Donga\'s Euro2010 WIP...

Thread: Donga\'s Euro2010 WIP...

Default Donga\'s Euro2010 WIP...

I know I\'m a little early for this but I have to plan way ahead (my painting time is limited, I have a big comission on the horizon).

I have the Pegaso Mounted Crusader ready, I have another Pegaso 75mm Crusader ready. Shown elsewhere or appearing soon:)

Anyway, to the point. I\'m going to enter the Vignette cat next year as well and I\'m having to do some major resculpting. Guess what it\'s a crusades scene (I am getting sick of the crusades).

Tell me what you think, more picks to come ;)

Hi Donga, not my normal subject matter or scale ( assume it\'s not 28mm at least) but it looks nice :) No immediate issues with the poses. I guess that fiddly bits like stirrups & reins come a lot later?

Out of interest, when you\'re setting up a vignette like this, do you consider the final primary photo angle? as in, which of the 4 shots above would be the angle for the top image on your Gallery montage? I guess it would be the same view that a name plate would be mounted facing.

My experience of painting horses so far has been disapointing though, this looks like a nightmare to paint for me lol

:beer: B.

OK at first glance it looks great, but something has struck me the more I look at it.
    The Scaracen\'s Horse head looks too static.
    Two things run in my mind about it:
    1 Horses wouldn\'t be \'happy\' about shouting screaming and whirling metal close to them.
    2 IIRC weren\'t horses at that time \'trained\' to be more than just mobile seats

I\'ve tried to find the Leonardo Da Vinci sketches from the Battle Of Anghiari

Which might give some indication of what I mean.

But basically I\'m just jealous. :D

Looks really cool!! :D I echo Mikes comment though. The front side of the horse looks like he\'s just strutting about.

Originally posted by Dragonsreach

2 IIRC weren\'t horses at that time \'trained\' to be more than just mobile seats
    you mean you can remember that far back?

Mike & Sven: That\'s a good point and something I\'ve been wrangling with. I\'ve been stuck on how to repose the Saracen horses head. I don\'t want a repeat of the crusaders horses head position.

Nice illustration Mike, there may be the key within :)

Originally posted by freakinacage
    Originally posted by Dragonsreach

you mean you can remember that far back?
    Touche.

Update

What\'s been done, the basework has been started (it was a nice change while waiting for GS to go off!).

Sculpting, Hospitaller - one shoe, sleeve and ring-mail on his right arm. Some tweaking on the body. His Ventail has been done, just some clean up and detailing to do.

Arab/Bedouin/Saracen - started his turban and given him some boots and filled some gaps. I also saw in an Osprey illustration of a Moorish Prince with a cloth cover on the horses neck, so I nicked the idea. The Arab horse has had his neck re-sculpted/posed and the ears bent back a little. He also looks like he\'s going to bite the bum of the bay.

The base was made by filling a bit of drain pipe (with the end blocked off) with bonkers strong plaster and leaving it at a slight angle to go off. Easy!

Comments welcome

The base is looking good. What colour scheme do you have in mind?

The Hospitaller - Black robes and shield, bay hores, natural colour materials.

Arab- Lots of bright clean colours, I\'m thinking blue/greens with some reds & yellows to accent the other colours. The horse will be a light colour, not grey though. Then there\'s going to be alot of freehand patterns/designs.

It\'s a shame Im so far from getting to that stage!

Oh, and the base is going to have some battle field wreckage on it, discarded shields and equipment and arrows stuck in the ground.

MUCH to do!

Donga, Be careful with what ideas for colours etc that you use and also the idea of the cloth head cover for the Saracin.

One of the things the judges look for at Euro when judging is accuracy for the figures etc in that period and they are a very knowledgable and rescourceful bunch.

Nice work though all the same and I shall look forward to seeing it finished.

Originally posted by War Griffon
    Donga, Be careful with what ideas for colours etc that you use and also the idea of the cloth head cover for the Saracin.
    I\'m quite well covered, I have an excellent source of Osprey books. Everything is getting based on them :D Rock solid providence!