Sukigod's All-In-One Painting Log
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sukigod's All-In-One Painting Log

Default Sukigod's All-In-One Painting Log

New Thread! Uberdark\'s threat to send me a zombie in the mail has persuaded me to combine my threads into one long thread so it\'s easier to find, or avoid:D. Now that I\'ve wrapped up almost all of the other projects (bikes/battlewagon/nobz) that had their own thread, I\'m starting anew with the objective markers project.

Last night I started work on some objective markers for the upcoming tournament. I need four, I might make a couple more while I\'m \"in the zone\".

Here\'s the first one - a bit of a redneck party theme. Beer, guns and \'heavy metal! Biker Barry for scale.

There will be some standard tropes - the \"hiddun - sekrit hatch\" with the usual escape hatch in the ground as it\'s simple and quick. Another will be nothing but guns and ammo, and another with a crashed cockpit of sorts (some of you looooong time geeks/nerds should recognize the source when you see it).

I\'m also looking at making a warp-y generator thing (like a Big Mek lost it somehow) and an orkish sentry gun thing. All very early thought/design stages right now - which means it\'s a box of bits I pulled, let\'s see how it all goes together!

Later!

Started two more markers this morning. The \"seekrut place\" is quick and dirty, most of the work will be foliage so won\'t be seen until it\'s nearly finished. The other is the base for the Bik Mek\'s Thingy. Those with vision imparement might recogize the base for the device. I\'ve had Lasik surgery a year ago and no longer need this. I\'ll be attaching wires and some other bitz and bobz to \"make it work\".

Later!

I\'m keeping this simple and added just some wires to make it electrical in nature,. I\'ll try painting a glowing effect later.

Here\'s the basis for the fourth marker. Should be pretty cool. (I\'m teasing for now)

Later!

Originally posted by Sukigod
    I\'m keeping this simple and added just some wires to make it electrical in nature,. I\'ll try painting a glowing effect later.

thats awesome.i still have some of those as well,ill borrow your idea if thats allright ^_^

im loving the weird second thingy. its defo orky. keep it up.

OK - haven't been posting much because I'm really busy in real life. Go figure. Here's the latest update though, a small one at that.

I went back over my upcoming tournament rules and they specifically mention bringing four 25mm based objectives, that means all the work I've done on these markers with 40mm bases are for naught in the short term. Here's my quick work on four 25mm objective markers.

I need to finish a bosspole and finish the details on the Painboy (Mad Doc Grotsnik) and my tournament army will be finished. Yay!

Later!
    Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    your my boogaboo. thanks suki.
    Bigshoota.com

Granite City Waaagh! Fest!
    The Big Mek Manual

bullets left and I'm comin' for ya!

Just a quick update, finished the last two pieces of my 1500 point puzzle and here it is in total.

I'm carrying it on a breakfast tray, it's all I could find at short notice. I don't have time to custom build one so it'll have to do.

Later!
    Bigshoota.com

The Big Mek Manual

Thumbs up

Congratulations on completing the army Sukigod, lookin' good. As a super-slow character painter you army painting guys just blow we away. Cheers, B.

OK, I know this "update" will suck because I have no pics but I wanted to at least let everyone know I'm still here and will be starting up all new projects soon. I also wanted to share how the tournament went and what I learned (and boy did I learn a lot!)

On the upside, I took Best Painted Army, enough cash to pick up another battlewagon. Yay!

The downside is I learned a lesson the hard way that I play too safe with my boyz. The tournament was a little different than most I've attended. The biggest difference was four matches at 1.5 hours each. Not much time but it made sense within the theme of the tourny. Each match was scored on Win, Tie, or Lose with a few extra points available for misc things. Here's how things went and then I'll fill you in on what I did wrong.

Match 1: vs. Biker Ork Army
    Outcome: Loss by me

Match 2: vs. fish'ead

Match 3: vs. Drop Pod beakies

Match 4: vs. fish'ead

Sad really. My opponents and I talked after each match and three out of four said "If it had gone one more round, you would have easily taken the entire game." The only one I didn't have a chance was the first fish'ead player who frankly outmaneuvered me after I made a few bad deployment decisions and I totally earned that beating.

My mistake was playing like the game was going to go four or five turns, holding back to make the "grab" in the last round to take objectives which each mission was based on. The problem was we never played a fourth, much less fifth turn because of the time constraint. Not complaining. Each table had the same time issues and dealt with it, I apparently just didn't take notice and played slower instead of ramping up and trying to win the game in three turns.

Which brings me to a piece of wisdom brought to be three days later by Bell of Lost Souls (I love irony). Practice with your army not only as to how it plays against other armies, but practice to finish or win within the time limit set in the tournament. I know, genius and readily apparent in hindsight.

Not all was bad though. Even though I finished absolutely last tactically, I earned enough point from the painting that it ended up placing me squarely in the middle of the pack. And just because I'm like that, I averaged out the points if we had one more round and I had indeed taken those games? Would have been first or second overall. Oh well. That's why there's always a next time.

BTW: The tournament was held at Tower Games in St. Paul, MN and was one of the nicest gaming experiences I'v ehad in my gaming career. Friendly people, very accommodating store, most armies were painted up full, I will be attempting to attend every tourny they throw. Great jobs Adeptus Minneapolis and Tower Games!

Other news, I'm starting to put together the next iteration of Red Jacks Waaagh! by adding BURNAS!!! My new favorite units. Used them spectacularly in a battlewagon last night against Grey Knight termies and smoked'em. WHoohoo! I'll start painting them up this week and start work on Zagstruk as well as I'm liking the way he's worked for me the last few friendly games.

Pictures next time, I promise!

Later!
    Bigshoota.com

The Big Mek Manual

Wheres the boombox from? its really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by diddy lemon1 View Post
    Wheres the boombox from? its really cool!
    I got it with a box of bitz I bought from a military modeler a while back. It's a resin piece, most likely Verlinden.
    Bigshoota.com

The Big Mek Manual

very nice looking army there Sukigod, not a fan of 40K but would have to be orks if every did play.
    (saying that Dwarf is my WFB army)

Thanks exilesjjb, appreciate hearing (reading?) that!

OK, I promised you photos this time.

These aren't really up to par but done under duress of timeline to use in a tournament. I'm happy with how they look for the time I put into them. I'm thinking i'll redo Mad Doc Grotsnik sometime in the future as well.

My Nobz Mob on foot (I know one isn't based - whoops!)

25mm Objective Markers

Mad Doc Grotnsik (used counts as Painboy)

Now I start my slow progression of adding new units as I change up my playstyle and experiment with different things. Burnas and Zagstruk are definitely on my list next. Then maybe back to Gazzy - who knows?

Til next time...

Later!
    Bigshoota.com

The Big Mek Manual

Yanno, I've always loved the gorka morka nobz, but he just down't look right thrown in there without pants.

The culmination of 10 months of work (they're never quick with me are they?!) Heavily modified and magnetized version of the stock GW Ork Battlewagon. I wasn't happy with the overall scale of it so took matters into my own hands. The vehicle has been "biggified" (is that one or two "g"'s?), widened by about and inch and lengthened around two inches. This original size/mod is based on DocNuk's version on The Waaagh! forums. Much Kudos to DocNuk. The rest is all mine with input/comments/critiques from various forums.

You can see the full WIP blog here...

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=38291

The front end had been reconstructed along with a custom built re-enforced ram to match the image in the Ork codex. The kannon (which is magnetized along with the zappa) has been moved to the front left of the crew cabin. The 'ard case has been modified to fit the new size and a boarding plank added on the passenger side. A modified mounting plate for a modified turret to house the double-barreled Kill Kannon was made as well.

A long journey I don't think I'll be taking again any time soon, one a year is a enough for me!

Please vote if you can at Cool Mini Or Not!
    http://coolminiornot.com/237412

Enough babbling, on to the pictures....

Thanks for stopping by!

Sukigod
    Bigshoota.com

The Big Mek Manual

Quite simply WOW!
    Gotta admit I've been a lurker for long time and I've really, really enjoyed seeing all the work you've posted. I think you and uberdark are quite simply the best Warboss's on cmon.
    Thanks for the inspiration
    the future
    That's middle of the road baby, middle of the road...

Back on the squig again.

After a few weeks off from 40K for real life (tons of work, etc) I finally got time in with my favorite xenos rabble. The newest unit to my stable will be a mob of burnas (weeeee -wooosh!). I've got four of the new models made from regular boyz and bitz I won in an auction so I don't have the heads from the box. I've also got six of the original 2nd/3rd Ed models in metal. Frankly, these are some of the best models made in those editions and I prefer these over the new ones any day. I'm also waiting out to add 2-4 four more of the Kommando Burna variety as soon as I can find/afford some as they're pretty sweet as well.

Anyway - on to the pics. A couple of knuckleheads (the four made from misc parts).

And the skin on the rest of the parts. I'm doing these in small batches to keep myself from going stir crazy.

This is part of a revamp of my tournament army, swapping out the lootas for burnas, adding the deff rolla to the battlewagon (the original one) and adding a trukk boyz mob and a large mob of Vulcha Boyz with Zagstruk. He's my new favorite model of the month now as I've successfully deepstruck with him everytime I've used him. Works for me!

Later!
    Bigshoota.com

The Big Mek Manual

Back on the squig again.

After a few weeks off from 40K for real life (tons of work, etc) I finally got time in with my favorite xenos rabble. The newest unit to my stable will be a mob of burnas (weeeee -wooosh!). I've got four of the new models made from regular boyz and bitz I won in an auction so I don't have the heads from the box. I've also got six of the original 2nd/3rd Ed models in metal. Frankly, these are some of the best models made in those editions and I prefer these over the new ones any day. I'm also waiting out to add 2-4 four more of the Kommando Burna variety as soon as I can find/afford some as they're pretty sweet as well.

Anyway - on to the pics. A couple of knuckleheads (the four made from misc parts).

And the skin on the rest of the parts. I'm doing these in small batches to keep myself from going stir crazy.

This is part of a revamp of my tournament army, swapping out the lootas for burnas, adding the deff rolla to the battlewagon (the original one) and adding a trukk boyz mob and a large mob of Vulcha Boyz with Zagstruk. He's my new favorite model of the month now as I've successfully deepstruck with him everytime I've used him. Works for me!

Later!
    Bigshoota.com

The Big Mek Manual

Great stuff all around, love your skin tones and the battlewagon rocks. Can't wait to see what you do with those metal burna boyz they are some nice minis.

Very nice army and really good battlewagon.