GW\'s \'secret\' box game.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GW\'s \'secret\' box game.

Default GW\'s \'secret\' box game.

Well as quite few people will know GW have been pimping a \'Secret box game\' available for pre order as of today.
    GW were saying that this had never been done before.(*)

Speculation in our store was quite rife with opinions really interested in a Warhammer Inquisitor scale game. ie Witch Hunter

So what is it......... Space Hulk.

To me a great disappointment, I never liked Space Hulk, and always thought of it as bland and uninteresting.
    Ah well no doubt GW\'s Limited Edition of the game will grab money out of some people pocket.

(* What they mean is that they\'ve never advertised a game like this before. And I hope they never do again).

Oooops me slagging off GW, time for a drink. :beer:

Oh, there was a small announcement in a recent WD for a forthcoming Realms Of Chaos (?) boardgame, I assumed that was what was going to be revealed (actual contents rather than box cover art). So will GW actually be selling a board game again or will it be like Talisman where you have to track down a copy from an Indy games shop? B.

GW selling it (supposedly as a limited edition) for £60 (Ok £58.70).

Cheers DR, £60 for a boardgame, am I just getting on & everything feels expensive or is that a lot for a 2 player game? I guess the \"Limited\" availability may help justify the cost, at least it\'s not as bad as the comics world of the \'90\'s where we\'d have the game being released with 10 variant holographic box tops lol

So Space Hulk in store, hopefully not so limited as at that price it\'s a Christmas present, if they sell out by November it\'d be a shame. I do have fond memories of the game, well fondish, my girllfriend at the time used to beat me at it regularly ;)

Here\'s a link to the Chaos game, which looks interesting, anyone tried it?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...%20Old%20World

B.

Yep it\'s Space Hulk but a big pile of pants.

They haven\'t increased the square size so your Termie bases still wont fit properly, the tiles look crappy. The minis are ok.

If you\'ve got the other 2 then don\'t buy, or better still download the free 2nd edition tiles from the net that have been made to fit the new termies.

Looks like the just couldn\'t be arsed to make anything different for it. except some minis.

so your saying they WONT fit a regular terminator base then? and the genestealers wont fit on their own base either?

Minies are actually quite decent, especially genestealers. I wish I could get those without the rest of the limited edition. I do find that $100 for a board game FOR TWO is a bit excessive, and WAY excessive if I just want miniatures (in fact, only half of them), but then again if my kids whine long enough I might break :)

Yes as we discussed here 6 months a go!!

Dispite the lying little tw*t who was temporary in charge of our local GW store telling me I didn\'t know what I was talking about :cussing:

I think the plastics are great and will get it to bulk up my Marines and trade the Genesealers.

Neil

well, i don\'t play, but i am sold on these minis...
    i\'m scramblin\' to sell my soul to get my hands on this box...

in my opinion, these are the best plastic termies and genestealers ever...
    too bad i have no use for the game...

i really do hate the marketing angle here, though...
    why limited edition on a box game???

cheers
    jah

from some one who has only played the origional game 3 ro 4 times, i think this is great, yeas its shite having it as a limited edition, but the minis are fantastic, plus for people who paint you can spend time doing the minis. i\'ll bet if some other company did something like this eveybody(or most) people would love it, but because GW are trying to make something differant, suddenly everybod starts slagging GW off! for new(ish) people to the hobby who haven\'t played it before its great, for those who have then you get some cool looking minis, plus a great old game!

i hate to say it but i think i\'d be tempted just for the minis

is it me or are the termie\'s legs longer?

Interesting that you like the minis, have to say the genestealers look a little weak to me, perhaps because them crawling over ruins reminds me of the hero-clix (Giger) Alien plastics I saw in a Pound Shop & still didn\'t buy. As a role-player I should be okay with imagination, I have many a figure with a grassed base that has spent months in a dungeon, but why are they crawling up a colum if I\'m moving them 5 spaces down a corridor?

About the price, I think I may be in mental-block land, £20 for a boardgame, £35 for a deluxe boardgame, after that it doesn\'t matter if it comes with platinum playing pieces, it still feels expensive.

Perhaps once the Limited Edition has sold out the figures will be available in a SM sprue pack & a GS pack for £10-15 each with downloadable rules & tiles?

Does anybody else think the irregular bases make them look very non-GW? My brain automatically thinks \"cheapo\" though I\'ve no reason to assume that the quality differs from any other GW plastic.

B.

I do like the genestealers, they\'ve got some good poses, the termies are ok too.

£60 is a lot to ask though for a board game that was essentially free on the GW website. e.g. the board sections the rules.

They haven\'t made it any different. I love space hulk and was looking forward to the rumoured plastic board sections.

I would have bought it even if the squares on the floor where the right size for the terminator mini\'s but they are 1\"which is the old size, they\'ve just made the parts on the games miniatures smaller.

I think it\'s a bit of a missed opportunity.

@Uber - they will fit the new terminator bases, but the bases don\'t fit on the board, the new bases are bigger than the gaming sqaures.

i personally think the dead termie lord on the throne has so many possibilities for conversion my mind dont know what to do. yeeehah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I\'ve always liked SH anyway, and Talisman. Personally I always thought they were a great introduction into the Hobby for new or younger players, I thought it was a big mistake doing away with them in the first place

Originally posted by BPI
    As a role-player I should be okay with imagination, I have many a figure with a grassed base that has spent months in a dungeon, but why are they crawling up a colum if I\'m moving them 5 spaces down a corridor?
    bloody double standards!!
    Originally posted by BPI

Does anybody else think the irregular bases make them look very non-GW?
    yeah and it not as if they will fit in nicely with square or hex tiles..strange

Originally posted by Neil H

Dispite the lying little tw*t who was temporary in charge of our local GW store telling me I didn\'t know what I was talking about :cussing:
    rofl!

bloody double standards!!
    lol

A D.M.\'s prerogative lol B.

It\'s about as exciting as a wet fart...woop de doo.

Genestealers look nice, wish they were available separate from the box.

Peace and love...

Originally posted by matty1001
    It\'s about as exciting as a wet fart...woop de doo.
    Sorry sir, but I do not like your analogy.

A wet fart would add much excitement to daily life.

Imagine...

You are just about to be frisked by a Police Officer, you are one wet fart away from being tased.

You are the model of the white pants division at the shopping center, I guess brown is the new black.

Someone asks if there is a run in your stockings, and you tell them you aren\'t wearing stockings....

Wet farts are VERY exciting!!

But, the game is exciting as well....just not the hefty price tag and the \'limited edition\' crap.

Originally posted by supervike

You are the model of the white pants division at the shopping center, I guess brown is the new black.
    at last, details of the day job come out!