Golden demon

Thread: Golden demon

Treacherous_1

Default Golden demon

hi all!

in recent months i have been contemplating preparing for the golden demon 2004. hey i dont care if i dont come anywhere close to winning anything, just the fact of actually going to the event would be a bonus. for the previous 5 years ive been unable to attend due to various circumstances. but this year theres no stopping me, im going and thats final.

anyways the question is what is your advice on using metallics or nmm? you see i would have thought as it is gamesworkshop that they maybe more biased to metallics rather than nmm. so if i did a nmm would i be shooting myself in the foot before i start? or dont they really care? logic would tell me that the best executed technique is going to win. but i wanted to check from those who have experienced the event.

many thanks,

Treach.

Master Painter

Do you read workshop\'s White Dwarf magazine because if you do then have a look at the winners in the catogory that you want to enter. That should give you some useful info on what the judges tend to pick as winners:idea:

The UK event typically favours metallics over NMM, whereas the US favours the NMM technique. Just looked again at the Golden Demon winners booklet and from what I can tell, theres maybe 2 entries that are NMM, the rest are metallics.

Regards

Kat

Default agree...

...kittykat23uk...it seem that gw encourages more on using metallic paint that NMM...

actually, metallic paints properly shaded looks as good as NMM...however, NMM is highly touted cos of the difficulty level in achieving the desired results...that\'s why there\'s a element of WOW!
    (PS: used to show friends who thought minis are little ponies and NMM looks comical to them...well, maybe cos my NMM is comical!! lol)

okie...i digress again...check out the recent white dwarf magazine, it has a good guideline on GD selection criteria...or else ask your local GWers.

Master Painter

Thats very true. Do you collect warhammer, warhammer 40,000 or Inquisitor kittykat23uk?

If you\'re going for fun, continue that theme with what (and how) you choose to paint it. Don\'t worry about whether the judges like NMM or metallics. Find some figures that you really will enjoy painting and paint them however you want.

After all the hobby is about fun, not trophies. After the initial buzz from winning, your life will go back to \"normal\" (aside from some more commission work :) and you\'d better have enjoyed the path to the trophy, \'cause in the end, it\'s just a hunk of plastic :)

jim

Treacherous_1

yeah already from what you have said sort of confirms my thoughts. ive seen the winning entries for the last 3 years provided in the supplement of white dwarf and many other back issues, but as i have never been to a competition i have yet to see the entries that dont make the cut.

well whilst im on the topic whats the norm? a few WoW pieces that win the trophies and the rest are ok or is it a really close cut competition?

By the way didnt realise you came from portland sivousplay! not that i come from there but thats the only place in the states ive ever been! really nice! although, the night before leaving we had to spend the night in the car as the hostels were fully booked up. nevermind!

many thanks,

Treach.

I\'ve only been to one GD ... LA last year. There are a lot of good pieces throughout the field especially in the single fig categories. Off the top of my head, here are a couple CMON IDs to pieces that only made first cut in 40k single:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/index.php?id=29970&c=All&m=All&nm=none

http://www.coolminiornot.com/index.php?id=29970&c=All&m=All&nm=none

As you can see both are pretty highly rated here and both sold for $200+ on ebay. That gives you some sense of what \"loses\" at a random GD.

If you want a few more, go check out my gallery ... I have 3 more pieces that didn\'t even make first cut yet rate 8+ here.

I hope that helps
    jim

BTW, yes Portland is a beautiful place, but we try to tell everyone that it rains all the time so that it won\'t get too crowded. ;)

Treacherous_1

its true! it didnt rain whilst i was there but you shouldnt go giving out secrets like that, they\'ll all come flocking.

cheers for the additional help its most appreciated.

many thanks,

Treach.

Originally posted by Master Painter
    Thats very true. Do you collect warhammer, warhammer 40,000 or Inquisitor kittykat23uk?
    Heya Master Painter,

in re. to your question, I collect things that are scaly or furry. ;) With GW this means Lizardmen so I guess you could say Fantasy there. I have an army of lizardmen but have only played one game. I also have some of the GW dragons, such as the high elf one, the old citadel green one, Baudros the 2 headed chaos dragon and the wood elf forest dragon. Oh and of course I have the forgeworld temple guard and the fire dragon. :D In terms of 40K I only have a couple of tyranids.

Personally in general, I prefer Reaper, and prior to that Ral Partha, to GW for dragons. (not including the FW dragon cause that is immense!).

These days I collect wolfen and devourers for Confrontation, primarily to paint rather than play (theres no one local that plays), along with a few of their other models thrown in for good measure (dirz and orcs).

I have a few of the new Brettonian range to paint up for Tammy at GW which will be my next project once I finish this carnasaur. Then probably back to wolfen for a bit, then will be starting on Trogdor for this years Games day I guess! :D

Yep I\'m gonna be busy for a while!

Regards

Kat

The australian judges specifically stated they weren\'t biased towards either metals or NMM.

Entries vary wildly, but the UK competition is FIERCE, even excellent miniatures will not place.

If you want to up your chances of winning a trophy, don\'t enter the single mini categories, as these tend to attract a lot of the best entries, slayer swords usually go to the 40K or warhammer single.

If you can do NMM really well, go for it. I see alot of winning entries that use NMM. But if you can do NMM, dont do it, its better to stick with something you know you can do.

Like I am painting up my pieces for GD baltomore now. And I dont think Im going to use any NMM. I know that if I use NMM its going to turn out not looking like metal and using a simpler way isnt worse.

I say you really have to do with what you feel comfortable with as an artist.

I\'m sure you don\'t get artists always wondering what \'the people will like\' and doing that. They do what they want to do and execute it however they like, and I think all here should be of the same mind.

That kind of thinking and the deliverance of something you\'ve really worked hard on and enjoyed creating will become self-evident in the piece itself, and thus to the judges you\'re worried about.

Pick what you want to do, and do it. Remember, you\'re not defined by what other people judge you to be.

I will use on the GD NMM, cause I like it more than Metallics. In the end you have to like them mini if you win or not =).

@KittyKat: The Red FireDragon is great, I wann get one too. But ist is damn expensive. I hope to see its painted soon from you =)

Vahilor

Hi Vahilor,

Unfortunately as this is hopefully going to be my golden demon entry for this year\'s competition, you wont be able to see him finished until at least september! :(

Hope he\'ll be worth the wait though!

Regards

Kat

Master Painter

How do you post pictures Kat?

Well this is a bit OT for this thread, but basically:

1. First you need to have the pictures on your hard drive, they must be less than 100K in size and no more than 600 pixels wide. Jpeg format is best.

2. Then go into \"your account\" (there is a button on the main CMON page), and scroll down past your account information.

3. There should be a section saying \"add another picture\".

4. Assuming you are going to upload, rather thank link to a website. click on the \"browse\" button next to \"Or upload a picture\".

5.This brings up a list of your files then you just need to find the directory where you stored your images on your hard drive and double click on the one you want.

6. Then select the appropriate category from the drop down list (e.g. Fantasy) and same with Manufacturer (e.g. GW).

7. Then where it says \"another mini\" overwrite this with the name of your model (e.g. High elf dragon).

8. Then add any information you think would be of interest to the viewer in the comments section. I\'ll normally give a description as to how I have painted a model, or particular aspects that I am pleased/displeased with.

9. Finally rate your model as to what you think t deserves.

10. Click on \"Add this picture\" once all the above has been completed.

11. The image will have a status of waiting until one of the moderators approve the picture to go up. Until it is approved, only you will be able to view it. Approval takes a few days sometimes, depending on how busy the moderators are.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Kat

Treacherous_1

Default guess i should open my eyes!

oh well ive just searched and found the first round of finalists from the UK GD on the GW website. well it sure gives me a better understanding if the range of quality. shame you cant see them up close.

Treach.

I\'ve been entering GD for...let\'s see, um....4 years now. This year will be my fifth.

The first time I didn\'t get anywhere, the next two years I got one model past the first cut each time, last year I got 3 models past the first cut . But no statuette yet :(

I would say keep the pieces small. I often find myself making my pieces too large, which means I am overstretched and can\'t give each part the attention it deserves. My advice - do a small piece to a high standard, rather than only having time to paint a large piece to a reasonable standard. That\'s what I\'m gonna try this year

I have been going to GD for the past what 7 years? i am only 14 but i have seen many GDs :cool: I have been placed twice in Young Bloods and have got through to finals 3 times (duel 2003, 40k squad 2002 and Young blood 2003) tbh i think they dont mind NMM or metalic, its up to you and what you are best at, which catagory are you planning to enter?

Tommy Juskus