Do you paint or play? Or both?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you paint or play? Or both?

Default Do you paint or play? Or both?

I was just curious if very many people here play any of miniatures they paint, or if they paint just to paint. I used to play more in fourth edition of 40k myself, and have been trying to get an apocalypse sized army going recently, but with how bad necrons got nerf\'d in 5th I\'m starting to get back to just painting again. It seems like a waste to just let 4,000 points or so to sit, but it\'s really freed up time to finally work on pieces I\'ve wanted to just paint because I could. :)

Plus, it\'s nice to get some variety going again too. I\'m learning all sorts of new things, and getting in the practice I need to get better so long as I keep challenging myself.

I started here as a gamer/painter. My only goal was to get my armies looking nicer. I still paint at around the tabletop level but my desire to game has been replaced with painting just for painting\'s sake. I find myself sort of overwhelmed by the freedom of choice in projects though! It used to be I just went on to paint whatever I need for whatever army I was playing. And now, anything goes. That is, when I get to paint for myself though. My painting has been sort fo taken over by tabletop commissions. I have a break planned for december though. Hooray!

I used to play WAY back in the day. Painter only now - although I guess technically I would need to paint something in order to be truly classed as a painter as well. lol

I\'d love to play, but barely have the time and money to paint, so I just stick with that. I get a lot of vicarious fun hearing how my minis perform in battle. One of my commissars took down a necron lord in close combat once!

Just painter at the moment, used to play warmachine but haven\'t for about two years yikes.

I try to play as much as possible but to be honest I spend most of my time painting one thing or another. Its always been the case where a new miniature line comes out and I run straight out and buy it just because i want to paint them.

I paint more than play these days and what with working away from home alot I barely get time for that, the release of the latest Space Hulk game though is set to change that as I love that game.

I started with painting, in fact I have been painting military models before I gotto tabletop. When I had enough GW models assembled I also started gaming, and I occasionally do so still although I spend much more time at the painting then at the gaming table. I currntly own about 2800P of Ultramarines and about 750P Of warhammer orcs&goblins.

Micha

Blog Entries

I only paint/sculpt and enjoy modelling at the moment. I may be tempted into a game oneday, but the xbox360 satisfies my gaming needs and I enjoy Talisman too much to fit other games in as well.

painter but sporadic at best!

having said that rev wants a game of space hulk so i shall have to get some dice out!

I actually only paint and I\'m trying to do the most technic minis possible but my friends are trying tomake me learn 40K rules.

I\'m both have been for the past 13-14 yrs my painting has only just started improving in the past year or so lol

jsut started playing and i love it. but i have to have a goal to paint anything. for example, i chose orks last year. made a list of 2,000 points and slowly bought into the models over the past year. i think i will be choosing a new army this year to add to my other two 40k armies. possibly tyranids. but this time its gonna be an all carnifex army.

Never played anything, don\'t think I ever will.

Newbie, please be gentle Seoman's Avatar

I only had two sessions of Warzone many, many years ago. Few years ago I started painting, without even thinking of playing - no time for that. Recently I put my hands on Space Hulk, but I guess it doesn\'t count as wargaming :)

Painter. Haven\'t played 40k since the summer and even then it was with an old friend who hadnt played in a while either.

Both. Painting encourages me to want to put them on the table, and playing makes me want to paint more.

I just can\'t get myself to go with the idea that models aren\'t just really neat playing pieces. It informs my selection of materials and style - I use very durable stuff, and do paint jobs that can be repaired with little trouble if they get dinged. I have a couple models that folks know to be very careful with, but that\'s about it.

Despite thinking of them as playing pieces, though, I can\'t seem to convince myself to just leave them unpainted. In my mind, I just haven\'t gotten to them yet.

So, both!

played and occassionally still play Confrontation (in the 400AP range) and before that some MAgeknight, which has brought me to the hobby.

Gaming isn\'t anything special to me, especially since it\'s all dice dependend and the armies/peoples/factions are seldom ballanced. I always picked those that were the most visual appealing and tried to make the best out of it.

atm i am building a khaliman army....simply because they are CATS.

Been painting, designing, sculpting and all points in between for over 10 years now and have never played a game....ever!

Blog Entries

Yes.:D