Would you play against this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you play against this?

Default Would you play against this?

Hello all,

I want to make a space marine army using the straight SM codex but I want to use Chaos SM figures because I like them better. The fluff would be that they are mercenaries and drifters disillusioned with the empire. So they follow neither the emperor or the twisted Chaos gods Everything would be modeled WYSIWYG.

I wanted to get the general feeling of players on if they would play against an army like this if I showed up at your local store to play. Just in casual games I wouldnt play it in tourneys.

Does anyone else have armies that use certain rules but the figures aren\'t \"official\"?

Thanks

klute_in_the_valute

Im pretty sure youd get some kind of reaction like HOW CAN THEY NOT FOLLOW THE EMPORER or something.I dont play but from the sounds of some gamers when Im in buying minis,it can get quite anally retentive,,no offence to anyone meant.BTW Id love to game but no one I know does.:(

Sure you could do it, I wouldnt give a flying hoot aslong as they are WYSIWYG if we are useing that.

I noticed most peple that will BS you about it are the ones that have a successor chapter.

IE. A Blood Angel army painted blue or something.

kinda irionic huh?

Master Painter

What does WYSIWYG mean, I wish that everyone would stop using abbreviations.

Default Would you play against this?

it means \"What You See Is What You Get\". it is refering to having all weapons, armor and troop options modeled on to each mini in the army. If a specific troop in your army is supposed to have a bolter, chain sword, and melta bombs then the mini has to be modeled with a bolter, chain sword, and melta bombs.

@ Master Painter. WYSIWYG stands for \"what you see is what you get\";)

As for your idea ripperdoc have you considered doing a 13th company space wolves army? Its game legal and because they have been fighting in the eye of terror for so long they salvage chaos space marine armour and use that in conjunction with their space wolf colours. So I believe if you buy the box set of troops you get both SW sprues and chaos sprues. Its a really great compromise and would avoid any problems you have with the idea you thought about.

Regards

Kat :idea:

I have played many Rogue Trader Tournaments.(RTTs) and even more regional tournies, what you need to be clear on is what set of rules, ie. Codex, your army is going to be using.As long as you stick to a particular Codex no one will argue anything you do as long as you model WYSIWYG and adhere to the Codex.
    As for the use of Chaos Marines for a \"rogue\" chapter, Games Workshops ENCOURAGES players to \"create\" an army that is original, write some \"fluff\" about it, and then USE it in sanctioned RTTs, but they do expect you to use approved, and \"released\" army lists.
    The only time you may run into a problem is when you create your own rules for them.Like, if a unit is assaulted by an enemy unit, then it gets to fire all of it\'s weapons, make two assault attacks for each model, then move 6\" any direction to avoid the charge, you might have a few problems with other players, if you know what I mean:D
    BTW, I actually ran into a player in a tourny that claimed his army had a similar rule and wanted to use it;)LOL

Yeah, go ahead it will be cool. I\'m a sucker for doing this sort of thing, my LotD army has lots of \"chaos\" marines in it.

Default Yep!!

Originally posted by klute_in_the_valute
    Im pretty sure youd get some kind of reaction like HOW CAN THEY NOT FOLLOW THE EMPORER or something.I dont play but from the sounds of some gamers when Im in buying minis,it can get quite anally retentive,,no offence to anyone meant.BTW Id love to game but no one I know does.:(
    The rules referees! How quickly that would ruin a good game. I think some of those same folks leave the inane comments when voting. \"The REAL Horus would never use that color of death ray\" or some such nonsense!!

I am in agreement with you though Klute...I would love to play the games, but just don\'t know anyone else who would want to. I am trying to get my kids into it, but at 8 and 10 they would rather play Monopoly or Life!!

I\'d say that we could get a game going together, but there is that large landmass, followed by an even larger body of water.......;)

That sounds fine with me. You\'re using legal rules, you\'re using models that would be recognizable. I mean, it\'s not like you\'re using SM Codex rules with tyranid models.

\"Okay, the termaguants with blades are Space Marine scouts. The termagents with deathspitter (or whatever, I don\'t play Tyranids) are dreadnaughts, except the one with the blue on his carapace, that\'s a landspeeder\"

klute_in_the_valute

Supervike

I\'d say that we could get a game going together, but there is that large landmass, followed by an even larger body of water.......
    Not to mention the even larger landmass some people call my stomach:o

That sounds fine with me. You\'re using legal rules, you\'re using models that would be recognizable. I mean, it\'s not like you\'re using SM Codex rules with tyranid models.
    \"Okay, the termaguants with blades are Space Marine scouts. The termagents with deathspitter (or whatever, I don\'t play Tyranids) are dreadnaughts, except the one with the blue on his carapace, that\'s a landspeeder\"
    I have seen several converted armies, a Lustria Imperial Guard, a Skeleton Imperial Guard, and others, but as you said, Scything Talons are no substitute for Bolters.They were all modeled appropriately though.The Lustria IG had a Stegadon with an Earthshaker mounted in it\'s Howdah...made for an excellent Basilisk....and was very easily recognized as a Basilisk...the key is making the models not only cool looking, but recognizable as what they are supposed to be representing.

provoke_me

Default i new i did something wrong.

omg

so thats my problem...making and painting models so they ARE RECOGNIZABLE.

There are two chapters like that already,
    Soul Drinkers (read the books(2)) and the Relictors.

I think it is a great idea- back in the days of RT there were many references to independent space marines \'owned\' by wealthy merchants and rogue traders, renegades, and pirates. And why not make it your own- you are using official army lists after all so how you choose to represent it is really personal taste, much like a paintjob.

eyeball_kid

i sometimes like armies with new ideas using old rules.
    for example i have a \"grot gaurd army\" that uses the rules of imperiel gaurds but is made out of converted gretchin.
    on the hand it should at least be a fun idea, not really be taken that seriously and you have to tell your opponent what everything is. i once played against what looked like a blood angels army, but half way through the game found out that they were actually dark angels when they all pulled out plasma weapons and use that banner where they dont count as moving or something.
    boy was that suprising (and pretty annoying)

Mordekiem

My SM army is a pretty cool idea I think. They still worship and follow the Emperor, but have become disgusted with the greed and corruption of the Imperium. The leader was a high ranking officer of the Black Templars and worked as a liason for the chapter. He worked with the Imperium, other SM chapters, etc. One day he had a vision that was sent to him by the emperor that basically said the imperium was corrupt. The long and short of it is it that this officer and prophet learned from speaking witht he Emperor that the imperium does not listen to him anymore. He talks, but they either ignore him or just do not hear him. So, Being the \"one true prophet\" of the Emperor he led his splinter group of the black templars on a new crusade. Over time he has gained quite a few allies especially from other SM chapters and Battle sisters chapters. Since there is such a motley crew there battle tactics vary from group to group.

Rules-wise I used the codex marine rules or Ultramarines. At the time the Black Templar rules had not been released. Since the release I use black templar rules at times, but mostly codex marines. I like the flexibility the codex marines offer.

Models wise I have painted them a variation of the Black templars. The basic guy is black and white, but I use alot of red in the remainder of the army. My command squad is actually dark angels in robes with templar iconography. My army tends to be a bit darker than most SM armies I have seen. An inquisitor would see a definate taint of chaos. ;)

Perhaps the Prophet who leads my army speaks to the chaos gods instead of the Emperor. Or perhaps the Imperium has indeed fallen silent to the emperors true will. Only time will tell the story of The Black Watch.

-Mordekiem

Thank you for the confession heretic. I will contact one of my puritan brothers to come and cleanse you and your cult. :D

Innocense Proves Nothing
    Lord Inquisitor Buddha

Originally posted by Mordekiem
    My SM army is a pretty cool idea I think. They still worship and follow the Emperor, but have become disgusted with the greed and corruption of the Imperium. The leader was a high ranking officer of the Black Templars and worked as a liason for the chapter. He worked with the Imperium, other SM chapters, etc. One day he had a vision that was sent to him by the emperor that basically said the imperium was corrupt. The long and short of it is it that this officer and prophet learned from speaking witht he Emperor that the imperium does not listen to him anymore. He talks, but they either ignore him or just do not hear him. So, Being the \"one true prophet\" of the Emperor he led his splinter group of the black templars on a new crusade. Over time he has gained quite a few allies especially from other SM chapters and Battle sisters chapters. Since there is such a motley crew there battle tactics vary from group to group.

Rules-wise I used the codex marine rules or Ultramarines. At the time the Black Templar rules had not been released. Since the release I use black templar rules at times, but mostly codex marines. I like the flexibility the codex marines offer.

Models wise I have painted them a variation of the Black templars. The basic guy is black and white, but I use alot of red in the remainder of the army. My command squad is actually dark angels in robes with templar iconography. My army tends to be a bit darker than most SM armies I have seen. An inquisitor would see a definate taint of chaos. ;)

Perhaps the Prophet who leads my army speaks to the chaos gods instead of the Emperor. Or perhaps the Imperium has indeed fallen silent to the emperors true will. Only time will tell the story of The Black Watch.

-Mordekiem

Mordekiem

Unfortunately I just do not find enough 40K players around here to play with em more and find out how things will turn out. :( Most of my friends (and myself) are into mordheim alot more so any table top games we play end up being that.

I think it\'s a pretty cool idea, although fluff-wise, a chapter or a group of Marines going renegade would probably have a short but interesting life. The Inquisition would fall on them like a ton of bricks.

I say go for it, though be prepared to catch lots of flak from fanboys.