Cornwall
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cornwall

Default Cornwall

Went there last week, staying in Mousehole (link).

A lovely little part of the world, got around much of the south-western area.

Highlights

Zennor (link)
    Carbis Bay
    Porthcurno (link)

Lowlights

St Ives in tourist season - says the tourist! (link)
    Car parking charges (Carbis Bay was £3 one day whilst the very next day it was £7 as the sun came out. Thieving bastards)
    Lands End (waste of time, seriously)
    Bad art (there are many artistic hotspots around Cornwall, but unfortunately that attracts charlatans, copyists and plain BAD artists)

Surprises

Penzance (next to Mousehole and Newlyn) was actually very nice once beyond the promenade, if a bit rough and ready.
    Driving in Cornwall is more stressful than in the city due to the width of B Roads :D. I feel like an advanced driver already after less than a month behind the wheel lol

I\'d recommend the south west for sure, but will head there in autumn next time for a quieter time. The beaches are top notch and the people very friendly. I didn\'t get up as far as St Austell which is a shame as I wanted to surprise Finn. Next time!

To those not in the UK, Cardiff hardly looks very far from Mousehole (4.5hrs by car) but it\'s a world away. Reminds me of West Wales, and the languages are very similar (check the history of the P-Celtic language and see how closely related Cornish, Welsh and Breton are) so it felt a little weird at times.

I wish I was back there but, alas, I\'m in work :(

we enjoyed some pretty narrow roads up at ardnamuchan penninsula in the highlands. hairpin bends width of a car and blind summits and sheer drops get scary - especially when a great big coach comes round a blind corner! think we did about 50 miles withou getting above 25 mph

I really fancy Scotland before too long. Sad to say I\'ve never been there. Want to get back the north Wales, over to Ireland again and then to Brittany. Plans will be be made.

its my wedding anniversary on monday and we very nearly booked cardiff but didnt. closet i got to entering wales was chester or a lass called gwen back in 1998!

Scotland is a wonderful place. Lowlands to highlands, stunning scenery abounds.

You never seem to be far from a cracking distillery either :D

Ah, sweet Gwen! She might be the same one I saw in 1999 lol

Cardiff isn\'t a bad place at all squire. Not bad at all! I\'m not big on the city breaks arrangement though, so I couldn\'t say how it compares :(

Originally posted by Spacemunkie

great for falling of mountain bikes too!

Totally agree Scotlands great.
    (Left a few teeth in Dumfries and Galloway Forest courtesy of a Scout Holiday in \'95.) lol
    If you are a walker rather than a driver Scotland has some serious mountain hiking. Not for the inexperienced though
    Cornwall was my family Holiday haunt for quite a few years, Looe & Mevagissy area mostly.

Never been to Wales. (The shame as my Paternal Grandmother was born in the Rhondda)
    However that will change in November as we\'re having a holiday staying at Bodelwyddan Castle (Pronounced Bodel Withan) and doing the tourist thing round the area.
    Even Betws-Y-Coed Which translated from the Bardic tongue as \"Prayer house in the wood\".

I would VERY much like to visit the UK.

For some reason it\'s number 1 on my \'places to visit\' list!

(although, it could easily be trumped for the home of the giant ball of paint....)

Originally posted by supervike
    I would VERY much like to visit the UK.

For some reason it\'s number 1 on my \'places to visit\' list!

(although, it could easily be trumped for the home of the giant ball of paint....)
    Been twice....LOVED IT! I really want to go again.

Vike, Shawn good old blighty does have some wonderful country.
    Northumbria, Cumbria, Derbyshire, Devon & Cornwall have some of the most unspoilt \"wild areas\", while Wales & Scotland have superb Mountain areas.
    If either of you get over here it\'d be my pleasure to show you some of them.

You\'d just have to get used to driving on the correct side of the road. ;)

Originally posted by darklord

great for falling of mountain bikes too!
    meh rev call fall off mb\'s in any country, he\'s talented like that!

Originally posted by Dragonsreach

Never been to Wales. (The shame as my Paternal Grandmother was born in the Rhondda)
    where abouts? i\'m in the rhondda as we speak (type)!

i love cornwall, hailing from the southwest myself.

north devon is fab also. some good surf to be had around where adie lives. braunton (going there next w/e) saunton, barnstable, woolacoombe and puttsborough, croyde etc good times

scotland, have only been to edinburgh. loved it though, beautiful architecture. locals weren\'t friendly though had a reasonable amount of racist abuse. had the same problem with dublin too. also dublin was bloody expensive and we only saw and dealt with eastern europeans on the first day, not a single irishman!

Well I\'m from, and in, Cornwall. Doesn\'t help that it\'s almost like a different country down here. No matter where you travel to it feels like half the journey is getting out of Cornwall...

... and it\'s threatening rain out there this morning.

But it can be quite nice down here... sometimes ;)

Originally posted by SJB
    Well I\'m from, and in, Cornwall. Doesn\'t help that it\'s almost like a different country down here. No matter where you travel to it feels like half the journey is getting out of Cornwall...
    aye it\'s not a good journey either. i love cornwall but would hate to live there, it\'s so out of the way

I was born in Cornwall, I\'ve alot of family in Cornwall (most towns of anysize really)

Why haven\'t I been there for over 20 years!

Know what I mean Do\'e?

Off to Zennor this Friday afternoon, great pub, leathal cider served there!!
    :drunk:

Neil

you should have visited tintagel there was a battle re-enactment there this weekend...erm the one that\'s now finished i mean it\'s held around this time every year (roughly first weekend of august/last weekend of july) there\'s probably a few drunken re-enactors camped out there and some will be there for the next week although it\'ll now be closed to the public and purely for sword fighters to get pissed and have a holiday in dreary cornwall

Did Cornwall this year, stunning scenery, stayed in Newquay.
    Did scotland years ago staying in \'the Kingdom of Fife\' truly beautiful.
    Did my RAF trade training in South Wales (St Athan) and have been to North Wales a few times. Just got to do the central bit through to the coast now.
    Done quite a bit of England over the years, but then I am quite old :D

For a small place there\'s a lot to see in these islands. The Welsh Tourist Board used a clever little one-liner to prostitute the place that went WALES, THE LITTLE BIG COUNTRY.

Class lol

it\'s a shame there isn\'t really much in wales though some nice green fields and a few nice beaches but outside of cardiff, swansea and newport there is very little to do but it\'s definately a worthy sight seeing hotspot