Biggest impact on your hobby
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest impact on your hobby

Default Biggest impact on your hobby

So the question is who or what had the biggest impact on you hobby wise?

For me it would have to be David Gemmel whos books made me want to build vast fantasy armies. Or my Dad who was our DM when we played Tunnels and Trolls all those years ago and spent hours sitting at the dinner table watching me stick model parts (to myself mainly)

Well GW got me into mini woargaming and painting, so them.

Past that it\'s the internet and this place. For all it\'s flaws I like that I can submit a mini and get a score on it to mark my improvement, or decline, in painting. I love the forums for hints and tips and theres a ton of great articles.

WAMP is my favorite place for painting now though. Lots of comps and great hard nosed advice when you need it as well.

So.... GW for getting me hooked and the internet community for helping me grow.

A mates older brother who got us all into wargaming and roleplaying.

after that it was many many moons later when Dragonsreach showed me cool mini and from their i got into the painting side.

Once upon a time I knew only GW and only a few PP and rackham minis, I thought I was an excellent painter. But a customer one day at the indie store where I worked proved me wrong and introduced me to more and cmon.

a rouge trader book i found liying in thehall way one year when i was in high school thats whats got me into it so i was destiney lol

Blog Entries

My uncle and D&D in 77.

My kids have made the biggest impact.

I haven\'t painted in months because of them. They wear me out somethin\' fierce. And what I\'ve got next is just straight black... and I\'m too tired to do that.

Probably not exactly what you were thinking, but there ya go! :D

hmm starting me out my dad buying my brother some models that he was too young to do properly and I took over and discovered the GW shop nearby...
    following that seeingthe minis at my first GD .
    following that winning at GD
    following that realising I could make money doing it..

negative impacts...
    deinitely my health this year rarelyable to spend more than a day or two doing stuff
    My little one.. once hereached two that really began to impact.
    realising I could make money out of it.... (means it has changed my hobby to a very mercenary thing and often the need to make money means a cut on my creativity as time is always of the essence

Yeah my goddamn kids take a bite out of my painting as well!

Miracle of life, I love them to bieces and blah blah but sometimes when I am sitting there playing tea party with my daughter or kicking the ball around with my boy I just want to get back to the brushes and try bringing the highlights up on a robe or try out some new skin technique on a mini.

Hmmm..... that might just make me the crappiest parent in the world. Oh well,
    \"I am\'s what I am\'s\".

Before I ever came across GW I had always thought it would be cool to have some sort of fantasy based tabletop game with orcs and dwarfs so I guess the biggest impact on my hobby would be my own imagination... and GW since they sold what I wanted.

What has kept me into the hobby is the vast quantities of beautifully sculpted miniatures that I cannot stop buying. What also impacts my hobby is that I am practicing my sculpting so that I can start my own miniature line soon so that I can contribute some creativity to the hobby I love so much :)

well i got into the hobby while wondering in to my local gw one day when they were doing painting classes got into that. I\'ve always hated gaming, From there seeing the 2003 golden demon winners book which motivated me to get bigger, then mike (dragonsreach introduced me to cmon when i met him at conflict north) I won the yb cat there too which also gave me a boost then everytime i go to gd or pb or any mini show seeing the brilliant minis always motivates me.

Tolkien.

gw, hate to say it.looking at the mike mcvey classics in the oldies really whet my whistle

Oooh, tricky one. Perhaps Dad buying that D&D Basic Red Box for the family boardgame for Christmas, 1982? Those first couple of visits to GW & having to be dragged away from the display cabinets? I think I\'ll go for Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone\'s Fighting Fantasy books though. My copy of The Warlock Of Firetop Mountain disintegrated from excessive use, I spent endless rainy weekends drawing maps so that I could work out where I hadn\'t explored yet. Tying very strongly to those is Ian Miller\'s artwork, the trees on the cover of House Of Horrors, the spot illustrations through various titles, hugely influential on the way I envisage the Fantasy worlds I game in. Of course this ties into GW & their Warhammer world & John Blanche\'s input shouldn\'t be underestimated. I realise in retrospect that I always prefered the grimier, scarier & more comedic aspects of the UK product, compared to the clean, shiney high-fantasy imagery I associate with TSR/USA. Which reminds me that I never did complete The Crown Of Kings, even after playing through the first 3 Sorcery books, might have to revisit that :)

B.

PS just checked, a Google image search for \"Ian Miller\" brings up suitable results on the first page if any of you are unfamiliar with his work.

When I was very young, it was collecting the old Star Wars Micromachine toys and \"borrowing\" some of my uncle\'s Axis and Allies figures and playing with them in the backyard.

Then it went on to model car kits.

I ran into the Games Workshop hobby some time in 2001, and nothing has been the same since... The card shop that I played Magic at started carrying some GW stuff, so I picked up whatever looked cool (a blister of the old metal necron warriors, a plastic ork warbike, and the 1-piece plastic Bretonnian bowmen box were among the first few things I bought) and got started painting. White Dwarf was a huge inspiration (sad to say that it rarely is nowadays) I referenced the Nightbringer painting guide many times, as well as the Chaos Lord painting guide that was published around the same time. Oh, and the Fellowship of the Ring painting guide.

-Matt

no particular order:

Working at GW

Bill Horan, Steve Buddle, Andy Foster, Jeremie B Teboul

One of my Dads mates\' huge expance of display cabinets (think I was about 11)

Tamiya, Revell etc

CMoN of course

that\'s just off the top of my head

This is my first post, so hello to everyone. I\'ve been lurking and voting for a little while. I\'ve just returned to painting after a long long break and discovered this site.

Anyway, the biggest impact on me in my early painting days was White Dwarf Magazine. Tolkien got me into fantasy, Steve Jackson & Ian Livingston got me into fantasy gaming, which led to D&D, and that led to my passion, painting miniatures.

When I first started it was because I was the only one willing in our D&D group to give painting the figures we were buying a go. I was probably the only one with patience enough as well. Those early miniatures I painted were god awful. ;) This was early 80\'s, so the minis themselves weren\'t all that great either. Then I discovered White Dwarf and the Eavy Metal team (late 80\'s by now), and that\'s when I started to get serious about painting and trying to learn and improve. It was those articles and cool miniatures that inspired me to go beyond just table top standard. Of course our table top standard back then would rate about a 2 nowadays :) Painting minis has changed vastly over the years. So now I\'m ready to go to a whole new level.

Balf

Hi Balf, and welcome to the madhouse

My dad and I used to build model airplanes and historic war machines, when I was 11 a friend moved from Glasgow to Norway and thought me about the hobby. Thats how I started it anyways, CMON is the biggest reason why I got back into it after many years off.

Originally posted by Ritual
    Tolkien.
    Yep, that guy.

But I\'d also credit 1/35 scale Tamiya military models, and an odd fascination with scale models.