District 9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: District 9

Default District 9

Has anyone seen this movie yet? I want to see it but I am scared it will suck.

Saw the premier of it yesterday (today?) and i personally thought it was very well done. Then again, im just a teenager so my taste may differ from yours :P Starts off rather slow, and ends with a bang on a somewhat good note. Hope none of that is considered a spoiler? Overall, its a 7.5/10 methinks, good to see in the theaters once, but after that probably not.

Looks interesting. Not sure about the whole Guantanamo Bay undercurrent that seems to be running through the thing. That\'s the impression I got from the trailers anyway.

Well, it\'s still at 87% on www.rottentomatoes.com if you go by reviews at all! For reference Iron Man and the new Star Trek were both 90+%.

Also, FWIW, it\'s more apartheid than Guantanimo Bay in feeling...

I\'m looking forward to seeing it next week when I get some time off from work.

Many critic are reviewing it as the sleeper hit of the summer..pretty low budget.. its my go see it Monday when I get back from Gen Con movie..

Originally posted by Dragon Forge Design
    Many critic are reviewing it as the sleeper hit of the summer..pretty low budget..
    In comparison, star trek cost $150 million to make, this one only cost $30 million.

I just love that part where a guy tries to fire an RPG at the big space ship and a robot catches it. Plus I like Peter Jackson... Bad Taste is one my favorite movies :D

Originally posted by Spacemunkie
    Looks interesting. Not sure about the whole Guantanamo Bay undercurrent that seems to be running through the thing. That\'s the impression I got from the trailers anyway.
    Oh, yeah, I guess I\'m thick. I didn\'t make that connection. I thought it was more about Aparthied, but from the trailers, you make a great point.

I have yet to see it. But, I really want to.

i saw it...i enjoyed it. it wasnt the most amazing movie ever, but a movie that makes one think. starts out documentary based and works its way into a movie. i think jackson and the director are the first guys to seamlessly blend these two elements together in a cohesive way. special effects were spot on........but i couldnt help but notice that jackson has stolen some ideas for weapons from the tau....seriously.... check out the gun van de mar has....its total tau tech...complete with chapter markings. kind of funny actually.

hmm...usually GW steals their ideas from movies...not the reverse!

Originally posted by uberdark
    but i couldnt help but notice that jackson has stolen some ideas for weapons from the tau....seriously.... check out the gun van de mar has....its total tau tech...complete with chapter markings. kind of funny actually.
    I know he\'s into WW1 miniatures/wargames and friends with the Perry brothers.
    Maybe they\'ve got him into 40K....lol

Mind you if a director was under consideration for doing a GW based movie.................................Hmmmmmmmmn.

Games Workshop wholesale ripped the Tau look from Japanese Manga and anime....

Meh, it was okay.

Too slow for an action movie, too one sided and preachy with one dimensional characters for a thinker, and the final climactic pay off wasn\'t quite enough to have me yelling at everyone to go see it.

District 10.... now THAT\'s gonna be a movie!

Originally posted by Dragonsreach

Mind you if a director was under consideration for doing a GW based movie.................................Hmmmmmmmmn.
    oh, god, yes

Originally posted by uberdark
    i saw it...i enjoyed it. it wasnt the most amazing movie ever, but a movie that makes one think. starts out documentary based and works its way into a movie. i think jackson and the director are the first guys to seamlessly blend these two elements together in a cohesive way. special effects were spot on........but i couldnt help but notice that jackson has stolen some ideas for weapons from the tau....seriously.... check out the gun van de mar has....its total tau tech...complete with chapter markings. kind of funny actually.
    jackson just put the cash up on this neil blomkamp (the guy jackson wanted to direct the halo movie) directs it and its a remake of his own 2005 film alive in johburg

even though tau were obviously ripped off from japanes manga its quite possible on a subtextual level that blomkamp imitated games workshop with the comparison of aliens to \"black people\"

but i guess that all depends on your take on whether gw are racist or not

I don\'t know where you got the comparison of the aliens to black people. I don\'t see it at all. A little off topic, but I do find that making assumptions like that only adds fuel to the fire.

I saw the movie this afternoon and thought it was awesome. Graphics were quite good and not overdone. I was pretty impressed. I\'m hoping there will be a sequel! :)

-Matt

jackson just put the cash up on this neil blomkamp (the guy jackson wanted to direct the halo movie) directs it and its a remake of his own 2005 film alive in johburg

even though tau were obviously ripped off from japanes manga its quite possible on a subtextual level that blomkamp imitated games workshop with the comparison of aliens to \"black people\"

but i guess that all depends on your take on whether gw are racist or not
    why the quotes on \'\"black people\"\'?
    The writer/director is South African, who I would think is very well-versed in his country\'s old Aparthied way of life.

He\'s using this to portray the \'Prawns\' as second-class citizens, and therefore separated from the \'first-class\' society - humans - what Aparthied was set up to do.

I don\'t think GW is rascist. what a strange thing to say....

Originally posted by mattsterbenz
    I don\'t know where you got the comparison of the aliens to black people. I don\'t see it at all. A little off topic, but I do find that making assumptions like that only adds fuel to the fire.

I saw the movie this afternoon and thought it was awesome. Graphics were quite good and not overdone. I was pretty impressed. I\'m hoping there will be a sequel! :)

-Matt
    Actually, references to the apartheid are numerous and quite transparent. Some parts looked almost like documentary from shanty towns filmed say 40 years ago including this whole eviction episode and even the name of the movie. I suggest you read up something on the forced eviction of district six in Cape Town. Probably, I am too old and still remember this a bit too well.

[quote]Originally posted by skeeve
    Originally posted by mattsterbenz

-Matt
    Actually, references to the apartheid are numerous and quite transparent. Some parts looked almost like documentary from shanty towns filmed say 40 years ago including this whole eviction episode and even the name of the movie. I suggest you read up something on the forced eviction of district six in Cape Town. Probably, I am too old and still remember this a bit too well.

PS: Here is a link about District 6

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/cape-district-that-still-bears-scars-of-apartheid-pretorias-racial-zoning-destroyed-a-community-benjamin-pogrund-reports-on-plans-for-regeneration-1432677.html

I had a friend rave about it today and he usually poopoo\'s every film he sees, so i think it might be worth a watch but Inglorious Basterds first i think.