Join a Rackham WIP - Free Minis ! - Page 10
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Join a Rackham WIP - Free Minis !

Ok, how much time did you need to spend cleaning before having the space picture worthy? lol

Originally posted by apz
    @Amazon_warrior: I know the pain, when it\'s sunny I shoot outside now in a lightbox, looks better than with a weak lamps but not great still. Can\'t wait to see it better and with highlights.
    lol Me neither! Despite what the photos look like, she\'s looking quite promising so far, so I\'ll have to concentrate to make sure I don\'t cock it all up. If I get cracking early enough this evening, I might be able to get some photos in daylight.

Mane and other hair this time. I went with straight red-gray highlights but that didin\'t worked out well so I added a little of the skin highlight colour and it turned somewhat better, I kept the higlights not so intense to tie with the skin, but as I said I might change it after the rest is done, I\'ll probably also add some of that colour to the skin parts that are directly hit by the zenithal light as I did to the face (following the preshading pic). Any comments are appreciated.

Now with highlights! :D

Thoughts: I could probably do with deepening the shading on her lower legs. I was thinking of doing her dress thing in a sort of orangey ochre colour, and I\'d really like to try green nmm on the blades (why yes, I am insane. Why do you ask?). I can\'t decide what colour to do her gloves and leggings, tho. Anyone got any thoughts?

@apz: You\'ve missed a bit! On the inside of his leg.

Default Quick Admin Update

Krug, Shakes, Cleen X mailed Saturday so they may not have theirs yet.
    Have not heard from Quietmanes yet from an earlier mailing.
    18 others are received, some active, for a current total of 24 including Amazon and myself.
    One more I am trying to work out.

REMINDER: All with lonely wolfen are invited.
    Many are called....none are turned away.

a bit of an update here, I\'ve had some personal issues taking me away from my little metal dolls.

really like what im seeing from everyone, look forward to keeping up with everyone\'s progress.

Default Update - CFW Bysra

Today\'s work

Shaded skin with washes of dark brown and dark military green.
    Skin will be highlighted back up to khaki and beyond.
    The tabard will be a darker red....burgundy or maroon.
    The wraps have been highlighted back up to GWF hormagaunt purple and will go a lttle lighter.
    Belts and leathers will be browns, not blacks.
    Metals will be silver, not gold.
    The yellow on the standard is a Polly S camo yellow...a little cooler than most bright yellows.

Then there\'s the armor plate, which has been basecoated PP Greatcoat Grey, which is a blue/green/grey.
    Not sure if I like it.

Tail color ?

I need some ideas

CFW

@Amazon_warrior: Looks great, blendings smothness is excellent and I love her face! If you\'re going to paint the nmm and the rest of her as I imagine she\'s going to be great. About the gloves and leggins - maybe blue or purple? or a mix of those with the base skin colour?
    Thanks, I know about the missed bit - it\'s a bit inaccessible but I\'ll try to hide it with some dark colour today :)

@cfwheeler58: Maybe a simple black to gray on the tail? Anyway, the colours you\'ve picked works for me well.

Originally posted by apz
    @Amazon_warrior: Looks great, blendings smothness is excellent and I love her face! If you\'re going to paint the nmm and the rest of her as I imagine she\'s going to be great. About the gloves and leggins - maybe blue or purple? or a mix of those with the base skin colour?
    Thanks! :) Actually, thinking about it when I should have been working, I may paint the leggings/gloves a similar colour to the dress, otherwise the colours might get too confusing. Then I can carry out my plan to have her mane and tail dark purplish (yay hormagaunt purple!) and I can maybe do the ribbons in blue or blue/green.

Originally posted by apz
    Thanks, I know about the missed bit - it\'s a bit inaccessible but I\'ll try to hide it with some dark colour today :)
    Ah, ok. I think it\'s very brave of you to paint him assembled - I had to do mine in bits, otherwise I would have gone mad! lol

Originally posted by cfwheeler58
    Krug, Shakes, Cleen X mailed Saturday so they may not have theirs yet.
    Have not heard from Quietmanes yet from an earlier mailing.
    18 others are received, some active, for a current total of 24 including Amazon and myself.
    One more I am trying to work out.

REMINDER: All with lonely wolfen are invited.
    Many are called....none are turned away.
    Recieved mine yesterday :D
    I am not at home but I will post pictures later in the day to show what I got :-) Hopefully I can start to prep and paint in the near future also!

Today\'s work

Shaded skin with washes of dark brown and dark military green.
    Skin will be highlighted back up to khaki and beyond.
    The tabard will be a darker red....burgundy or maroon.
    The wraps have been highlighted back up to GWF hormagaunt purple and will go a lttle lighter.
    Belts and leathers will be browns, not blacks.
    Metals will be silver, not gold.
    The yellow on the standard is a Polly S camo yellow...a little cooler than most bright yellows.

Then there\'s the armor plate, which has been basecoated PP Greatcoat Grey, which is a blue/green/grey.
    Not sure if I like it.

Tail color ?

I need some ideas

CFW
    Hi Chris. With the current scheme you risk the red cloak becoming a focal point. Not sure if that\'s your intention or not, but it draws the eye down and away from the face because it\'s a bright warm color surrounded by cool colors. If you leave it that way maybe you can make the face a lighter color than the sking around it to make it stand out.

The tail- maybe a light tan or off-white? Seems like with a light skin color it should be lighter too, but I\'m no wolfen expert. :)

Zach

@Cleen X - Excellent news.
    We\'re getting close to the end of the beginning now.

@APZ - Thanks. I\'m loving your scheme so far.
    If the eyes are staying black, get a high gloss and a light point.
    They will look really menacing...

@AW - I recently saw tangerine, aqua and a dark brown/black together
    with gold metals. They looked great.
    Not sure if your skin color is too cool for this, but it\'s a thought.
    I will eventually do my Ashantyr in this scheme.

@Zach - I knew you\'d see something here.
    The tabard is not intended to be focal.
    I was also considering a dark marroon or an earthen gray.
    I think I\'ll finish the skin first, then decide on this and the tail.
    I\'m also going to re-base the armor in the same GG, but a touch darker.

@SD - Nice. I wouldn\'t have thought of the green tabard...looks great.
    I\'d suggest the horns start out darker coming out of the skull and fade to the tips.

@AW - I recently saw tangerine, aqua and a dark brown/black together
    with gold metals. They looked great.
    Not sure if your skin color is too cool for this, but it\'s a thought.
    I will eventually do my Ashantyr in this scheme.
    Intriguing. I don\'t suppose you have any pix or a link? Her colouring is very cool, more than I thought it would be. I\'m very glad I used VMC ivory to highlight and not white, tho. I think it makes things look softer.

Hmm I\'m still not liking the way the robes are turning out on mine. I\'m gonna try one more time, and if i still dont like it, I\'m stripping it as I dont want the paint to get too thick.

So.... many.... colours!

After being a bit unsure about the colours I chose, I\'m fairly happy with how they came out. I think I might do a little freehand on the skirt, it looks a little empty at the mo. I\'ve started blocking in the colours for the nmm, too. I\'d like the greens to end up like mrika\'s Alexia, so I\'ve kicked off with scaly geen and will be shading with midnight blue and highlighting with lighter greens and yellows. For the gold, I\'m attempting to follow razza\'s Sigvald tut. I don\'t have the exact colours, but as with the green nmm, I feel it\'s more about the placement of the colours than copying them precisely from other people. The green\'s pretty much all in place, but I\'ve missed some of the gold (knee plate, tiara thing, sword hilts and pommels). I\'ve been a bit untidy with the green and gold, but I\'ll tidy it up as I go.

I\'m fascinated by cfwheeler\'s colour suggestions, so the ribbons may well end up being some variant of aqua blue.

The hair has been highlighted, but it\'s almost impossible to see from the angles of these photos!

The only thing I\'m worried about now is drowning the poor lass in too many bright colours. What do you think?

I actually managed to get a little paint down. :D

For the past couple days, I\'ve been working on the base not the mini. I won a sprue of dryad bits from a painting competition at the LGS so I will take pictures once i attach those.

Originally posted by Amazon warrior
    So.... many.... colours!

After being a bit unsure about the colours I chose, I\'m fairly happy with how they came out. I think I might do a little freehand on the skirt, it looks a little empty at the mo. I\'ve started blocking in the colours for the nmm, too. I\'d like the greens to end up like mrika\'s Alexia, so I\'ve kicked off with scaly geen and will be shading with midnight blue and highlighting with lighter greens and yellows. For the gold, I\'m attempting to follow razza\'s Sigvald tut. I don\'t have the exact colours, but as with the green nmm, I feel it\'s more about the placement of the colours than copying them precisely from other people. The green\'s pretty much all in place, but I\'ve missed some of the gold (knee plate, tiara thing, sword hilts and pommels). I\'ve been a bit untidy with the green and gold, but I\'ll tidy it up as I go.

I\'m fascinated by cfwheeler\'s colour suggestions, so the ribbons may well end up being some variant of aqua blue.

The hair has been highlighted, but it\'s almost impossible to see from the angles of these photos!

The only thing I\'m worried about now is drowning the poor lass in too many bright colours. What do you think?
    That is some serious color! :D

Is the metal bit around her waist going to be the same color it is now or is that going to be the blue-green color? I\'m interested to see how this turns out- should be great.

Zach

just a quick update...

i have got my guy cleaned and pinned...
    ready for primer, but it\'s been a rainy week...
    i\'ll get some basecoats on at the paintin\' club on thursday, and put up the first WIP pics on friday...

these first few puppies are lookin\' good...
    Varghar is one of the coolest minis ever...
    lookin\' forward to see what setting he is in on his base...

keep up the good work, all...
    this is a very cool project, and thread...

cheers
    jah

Originally posted by CrookedEye
    Originally posted by Amazon warrior
    So.... many.... colours!

That is some serious color! :D

Is the metal bit around her waist going to be the same color it is now or is that going to be the blue-green color? I\'m interested to see how this turns out- should be great.

Zach
    It\'ll be gold nmm..... hopefully! lol I figured too much green would be overwhelming.