SJB\'s latest sculpt...

Thread: SJB\'s latest sculpt...

Default SJB\'s latest sculpt...

Decided to try a couple of new things...

1. Sculpting a bust.

2. Using polymer clay instead of epoxy putty.

This guy is the result.

He can be voted upon here

http://www.coolminiornot.com/233405

Hi Steve

so how are you finding the polymer clay? is it Super Sculpey firm?

Is he scupted in multiple bakes?

did you find you needed to alter your technique much?

Oodles of character in the face - I feel that as a bust, slicing the arms like that doen\'t work for me; he needs some volume in the shoulder area, but thats a personal preference on my part

I\'m very much enjoying the polymer clay. Mainly that I can tweak the sculpt as I wish an infinite number of times. I haven\'t had to alter my technique a great deal really. The major change is not having to think ahead so much, though this is a particularly simple kind of subject.

No multiple bakes on him. In fact, I haven\'t been brave enough to bake him yet, Maybe later I\'ll be feeling a little less paranoid...

And he\'s a 50/50 blend of Super Sculpey Firm and Fimo Classic.

I like the \'arm slice\' look. I like the almost \'arty\' kind of look. I find busts can often look like figures that weren\'t finished, if that makes sense. But this is just my first experiment so I\'m not sure how I would approach future sculpts...

The face looks very good. Could probably be a little more detailed, when you compare it to some other busts on the market, but then this one is quite a bit smaller than most busts. I do think the eyebrows are a bit too pronounced and I don\'t really like the vertical ridges that sort of frame the forehead. Skulls generally don\'t have those ridges.

Message original : SJB
    I haven\'t been brave enough to bake him yet
    Either bake a test piece or monitor the baking process every 5 or 10 minutes.

Fimo has a light change of color once baked so if you think it\'s getting too dark, then it\'s the right time to get it out of the oven ;).

About the bust itself, I think you\'re up to your usual quality :). My only problem is with the eye area; it seems a bit too stylized. But since this is a test, it might be wanted ;).

Also, I find busts with large flat areas technically difficult to paint and find sculpted details more reassuring. I need to add an airbrush on the Christmas list :P. Just a note for your futur sculpts ;).

Regarding the forehead, it\'s very much a stylistic thing. He was planned as a demon and ended up looking somewhat vampiric (so I left the horns off). I know real foreheads don\'t go like that.

And, yes, he\'s a lot smaller than most busts. If he were a full length sculpt he\'d be around 80-90mm. Most busts are between 1/6th and 1/10th. This guy is roughly 1/20th.

The eyes are quite stylistic and I\'d probably go a little more realistic next time. Just learning right now.

For a better idea of size. That\'s a 30mm fig next to him.

Do you plan on releasing busts in the future? I love painting busts, and I wouldn\'t mind a few smaller sized ones like this, as they wouldn\'t take as long to paint as a 1:10 scale bust.

Well, I\'ll be releasing this guy at some point and I\'d like to do more. A lot will depend on how much he costs to cast up. I think, for small busts like this, I need an attractive pricepoint but that depends on my caster.

Look sreally good Steve, though I will always be more particular to your 30mm stuff..:)

To bake him you might try heating the oven up to the proper temp and let it remain there for about 10 minutes then pop the bust in. Tiem it to about 10 or 15 minutes. It should not take anymore than that. As far as I know SSF is pretty resilient stuff and should not burn very easily.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD AIR FLOW IN TEH HOUSE!

Good luck.

It was interesting talking to Chris clayton at the last couple of Euromilitaires......(Giganticdark) .......he says he bakes loads of times and the SSF can change colour

hes quite nice but i agree with cedric that his eyes are too stylised for this scale. i dont mind the chopped off arms look tbh either. i think it would look better with the chainmail rounded slightly rather than straight across his neck. also his sternocleidomastoids seem too curved to me (could just be me though)

Originally posted by freakinacage
    ...his sternocleidomastoids seem too curved to me...
    NERD!

The bust is fine and all, but Is that demon chick still available? I quite like that, and would like to pick one up in the new year if that\'s possible. Please PM me or post here if it\'s available from you, or somewhere in North America.

Hi Scott

Yes, the demon chick is still available. She\'s a ltd edition figure so I can\'t guarantee she\'ll be available in the long term but I don\'t think she\'ll sell out in the short term.

She\'s available straight from me and, as for US suppliers, she\'s available right here on coolmini in the store.

Nice work. I have to admit, even though eyebrows don\'t usually look like that as others have pointed, I think it makes the model look very interesting.

Originally posted by ScottRadom
    Originally posted by freakinacage
    ...his sternocleidomastoids seem too curved to me...
    NERD
    oi! i\'ma geek not a nerd! anyway i am a radiographer so i know my anatomy. also steve is a sculptor so must research his anatomy so probably knows what i am on about

Righty, one advantage of my still being too paranoid to bake him is that I\'ve been able to easily make the odd revision...

So, here he is again. I\'ve tweaked the eyes to a more realistic shape (still quite stylised but less so than before) and I\'ve straightened the sternocleidomastoids.

Hope these meet with approval.

Originally posted by SJB
    Hi Scott

Yes, the demon chick is still available. She\'s a ltd edition figure so I can\'t guarantee she\'ll be available in the long term but I don\'t think she\'ll sell out in the short term.

She\'s available straight from me and, as for US suppliers, she\'s available right here on coolmini in the store.
    Excellent! I will add it to my wish list immediately. Thanks!

Freak- Still a Nerd!

Originally posted by SJB
    Hope these meet with approval.

Yes they do.
    I like a good bust, no pun intended, and this is a very good size on which I\'d really like to work.
    Steve, ever thought of sculpting a face that scale with African characteristics? It\'d be a great challenge to a painter.

Blog Entries

I like your work a lot. I\'ve always found it clean and a joy to paint. I really like the face on this one, but I hate busts (lots of others like\'em though). They just always seemed unfinished to me. No knock on your skills though.

African characteristics? Yeah, could be interesting. Was very intrigued by JAG\'s new sculpt for Studio McVey. Not easy to get racial characteristics into a 35mm face without resorting to caricature or heavy stereotype. Obviously he pulled it off remarkably well...