum for non-NMM minis.

Just kidding :D

You\'re right dauber, comments need to be constructive! People posting their minis here want scores that have a meaning, and ditto comments :)

The only way to solve this problem is by sniping the people who leave mean comments.

:P

(Just kidding, just kidding!)

and constructive does not have to be mean-spirited or even point out flaws ... if you point out the good areas of a 5-ish mini, you\'ve given the painter something to be proud of and sort of by definition pointed out the things that aren\'t as good.

Everyone should try to remember that there is a person behind every one of those minis and most of them have feelings ... well, besides the evil painting machines that can crank out 9+ minis all the time ;)

jim

klute_in_the_valute

I try to leave as many comments as possible and when I do I like to say what I like and what I dont like.The worrying thing is that in the year Ive been posting here the scoring system has gone totally arse up if you ask me.Id love it to be scrapped in favour of just galleries,,,,becuase come on we all know who the best painters are any way..
    btw that includes evil painting machine siviousplay (Silene is still the most beautifull mini Ive seen)

Blog Entries

I just accept the fact that there are going to be comments like these that I can do nothing about. While trying to leave a coment a day, I still try to be constructive -and if the bad picture cant really comment has been made, then I say nothing at all.

thanks for the kind words Mark ... and you\'re right that spending too much time analyzing scores is not particularly worthwhile, but leaving a comment on every mini is not practical either (especially with all those D*MN orks and space marines out there!! :) So, at least the scores are a ballpark way of seeing what the world thinks of your stuff.

jim

Default POST A COMMENT:

Originally posted by dauber22
    I\'ve always tried to keep up with the minis, priding myself on having voted on virtually all of them. Over Christmas & New Years, I\'d fallen behind by about 2k, so I decided to spend much of yesterday & today trying to catch up some.

Now, I\'ve frequently heard people say not to pay attention to the scores, because its the comments that really matter. Normally, I\'d agree with this statement, but now I\'m beginning to wonder. Just a sampling of some of the brilliant, informative comments I\'ve read over the last 2 days:

\"No, no! Please make it stop!\"

\"I never give anyone more than a 6 if they use metallic paints.\"

\"Your paint job looks pretty good but your picture\'s too dark\" vote: 2

\"WTF is it???\"

and someone who voted a 6 because it was a plastic mini.

Now really! What is the purpose of these kind of comments? Certainly not to be informative or helpful. The closest one that came to being helpful at all was the comment about the picture being too dark. But to say that the painting looks good and then vote it a 2 ???

I guess the only positive thing I can take out of any of these comments is that the people have openly revealed themselves to be ingorant @$$holes Oh, and one other positive: I\'ve redoubled my efforts to make positive comments on minis.

[big, deep breath] well... [sigh]
    Thank you :D I feel much better now.:innocent:

Hmm, your post was a bit wordy and I never rate over a 5 for wordiness. It was also a little on the blue side, but I liked it, so I will give you a 3.......lollol

I follow simple advice to myself: If I don\'t have anything nice to say, don\'t say anything. Funny about that metallic comment tho, as I tend to look poorly on NMM :). There\'s always a yin to my yang, yo.

My comments tend to be in two categories, the \"wow thats amazing, how did you paint such and such?\" or constructive criticism (such as \"I like X but this needs improvement\").

I tend to receive similar comments. I thankfully haven\'t had any really bad comments (so far!).

Regards

Kat

wyrmling_x

I wasn\'t quite sure what to make of the comment on my Saurus.

\"This is not a speed contest...try to be more patient for the next one\"

So I score a 4 because I told him I painted it fast? Silly, silly people. ;):P

Originally posted by kittykat23uk
    My comments tend to be in two categories, the \"wow thats amazing, how did you paint such and such?\" or constructive criticism (such as \"I like X but this needs improvement\").

I tend to receive similar comments. I thankfully haven\'t had any really bad comments (so far!).

Regards

Kat
    Can\'t say anything nice or helpful - don\'t say anything at all. Good advice, which I try to follow as well.

Even after all of the discussion around here lately it seems scores are dropping off even more, the snipers seem to be working overtime. I\'ve seen some very nice mini that should score 7.5-8.5 that are lucky to be hitting 6-6.5. I don\'t get it. Looking at the blast from the past entries and new ones that come up I am surprised that people are being so tough on some of them. Maybe the Tinctureadept contest will bring back a little respect for metallics???

Oh well, the scores don\'t really matter but it makes you wonder. When you see comments from some of the best painters around here they tend to include a reasonable score and a helpful or encouraging comment. But then they GET it. I think a lot of the low score snipers around here couldn\'t paint their way out or the proverbial wet paper bag, don\'t post their work, and have the psycological need to run others down. Kind of pitiful when you think about it.

I know I much more highly value a comment and score left by a known high quality painter or frequent forum poster. They are always more encourging and you feel as if the comments are valid. Heck, if I can impress one of them at all, then maybe I\'m making some progress.:D

Default Wayward Scores

As I rarely post to the forums, and have only 4 images on the web, all 5-6 scorers, I sometimes ask myself if I have the right to rate or critique other peoples work. At the end of the day, I feel I do have the right because...
    a) I do have some work on the site for others to judge me by.
    b) I should be free to express my opion, as long as it isn\'t pointless or offensive.
    I think my scores are probably about right for my level of ability and the quality of the pictures I am able to provide.
    I try to judge others work on that basis.
    As you say it is easy to see who is average, like me, who is above average, quite a few, and who are god-like in their talents, again, a fair few.
    I think scores are taking a dive, because we have been spoilt by the \'masters\'. When they get a 9 for a top class mini, how does one that is very, very good, but a long way off that, deserve 8? It is hard to be fair and still differentiate between the two levels of ability.
    If the very,very good only then end up with 7, how does mine get a 6 for example.
    I think the usefulness of the score system is past. It does help us of average ability to see the top-class painters and have something to aspire to :)

Ok, now I\'ll comment next 15 minis browsing in a costructive way

(that\'s what i usually do, but i never commented 15 in a row :D )

Luca

Originally posted by wyrmling_x
    I wasn\'t quite sure what to make of the comment on my Saurus.

\"This is not a speed contest...try to be more patient for the next one\"

So I score a 4 because I told him I painted it fast? Silly, silly people. ;):P
    Heh.. clueless.. That gets my award for \"dumbest thing of the day\".

Your model is well above tabletop quality in my book, and I think they would look lovely on the table. A whole army painted to this standard is a very attractive army.

It\'s a shame there is no \"goofball\" filter available. ;)

Default Careful Jim

Originally posted by sivousplay
    and constructive does not have to be mean-spirited or even point out flaws ... if you point out the good areas of a 5-ish mini, you\'ve given the painter something to be proud of and sort of by definition pointed out the things that aren\'t as good.

Everyone should try to remember that there is a person behind every one of those minis and most of them have feelings ... well, besides the evil painting machines that can crank out 9+ minis all the time ;)

jim
    You\'re becoming one of those people cranking out 9+ minis...

:D

Heh.. clueless.. That gets my award for \"dumbest thing of the day\".
    Mine has to be the comment on a wulfen a while back, stateing \"It\'s not verry realistic\". That someone replied to saying something along the lines of \'Oh, no, I saw one at the laudromat the other day, and it looked just like that\'.

I\'m just happy that none of the snipers follow us onto the forums.

However I\'ve got to stick to my guns and say that \"I don\'t agree with what they\'re saying, but I\'ll fight until death to defend their right to say it.\" even though I don\'t know what the heck they\'re drinking when they say it.

Originally posted by LouisCypher
    Ok, now I\'ll comment next 15 minis browsing in a costructive way
    Luca
    Luca! Comment on numbers: 43331, 43333, 43335 and 43341. These don\'t have comments so you get a chance to say the first thing rather then chiming in with what everybody else said ... Yay comments from Luca ! Thanks I appreciate it ...:D lol ... But seriously, pick out 4 of your own and I\'ll comment constructively in return ...

Actually everyone is free to comment on those .. please do. I\'ll try and reciprocate ...

A few of my recent comments have been similar to this:

\"9: Wow, nice mini! Xxxxxxxx and yyyyyy are really cool, how\'d you do zzzzzzz? I\'d change the aaaaaaa to a different color but all in all a fantastic mini that should NOT be a 7.1\"

I\'m trying to lead the snipers away from their evil ways through mind control...wonder if its working? :bouncy:

-Scott