Guitar strings as cables-quick question

Thread: Guitar strings as cables-quick question

Default Guitar strings as cables-quick question

Just a quick one really-what \"note\" string do people use for cables on their conversions (for humanoid 40K conversions). And if there is any particular make that are better??

Many Thanks

chivas

Originally posted by chivas
    Just a quick one really-what \"note\" string do people use for cables on their conversions (for humanoid 40K conversions). And if there is any particular make that are better??

Many Thanks

chivas
    Differing sizes look good for differing things. Bass Guitar strings look pretty good on Dread\'s and big vehicles.

Best type are the ones that don\'t cost you anything. See if your local guitar shop has any scrap ones from re-stringing jobs.

I actually use casted cables nowadays from dragonforgedesign. Much easier to shape the way I like.

Thats great-will try both of those suggestions.

Personally, I don\'t use guitar strings. they seem a little too rigid. I moved over to using jewlry wire and wrapping it around itself. It looks like a guitar string, is a bit cheaper and easier to shape.

that\'s the best example I can use here. It\'s pretty thin wire so the coils are a lot tighter than other people like. I just like mine really slender on marines, I use a higher gauge on termies, and Dreads and vehicles even larger.

Originally posted by Avelorn
    I actually use casted cables nowadays from dragonforgedesign. Much easier to shape the way I like.
    aye, seconded. they also come in a range of sizes so there is always something in the bag thats the right size

ive used guitar strings (have an abundance of them) i find the lower 3 are best but thats just because i like the wrap around them. ive used them to make another tentical arm for a =][= scale model.. il\'l post pics tommorow of it. it all depends on what your trying to do as yes.. guitar strings can be quits stif or even springy.

Im working on a long term project (arent we all lol) and I need the cables for weapons, armour pipes etc. Its mostly on figures but there are a few vehicles and dreadnaughts.

I would highly recomend dragonforge cables.

http://www.dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/sculpting_supplies.htm

I used to use the guitar strings and wrap my own wires but if you have tight bend to do, the wraps will spread appart and you will see the wire underneath. with the cast wires you will not have that problem. they paint up nicer because of the consistant look.

that just sounded sorta like an info-mercial what can I say I am a big fan

heres the mini with the arm made from E,A, and D, strings

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Wolf_Fang/Misc/Daemon.jpg

hey there. most good music / guitar shops should sell guitar strings individually as well as in sets.

as suggested, ask for low E, A and D strings (the bass strings, as the other three are more like thin florist wire).

specifically, you may as well ask for 26, 36 or 46 gauge. these bass strings will be flexible enough but fairly sturdy too and they will have the ridged texture i assume youll be after :beer: