Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOAP!

Default SOAP!

Anyone have any ideas how I can paint or model this effect?

or

I can do the water effect by simply adding a thin glaze of gloss varnish over the wet bits, but any ideas how I can do the soapy bits?

I\'ve had suggestions of using bicarb of soda but the tests i\'ve done makes this look grainy... i\'m after something much more...SOAPY...

Help!

Several things come to mind (never tried doing soap, though):
    - Talcum + PVA glue
    - Vallejo (I think) fine pumice paste
    - Snow paste
    - Snow flock (like the static grass, but finer and white) mixed with PVA
    - The very find kind of plaster they use for making molds of babies\' hands, ask at an arts&crafts store
    -Maybe some milliput, thinned down?

All of those I\'d apply with a fine spackle and only use a brush for tiny single \"pools\" of foam.

Proceed with caution, just brainstorming here, so you might want to try it on something that\'s not a model first ;)

Hope that helps
    MirzA

EDIT: Also, Water effects (the white \"foam\" stuff). Duh.

What comes to mind first is to slightly stir some really thick white paint with some really thin clear paint. Not sure that\'s really possible however. I\'d want to say the white would be nearly gel. Maybe that\'s the trick: just some really thick white gel paint.

How about some slightly thinned oil paint (white) over a sealed model. I think you could sort of get the scrubbed look by taking a larger coarse brush liek a dollar store hog\'s birstle brush and treat it like you\'re actually washing the vehicle? The advantage is the oil paint dries a lot less quickly so you have more time to play with it.

Just Brainstorming as well though.

Water effects gel(the Gel, not the milk! Important!) with a tad of white in it. Whip it good to make it foamy and then brush it on with a hard brush. Keep them long, swiveling strokes and make sure to \"waste\" a lot of the mixture to get the ridges.

I think this is one of those things you\'ll have to experiment with to see what looks best on the model.

My gut feeling is that you\'ll have to use something white and powdery, preferably with a bit of translucence, mixed into a binder of some kind to get the right sort of appearance. That way I think you\'ll be able to apply it in swirly patterns overall, instead of having to meticulously do each bit.

If you want to mix yourself, you could try talc in acrylic medium but it\'s often not completely white; powdered marble/whiting is worth trying, as are microballoons (larger sizes might work great for bubbles) and artificial sweetener (crushed down if necessary).

On the commercial end, one of the gritty acrylic mediums that are available might work for this. A mix of Liquitex Glass Beads Texture Gel and Natural Sand Gel looks like it might work great but hard to tell just from pics online.
    http://www.liquitex.com/Products/texturegelmediums.cfm

Einion

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I\'ve tried mixes of acrylic and enamel paint on things before and never been impressed so i might give that a miss.

I\'m not averse to painting every single bubble on if necessary - its just time and patience! So i am very interested in the glass/acrylic beads you mention. Anyone know where i can get some? I\'ve goggled with no luck in the UK.

The Liquitex gel mediums look great too - i\'ll give them a try!

I think it sounds like
    1. Gloss varnish and dullcote the model.
    2. Apply pva or a gloss varnish to the area to be soapy and let it dry (establishing the \'wet bit\')
    3. Apply by swirl or stiple a mix of some snow effect or plaster agrgregate or gel mixed with a suitable medium possibly with some white paint for transulcent depth.
    4. While wet apply some of the glass/acrylic beads for larger bubbles.
    5. Allow to dry and seal with pva or gloss varnish lightly.

I also have some white Ink, so i\'m wondering whether glazing the area with that between steps 4 and 5 will work.

I have a few pieces of scrap plastic painted up ready to practice on so i\'ll stick options on the blog.

thanks for the advice so far guys and keep it coming if you think of anything else....

Glass beads

These might be what you are looking for...

Originally posted by Chrome
    Glass beads

EXACTLY what I am looking for. If only they were in the UK...

I don\'t mind ordering from the states but i want these pretty quick and i\'ve had customs delay parcels in the last couple of months.

when I\'ve ordered from there it hasn\'t taken more than perhaps a week, they\'re very fast in my opinion.

And we live rather close to each other so the difference shouldn\'t be that extreme.

the vallejo snow and foam effect might be good for this.

when I\'ve ordered from there it hasn\'t taken more than perhaps a week, they\'re very fast in my opinion.

And we live rather close to each other so the difference shouldn\'t be that extreme.
    thanks chrome. I\'ll have a hunt in my local hobby craft tomorrow and if no luck then i\'ll put in an order

Originally posted by droogie77
    the vallejo snow and foam effect might be good for this.
    I\'ve looked at the vallejo snow and foam but it dries to an opaque finish and i wanted something translucent that i can wash/glaze white to try and get the right look.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Take a look at these two tutorials, you\'ll have to modify it a bit but ocean/river froth looks a bit like soap when done correctly:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/220
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/778

Glass beads

Ordered - Thanks Chrome

It all makes sense now. So how did you do it in the end?

Looks like it turned out really well! Congrats!
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

That soap tut is definitely a bookmark! ( along with the rest of your blog of course! )
    And glad I could help! Now to find somewhere I can implement your soapy ideas...

Thanks for sharing how you did the soap. It turned out really well.