What is your favorite size W & N Series 7?

Thread: What is your favorite size W & N Series 7?

Default What is your favorite size W & N Series 7?

I am going to DickBlick\'s to get some Winsor & Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable Pointed Rounds. After reading many threads and a few articles, it seems that most people paint with a 1, 0, and 00. Others use 2 and 000. I know that the brush size you use depends on what you are doing, but I am talking in general.

Do you agree that 1, 0, 00 are used for the majority of your miniature painting? I will also get a 2 and 000, should I get any others?

:innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
    [ Sorry if this has been covered over and over. I looked in the sticky. I looked in articles and saw Bobby Wong\'s article and paintpot\'s article on brushes. I also did a search and read quite a few of those threads. I also paged back through this section\'s threads and didn\'t find this covered in depth. ] :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

I\'ve got *checks* sizes 0, 00 and 000. That\'s funny, I thought I had 1, 0, 00. Oh well. They\'re very nice, but I\'ve hardly used the 000 so I guess the smaller brush doesn\'t fit with my painting style. I should probably look into getting a couple more of the sizes I do use, and maybe a size 1 too.

Before you rush out to spend your hard-earned though, take a moment to check out the Rosemary & co brushes. I\'ve not used them myself, but I have heard many, many people on here say they prefer them to the W&Ns, and they\'re cheaper too. I will be getting some the next time I\'m in the market for brushes.

I use mainly brushes in the 2 - 00 range. I have a 000, but hardly ever use it.

Thanks for the quick replies! :bouncy:

I do not see the Rosemary & Co brushes here:

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/watercolorbrushes/artistgrade/details/

It looks like they can only be ordered directly.

I buy my Rosemary & Co brushe directly. They are also sold by the CMON store.

i think i have a 1 and a 00. never really use the 00 as the 1 has a fine enough tip

If you can buy in a bricks&mortar store I\'d take that option over mail order until you\'re ready to try a different brand. A brush is such a personal little tool that you\'re going to spend many hours with, it\'s nice to get to pick the one you want from a jar (plus testing the point, etc.).

I usually use 2 & 1 & 0, the 00 only coming out for rare fine line work (how much fiddly freehand do you intend to do?). I\'ve found I should always try to use the brush one bigger than the one I instinctively reach for, I\'ve trapped myself too many times in the past fiddling about with far too small a brush, making progress horrificly slow (& I\'m no speed demon at the best of times!). :) B.

Originally posted by BPI
    If you can buy in a bricks&mortar store I\'d take that option over mail order until you\'re ready to try a different brand. A brush is such a personal little tool that you\'re going to spend many hours with, it\'s nice to get to pick the one you want from a jar (plus testing the point, etc.).
    That depends a bit on the quality consistency of the brand you\'re buying. I\'ve had more luck, quality wise, with Rosemary & Co brushes that I\'ve ordered online than with W&Ns7 brushes I\'ve tested and bought in my local art store.

Originally posted by BPI
    I usually use 2 & 1 & 0, the 00 only coming out for rare fine line work (how much fiddly freehand do you intend to do?). I\'ve found I should always try to use the brush one bigger than the one I instinctively reach for, I\'ve trapped myself too many times in the past fiddling about with far too small a brush, making progress horrificly slow (& I\'m no speed demon at the best of times!). :) B.
    I stink at painting minis, sadly. Not enough practice, but I am getting better. So maybe I will steer clear of the 000 and get a 3 for slopping on paint, lol.

I do paint mostly everything from eyes, freehand, etc. with a 2 (not the short one, long one), love the tip of it and in my eyes it is some kind of blade with whom you mostly can paint everything at all...

Sometime i use a 3, for chaotic weird painting...

Regards
    Roman

Thank you all very much for your replies. :beer:

I use 2, 1, 0, and 000. Of those, the 1 and the 0 get used most often.

That said, the W&N Series 7 brushes have become my \"travel\" brushes (ones that I take places and won\'t mind losing if it happens) rather than my main brushes since I seem to have trouble getting a good batch. I like the Da Vinci Maestros much better.

I use W&N S7 1 and 0 for most all applications. I have a 000, it\'s a bit tough to use because its reservoir just doesn\'t hold enough water to keep the paint life long.

I actually blunted the tip of one of my size 1 brushes (tiny snip snip) for base coats and it\'s really great for putting down good coverage in broad strokes.