Games Workshop Group Historical Stock Chart
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games Workshop Group Historical Stock Chart

Default Games Workshop Group Historical Stock Chart

What did GW stop doing 4 years ago?

Originally posted by Tercha
    What did GW stop doing 4 years ago?
    More accurate to ask what Block busting movies run ended 4 years ago.

you think that LOTR carried the entire buisnis in 2005?

I\'d be interested in seeing the numbers over a longer period, actually.

2005 is about the time i stopped buying GW minis....ive recently started again...i see a pattern here..

Originally posted by aapjeBOB0
    you think that LOTR carried the entire buisnis in 2005?
    They were in a huge bubble built upon the LOTR films, when the films ended the bubble burst (and they hadn\'t planned on that happening which is why these things are known as bubbles)
    That is why their is a huge dip, it realy did hurt them that badly (and they were better off in the long run for it as before the bubble burst they were wasting money left right and centre)

You could also ask yourself, what did GW start doing 4 years ago?
    Announcer style: \"PRICE RAISE!!!!\"

Originally posted by Amazon warrior
    I\'d be interested in seeing the numbers over a longer period, actually.
    Here\'s the longest price chart I could find. Sorry for the dinky size, but should work well enough. I\'m thinking the stock only came into existence in 2001? Or at least, only available to my broker at that point.

I think it could be the cancellation of their Bitz mailorder service.

(at least, that\'s my reason for dropping all new GW mini purchases....)

Thanks for that Pegazus. You can certainly see the big peak around when the LOTR films were running. According to Wiki, the company was floated on the stock market in 1994, so maybe your broker is missing some info?

How have all the game companies ben doing for the last little bit? It might be a universal trend in our hobby.

I\'m betting 4 years ago, or so, we saw World of Warcraft come and kick the head in of all other gaming things? Maybe?

Around 2000ish GW stocks were in the toilet so badly they were in danger of buyout. Before then they\'d been half decent.

At the time they\'d been targeting VERY young kids and it worked int he short term before they all got obsessed with Pokemon and GW plumetted.

Then, announcement of LotR license and the stocks got much healthier up until the end of 2005 when the LotR films had their last hurrah (RotK extended DVD). Then LotR sales dropped off and shares started going down again.

I think right now, the share price isn\'t too good but GW are a bit more solid at their core. They just need to avoid extreme price silliness like the Greatswords.

And, indeed, Warcrack hasn\'t exactly helped them either. But the LotR bubble was the major thing...

Thanks for that Pegazus. You can certainly see the big peak around when the LOTR films were running. According to Wiki, the company was floated on the stock market in 1994, so maybe your broker is missing some info?
    You\'re welcome. What maybe happened was a change of the stock ticker, or maybe the online broker only had access to overseas stocks starting in 2001. Could be a lot of things.

Yahoo UK only has their stock info from the first of this year. According to Wikipedia\'s history, they had GAW as their ticker as of 15 Dec 2002. It\'s now GAW.L. Who knows what it was back in 1994.

Originally posted by PegaZus
    You\'re welcome. What maybe happened was a change of the stock ticker, or maybe the online broker only had access to overseas stocks starting in 2001. Could be a lot of things.

Yahoo UK only has their stock info from the first of this year. According to Wikipedia\'s history, they had GAW as their ticker as of 15 Dec 2002. It\'s now GAW.L. Who knows what it was back in 1994.
    True. I\'ll admit that the world of high finance is a murky unknown to me!

I think LoTR is certainly a factor.

What is more concerning is the fact GW failed to capitalise on the influx of new faces \'in store\' during the LoTR craze and the figures would suggest these people have largely drifted away.

I suppose you have to look at the cost of something like WoW against the increasingly hideous cost of GW figures (£50 for 5 blood knights is hardly going to appeal to your average school kid).

It\'s an increasingly expensive hobby in a shrinking market. WAR online doesn\'t seem to have done as much for their overall profitability as predicted (I was on BETA for 4 months and I\'m ashamed to say I stopped even logging on due to dissapointment). One can only hope that 40K online will be a better product (lets hope THQ do it justice, I\'m sure they will!)

The hard core remain, and I guess we always will, but GW need to attract new faces, and I\'m struggling to understand how they can do that with current prices.

Blog Entries

I actually think it\'s the opposite: the local stores around here are always swarmed with lots of young kids/teens with unpainted armies and the veterans are nowhere to be found.

In my opinion they have raised prices to the point where young kids can afford to play, but not paint their minis. Laziness aside, the cost of paints and brushes is way too high right now for people on a budget. I\'d wager that you need at least $150 to buy paint, brushes and primer to start painting your first army, and when the store doesn\'t require painted minis any more to play there\'s no reason for kids who are low on funds to pay for this.

Playing against a bunch of kids with unpainted armies has alienated a lot of us older vets, who now pretty much sit around playing games with our old armies and rarely buy much from the stores anymore, except for the occasional paint supply run or to add a new unit/character once in a while.

I\'m no marketing or financial expert, but I think they need to simultaneously find a way to reinvigorate the disgruntled veterans and make it easier for the misled youth to step up and become fully functional hobbyists.

I say drop the prices on paint supplies, since they are being undercut quite a bit by both Vallejo and P3. I do prefer Citadel over Vallejo, but I do kind of begrudge them for the $4.50 per 12mL bottle. Seriously, I pay $3.00 for 18mL of P3 which I find is easier to use. Something\'s not right here.

Dropping the prices on minis wouldn\'t hurt them either, since right now it\'s just too expensive to start a new army on a whim. My largest current Fantasy army started as a bunch of one-off painting projects, back when units were cheap enough that I could afford to buy them just to paint. Eventually I fleshed out a proper army and have been revamping and updating them ever since. Ironically it\'s an army that GW hasn\'t supported with proper rules or new miniatures since about 1998. One or two new units in 11 years does not constitute proper support :P Yes I\'m talking about my beloved Dogs of War :D

Anyway I still love the hobby dearly, and I would be deeply saddened to see the company get into trouble and have lots of good people lose their dream jobs. There was a time when veteran gamers still poured tons of money into new armies, and with the lower standards for gaming and the disappearance of the bitz order system for making your converted characters and/or painting contest entries I think they did some serious damage to their credibility. Customer loyalty seems to be extremely low right now, and I don\'t know how long they can afford it.

Originally posted by Jericho
    I actually think it\'s the opposite: the local stores around here are always swarmed with lots of young kids/teens with unpainted armies and the veterans are nowhere to be found.

Playing against a bunch of kids with unpainted armies has alienated a lot of us older vets, who now pretty much sit around playing games with our old armies and rarely buy much from the stores anymore, except for the occasional paint supply run or to add a new unit/character once in a while.

Anyway I still love the hobby dearly, and I would be deeply saddened to see the company get into trouble and have lots of good people lose their dream jobs. There was a time when veteran gamers still poured tons of money into new armies, and with the lower standards for gaming and the disappearance of the bitz order system for making your converted characters and/or painting contest entries I think they did some serious damage to their credibility. Customer loyalty seems to be extremely low right now, and I don\'t know how long they can afford it.
    They seem to have lost the plot when it comes to customer retention. I don\'t use my local GW store anymore, I get better informed and friendlier service at a local gaming store which opened up a few years ago just yards from the GW store. The idea had been around for a while but when the GW store manager alienated all the vets - the people with money to spend on the hobby - it kicked off a successful rival, who just happen to sell GW models cheaper than the GW store as well as a ton of other stuff as a result of which I\'ve got loads of different manufacturers minis now and I discovered CMON :D

I always finds these discussions a bit odd.

Does one check the stock prices before buying a GW model?

I\'m not opposed to the discussion at all, quite the opposite, but it just seems a weird topic.

What do hobbyists hope to gain/know from the historic stock prices of a gaming company?

Originally posted by supervike
    I always finds these discussions a bit odd.

Does one check the stock prices before buying a GW model?

I\'m not opposed to the discussion at all, quite the opposite, but it just seems a weird topic.

What do hobbyists hope to gain/know from the historic stock prices of a gaming company?
    When GW stock prices drop, they have been known to change their business strategy. Their stock took a huge dump in the late 90\'s, and you can tell precisely when 3rd edition was released. With their stock again at a low, we nerds can make the reasonable assumption that they are going to do something new, and that always fuels debate.