Brush Licking FTW!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brush Licking FTW!

Default Brush Licking FTW!

Sorry, this is just one of those epiphany moments....

I finally caved into Ritual\'s signature and have started brush licking prior to adding paint (only after I clean the brush) and WOW what a difference... once again, thanks to the guys and gals on CMON for great advice and whether they know they\'re giving it or not :beer:

Blog Entries

I\'ve been a strong supporter of the brush lick for years... just be careful with Citadel Foundation paints, they taste worse than the devil\'s scrote... or so I hear.

muwahahaha. give in to your licking.

I. Don\'t. Get. It.

Paint tastes bad. Licking a brush, even a clean one, is wierd. I don\'t lick my brushes, nor do I lick my figs.

I reccomend not licking your brush. \'Cause it\'s wierd. There\'s enough wierdness associated with this hobby, let\'s not make it worse.

well it\'s not licking per say(sp??), it\'s more rolling the brush in your mouth to form a point :D

I think the old chestnut ink was the worst :rolleyes:

licking ink doesn\'t sound healty! :D altho, ive also just recently discovered the full glory of brush-licking. im really trying just to lick my clean brushes, tho lol

Blog Entries

If you\'re doing it right you aren\'t going to taste (much) paint in your lifetime :P

Anyway I don\'t mind the old inks, they never really bothered me at all. Old Shining Gold, from around the time they switched to the screw top bottles in around 2000, now that\'s the one where you didn\'t mind leaving some on the brush once in a while lol

For me, it is more a question of transferring saliva from my mouth onto the brush, than paint from the brush onto my tongue. So I give more than I take! :D I don\'t think I ingest much paint at all.

Oh, and don\'t listen to Scott! He\'s got only one eyebrow and runs around naked with an axe. He\'s not qualified to talk about weirdness! ;)

Originally posted by ScottRadom
    I. Don\'t. Get. It.
    i have to say i felt the same. one day i tried it. never looked back

Yay! Brush licking!
    Don\'t lick it if you\'re painting with foundation paints from GW... They are disgusting (same with the GW washes).

The only down side with brush licking, as I see it, is that it becomes almost a rephlex. A while back I had put Maskol on areas of a base that I was going to use my airbrush on. After having rinsed the brush I had used to apply the Maskol I absentmindedly wiped it across my tongue to reshape it. :|~:|~:|~:|~:|~:|~:|~ Maskol does NOT taste good!!!! Despite having rinsed it I could feel the taste of it... It tastes horrible, and it\'s hardly good for you, so beware of Maskol folks!!

Yeah and the foundations taste gross too. brushlicking FTW!

nothing is as bad as having a go at oils and then licking. turps is NOT good

I\'ve started licking my brush pretty much the moment my painting progressed above tabletop level, i can\'t remember why exactly.

I have two main reasons to lick my brushes...
    1) getting a point

2) Thinning my paints

that said, i sometimes put a loaded brush in my mouth to clean and hold it, if i need to use a different brush in a hurry (i.e. i don\'t have time to clean it with water and put it down gently)

oh and yes, the new GW foundations taste terrible.... :cry:

Brush licking FTL!

Seriously guys (and gals), you owe it to yourselves not to take the risk of pigment ingestion lightly. Any pigment could potentially be toxic to you and there are a number of Vallejo colours made from cadmium, chromium and aluminium pigments and this could be the norm for similar paints, in addition to small amounts of manganese possibly in some of the earths.

And do you know what the anti-fungal agents are? Then there are additives to keep foam at bay, humectants to help slow drying (antifreeze!) and anything else that might be in the mix.

Einion

I don\'t care about the health issues, like Einion. Lot\'s of stuff will kill you in this day and age. Like a naked dude with an axe and one awesome eyebrow.

I just want to know how it all got started? I\'d like someone to trace the roots of this insanity down to one single person. That way I can mock them. Even (or especially) if they\'re dead.

The custom of licking the brush to get a sharp point is very old afaik and pre-dates at least our generation.

@Einion: Are you even concerned with brushlicking without paint on it?

Have you heard of anyone developing allergies to hobby paint btw?

Like a naked dude with an axe and one awesome eyebrow.
    This worries me far more than the infinitesimal amounts of paint I might ingest through my brush licking habits. I mean, I might actually meet this person in real life! :o

Originally posted by Ritual
    Like a naked dude with an axe and one awesome eyebrow.
    This worries me far more than the infinitesimal amounts of paint I might ingest through my brush licking habits. I mean, I might actually meet this person in real life! :o
    If we do meet, at least it shouldn\'t be a challenge to pick each other out of a crowd or recognize each other!

So Brush licking is an ancient habbit. Wierd. I wonder if they couldn\'t afford water or something.

I was brush licking back when it was still frowned upon....