Ebay users, update reg. info?

Thread: Ebay users, update reg. info?

Sturmhalo

Default Ebay users, update reg. info?

Anyone else received an e-mail from Ebay requesting that they update their registration information?

They require all my details including credit card numbers, National Insurance number (for those of us in the UK), and my e-mail password. I\'ve got 24 hours to update my info or have my account terminated! It just seems a bit fishy to me even though the web pages look like legitimate Ebay pages!

???

Sounds fishy to me. eBay doens\'t ask for that info. I wouldn\'t do it. Or atleast contact them and ask. Not to mention, what\'s the worse that could happen? They will cancel your account? According to Chrispy\'s thread \"It\'s official:eBay is run by idiots\". lollollol

Originally posted by Sturmhalo
    Anyone else received an e-mail from Ebay requesting that they update their registration information?

They require all my details including credit card numbers, National Insurance number (for those of us in the UK), and my e-mail password. I\'ve got 24 hours to update my info or have my account terminated! It just seems a bit fishy to me even though the web pages look like legitimate Ebay pages!

???

Sturmhalo

Just checked back and they don\'t require my NI number, it requests a Social Security Number.

Still very suspect. No one ever asks you for your e-mail password!

Its a scam! Don\'t do it. There are a lot of these sort of scams going around, they pinch your credit cards and spend your money. Here is a link to EBay\'s comments on this scam:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing-uk.shtml#20031216142925

Regards

Kat

Another thing that they will do here is use this information to hijack your account. Sometimes what happens when your account is hijacked is that the hijacker will post big ticket items for sale at really good prices, take the persons money at the end of the auction and run. leaving you holding the bag.

Do not ever reply to those mail. They are all scams like everyone have mentioned.

All ebay correspondence always starts off with you name, not dear customer or ebay user, and there is never a need for you to give them any of your info to verify anything. Just delate those mail.

Yep, I got one of those too and sent it to ebay. They responded that it is definately a scam and they said to be wary and not even click on the link. Their advice and mine, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD IMMEDIATELY!!! Even if you didn\'t click or respond in any way it couldn\'t hurt to do every so often!:cool:

Default yup

they tried it with me- tried to scam me with my PayPal account too. My thought was even if it WAS legit- screw it- I\'m not giving out my entire identity to anyone online ;)

Before you delete it, forward the entire thing to spoof@ebay.com.
    Then eBay can track down the site and legally have it shut down.
    I\'ve gotten a lot of these, because my eBay user name used to be my email address. I forwarded on every one, and they sent me an email thanking me and telling me that particular site had been shut down. Jerks! I even got one once that wanted everything, birthdate, ssn, 3 credit card #\'s, address, you name it. How dumb do they think I am? :mad:

Wait, don\'t answer that lol

I seem to get them fairly often. I\'d say about once every 1 or 2 months.
    And I also get one similiar for my paypal account.

Wish I have the know-how to reply and infect THEM with a virus or something.
    :flame:

Default Oh, boy how much do I agree with that sentiment...

Originally posted by Kamui K
    Wish I have the know-how to reply and infect THEM with a virus or something.
    :flame:
    I guess it would be ultimately self-destructive however and just add to the poison that infects the web.

I have occasionally replied with outrageous made-up details just to waste their time. That can be quite satisfying...:D

The best one I got was a version of the \'Nigerian Scam\' but based in \'Lord of the Rings\' Mythology. Boy, that made me laugh. I will try and dig it out and post it just to give everyone a giggle. Those bastards owe us that at least:D

Default Have a laugh.....

This is the genuine text of the email i received..Bless them:D

Dear sir and/or madame,

I am Grimhelm J.Wormtongue, The daughter of late Counsellor Gríma Wormtongue of the Kingdom of Rohan.

My father was Chief Counsellor [equivalent to Prime Minister] to late lamented king Théoden of Rohan. In his position my father altogether legally and correctly acquired significant assets throughout Rohan in order to protect the Kingdom from enemy forces within and without.

In the course of lamentable events succeeding, my father was illegally deprived of office and expelled from the Kingdom. Before this he had with foresight already entirely legally deposited the sum of US$42,000,000 in gold with one of the Africa leading Banks in Cote d´ Ivoire of which I will let you know if you identify your interest .
    While in exile in the north he was assaulted and murdered by a band of northern Orcs.
    His family was obliged to seek refuge in northern Dunland among some of our sympathisers..

My father left to me all documents necessary to retrieve the sum of gold aforesaid from the Bank.
    However, in the current political circumstances my solicitor believes it unwise for me to attempt to make the trip from Dunland to Cote d´ ivoire, and has recommended that I seek
    a trustworthy foreign business partner into whose account this money could be tranferred. This appears to be the best option as we are unable to open an account in Dunland.
    Therefore I am seeking your trustworthy assistance and cooperation.

You will provide information about your account that will enable a deposit
    to be made in your name. I will contact the Bank and inform them that the money is to be placed into your account.
    Upon completion of the transaction your share of the proceeds will be 15% net
    following deduction of all transfer fees, that is US$6,300,000.
    If the transaction goes well I will also look forward to maintaining you as a
    profitable business partner for future ventures.
    Therefore i will need your phone and fax numbers to enable me send them to the bank immediately as well as the account number of which this fund will be transfer into.

It goes without saying that I can expect your complete cooperation in keeping this matter confidential prefatory to completion as I awaits your urgent response.

Please reach me at my email address: Completetwat@idiot.com

I changed the email address, just in case anyone was tempted to send them their bank details...:D

Blog Entries

Its a Scam http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/phishing/ebay.asp

lol, that thing has to be the stupidest scam I ever saw !! lollol Can\'t even believe they even though of doing that. The scary thing is that it probably worked with some persons, moral: everybody should read the LotR has to not be fooled by internet scams :P

Default Hehehe...

Originally posted by frenchkid
    lol, that thing has to be the stupidest scam I ever saw !! lollol
    That\'s exactly what I thought, but I swear to [deity of your choice] that text is exactly as I received it.
    According to the official FBI website, people have lost millions by falling for the \'Nigerian Scam\' . Not that particular version I trust...:D

Originally posted by finn17
    Originally posted by frenchkid
    lol, that thing has to be the stupidest scam I ever saw !! lollol
    That\'s exactly what I thought, but I swear to [deity of your choice] that text is exactly as I received it.
    According to the official FBI website, people have lost millions by falling for the \'Nigerian Scam\' . Not that particular version I trust...:D
    There\'s actually a guy here that I work with who fell for that, or nearly so. He was actually about to fly out of the country to meet with the \"Nigerians\". Fortunately for him, his banker had reported to the government(as is required) the large cash transfer he\'d made. The FBI met him at the airport and dissuaded him from continueing on. Personally, I figure if he was that stupid, he would have deserved whatever he got :D

Default Bang on...

Originally posted by dauber22
    I figure if he was that stupid, he would have deserved whatever he got :D
    Gotta agree with that. Anyone who falls for that particular scam is clearly mad and doesn\'t deserve to have money. Anyone who falls for that \'type\' of scam is equally mad and greedy and deserves everything they get.

Don\'t you just find though that those \'Northern Orcs\' get just everywhere?:D

Default More

A church here in town lost a fortune.

The pastor figured he did really well until he figured it out and his \"flock\" was not very impressed.

Bad enough to lose your own money nevermind the money of your hardworking flock - but at least they got their tax receipts

Default I got the next scam.

++Segmentum Obscurus++
    ++BS Subsector++
    ++Delta Quadrant++
    ++Ordo Cashius++
    ++Terra Finacial Servitor++

Dear Faithful Imperial Citizen,

The Emperor has dictated that you will turn over all passwords to all active accounts. This includes email, ebay, credit card, and bank accounts. We need your blessed Social Security Number,and birthday. Do not ask why it is need. It is only for the Emperor to know. Contunued inquiries will result in a visit from the Inquisition and \"re-education\". Do not tell anyone. The spies for humanities enemies are everywhere.

Be strong in your faith

lollollol