Need help picking colours.

Thread: Need help picking colours.

Default Need help picking colours.

Hi all.

So I have decided to start with som warhammer: wood elves as my new painting project where I will experiment with wet blending since its a technique I really want to learn.

The colour scheme will be like the sylvan faction from the heroes of might and magic tribes of the east game for anyone that have played it.
    http://www.maps4heroes.com/heroes5/t...grades_eng.php

So, lots of blues and lots of greens.

I have only used GW paints before and I'm really tired of them. I know both reaper and vallejo are good colours but what brand and what paints should I get to achieve the effect I want.
    Also, does any manufacturer make a good drying retarder?

You mean you are bored and want to shop for more colours? If so, either of what you suggest would be fine, as would your GW paints.

As for retarder, try liquitex and remember a little goes a long way

shaz

looking at those photos it looks like ice blue would be a must or the reaper equivalent

Sorry for not being more clear. What I meant is that I'm going to change from my old gw colours since I just dont like them anymore. Since I dont have tried any of the above mentioned brand I'm not shure what the colours names are.
    So I need about 4-5 greens and 3-4 blues to make the clothing. The blue equivalent would be in the gw universe Hawk turqouse and Ice blue, but I want some more depth so I need atleast one or two more. I dont know about the greens since I really hate the gw greens, but then again, I'm aiminig for alot of depth and the option to paint two different contrasts.
    Then are the brown, 3 colours to make some good leather, and also some good flesh colours.
    Last edited by Kokaka; 10-28-2009 at 07:32 PM.

I really like GW's Scaly Green as a darkner for Hawk Turquoise. In my Wip thread the Pestigors have that on their head-dresses, highlighted up to bleached bone but I would imagine you could bring it up with Ice Blue through Space Wolf Grey or Skull White. If there is an effect you're trying to achieve that eludes you I'd suggest posting a pic of your work so far, the advice may well be to buy a colour from another range but there may be some input as to technique that will help you achieve what you want without further expense? From the pics you linked to a touch of purple shading too. Similar for the leather & flesh, I mean you're talking about buying greens, blues, purples, oranges (for shade), browns, reds, greys & flesh tones, it's a lot of money to spend if you're simply frustrated with the results you're currently achieving. Cheers, B.

gw scaly green is easily my top fav color, you can shade almost everything with it!

sorry cant see the reference pic, access denied at work but at least you get one extra point for using heroes color scheme, love that game. heroes3!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaka View Post
    What I meant is that I'm going to change from my old gw colours since I just dont like them anymore.
    So I need about 4-5 greens and 3-4 blues to make the clothing.
    Then are the brown, 3 colours to make some good leather, and also some good flesh colours.
    Ok Easiest way to start is to look at the Vallejo Website. Their Model Colour range is more exensive than GW's 220 colours.....But here's a Caveat trying to balance the colours from the colour chart is extremely difficult as Monitors and Paper versions vary tremendously from the reality.

As a start I'd suggest initially going for the Olive Greens but don't forget to add in a couple of other colours, Specifically IVORY and BURNT UMBER as these two colours are the most used in the collcetion I've ended up with.

Browns well there are a good few to consider. German Camoflage Black Brown, German Camoflage Medium Brown, German Camoflage Pale Brown, Chocolate Brown, Flat Earth, Flat Brown, Leather Brown & Mahogony Brown. All these are great colours to use and have enough colour variance to make the Earthy look for an Elf seem 'realistic'.

As for blues well again its a large selection there are two (or three) Turquiose colours to look at and think about.

Flesh tones...well I've gropwn dislike manufacturers basic flesh colours and use VMC Brown Sand with Ivory Highlights to make flesh work for me.

Oh and while you may be tired of the limited range of GW don't ditch them out as I still use them to compliment colours Snakebite leather is still great for washes and toning.

Hope that helps.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.