help in making a stencil

Thread: help in making a stencil

Default help in making a stencil

post removed
    Last edited by .sam.; 08-23-2011 at 12:54 PM.

vinyl paper is the stuff you make them form, and use masking tape to stick it down!

I\'v made them just using paper. Printed out a design, cut it out and taped the paper to the base.

No need to use any fancy stuff.

Peace and love...

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

One shot?
    Blue masking tape (painters tape)
    Post It note.
    Frisket

Multiple uses?
    Frisket (designed for use with airbrushing)
    Cabinet paper (kitchen shelf liner)
    overhead projector sheets (office supply)
    acetate
    mylar (drafting supply)

If it is not sticky, spray lightly with Photo Tack or very lightly with 3M 77

cut with new x-acto #11 blade.

Originally posted by nick232
    vinyl paper is the stuff you make them form, and use masking tape to stick it down!
    I\'ll second that,

But I think that for a stencil that\'s only going to be used once you can go with paper.

Roy Rogers

Try using \"tamiya\" masking tape. I have used it for years, its really thin, comes in small rolls at most hobby shops, or can be purchased on Tamiyas website. It cuts really well, and can be wrapped around tough areas. Plus it peels back off without leaving behind any sticky goo! Works great for space marine shoulder pad icons.

print your design ( on standard office type paper ), cut out with a nice sharp blade ( i always print about 10 so i can mess up a few times)

beg borrow or buy some spray mount or low tack spray adhesive, if it is a bit too sticky your skin is a good source of de-tacker, position and use tape and paper to shield against overspray.

if you want something that will do a few repeats, seal the paper with Klear or an acrylic varnish before applying the spray mount

HTH

Mark

Originally posted by gothicgeek
    print your design ( on standard office type paper ), cut out with a nice sharp blade ( i always print about 10 so i can mess up a few times)

beg borrow or buy some spray mount or low tack spray adhesive, if it is a bit too sticky your skin is a good source of de-tacker, position and use tape and paper to shield against overspray.

if you want something that will do a few repeats, seal the paper with Klear or an acrylic varnish before applying the spray mount

HTH

Mark
    hair spray makes for a good cheap spray adhesive and can also be used as hairspray then after if you only plan on using it once save you going out and buying fancy spray glues though not sure any spray adhesive would really be suitable for airbrushing i\'d probably go with the masking tape and acetate is definately good for doing stencils you plan on using over and over

Hairspray is also an excellent (and CHEAP!) fixative for charcoal, pastel, chalk etc...