Registered snipers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registered snipers

Blog Entries

Default Registered snipers

I don't write much but the recent registered scoring has got my back up... look at this;

http://www.coolminiornot.com/235626

registered score 5.5

and this;

http://www.coolminiornot.com/235616

registered score 4.3

I hope the system will sort this out but it really makes you wanna think what sad people there are on cmon, don't get me wrong, i know the majority here are bona fide fanatics, but some just need a good kick in the gonads...

Only two votes when there was a registered score of 5.5. That means that either we've got a sniper among us... or that the user rated his own picture really low.

I'm not sure what you are seeing, but on the first one I see a registered average of 8.4, and the second 6.3

shaz

Quote Originally Posted by dennis. View Post
    I don't write much
    much? It's your first post!!! (WELCOME, BTW!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by dennis. View Post
    but the recent registered scoring has got my back up.....
    lets make a judgement after the pieces have got to 50+ votes

it's simply too early and I think Avelorn summed it up well

Yes, I saw this two on multiple different miniuature. One of the possibilities though, especially if you only have only two "registered" low scores, is that one of them is an initial self-voting. I am pretty sure that authors of both miniatures you pointed out are registered users

Quote Originally Posted by Fizl View Post
    I'm not sure what you are seeing, but on the first one I see a registered average of 8.4, and the second 6.3

shaz
    I see the same, but seriously though, don't you find that 6.3 for this mini is somewhat low

both of them are over 8 and at 45 or more votes (when I posted this) and that seems right on for both posts. At this point there isn't any difference of any real sort between registered and unregistered so not any real point there but on some minis I have seen with a difference I would simply put it to a more critical eye amongst registered voters and a bit more of the fanboy effect in non-registered votes (just my guess so whatever).

Main point that has been made over and over till ya hit 50 votes the score don't mean

Why do you cry when the models don't even have 50 votes yet. And don't go blaming 'snipers' if something you paint isn't worthy of what you think it should be, I don't get all agitated when my pictures don't get 9 and 10s.

Anytime you place items for other peoples critique, expect to be a target.
    Some will be accurate and some will be way off.
    So, no disrespect, but you asked for it by asking people to score your mini.
    By the way, to me they are 9's.
    Last edited by DXM; 10-30-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    Why do you cry when the models don't even have 50 votes yet. And don't go blaming 'snipers' if something you paint isn't worthy of what you think it should be, I don't get all agitated when my pictures don't get 9 and 10s.
    You also don't pay attention - none of the miniatures in question was painted by the original poster .

Photos of the first model are garbage. I'd vote it down a mark for that, so a 7 for me.

It irks me that people spend so much time painting fantastic models and then submit dire photos. It's not as if you need an expensive camera or a massive amount of skill. Techniques are well documented here too!

Anyway, sniping is pretty irrelevant. Figs almost always reach a level they deserve after 50 votes and stray snipes seem to get weeded out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemunkie View Post
    Photos of the first model are garbage. I'd vote it down a mark for that, so a 7 for me.

It irks me that people spend so much time painting fantastic models and then submit dire photos. It's not as if you need an expensive camera or a massive amount of skill. Techniques are well documented here too!
    shit man, don't look at mine then, it'll send you into a frenzy. i think the problem with photography is that a lot of us just see it as a means to an end. also, it does take skill (not necessarily a lot but it takes time, that some people don't have) and a half decent set up to take decent photos.

how do you think they could be improved btw? i would say they are too dark but apart from that, ok
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Yeah looks like someone jumping the gun a whole lot to early! With the number of votes that it had recieved when this was posted you are basically coming in here bitching about 1 or 2 people in a community of thousands.

Score complaints? Are we drinking yet?

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    i would say they are too dark but apart from that, ok
    Yep, underexposed. It's such an easy fix - it could probably even have been done in Photoshop as they aint too far gone. I just don't see why you would upload images of that paucity for a figure of that standard. If photos are a means to an end, surely the 'end' is that you want people to see the paint work as clearly and close to reality as possible so they can make a realistic assessment and give you feedback?

You can take decent photos of minis with a cheap p&s and onboard flash if you do it right. I used to just photograph mine outside in daylight on a piece of white paper and the pics came out ok!

Quote Originally Posted by darthfoley View Post
    Score complaints? Are we drinking yet?
    Was this supposed to be the Friday night drinking thread? Nearly missed it!
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by PegaZus View Post
    Was this supposed to be the Friday night drinking thread? Nearly missed it!
    Dang! Me, too!

I think the point that Dennis is bringing up is not the overall score, but that for a minute it looks like their was a registered sniping. I think we can agree that those mini's are desrving of more than the 4.3 or 5.5 respectively. Could the user have goofed? Sure, but the default is a 6, right? So they both would have had to be pretty clumsy, the kind of clumsy that prob can't put that kind of paint on those mini's to have really nerfed their score up. It's not really a score complaining thread in the traditional sense as neither of these figs are done by Dennis, and the final scores are quite a bit better.

From the sounds of it though a registered user has decided to shoot from the rooftops at some mini's. That's the dissapointing part, I think.

But nice jobs on those figs anyway! I liked them!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemunkie View Post

You can take decent photos of minis with a cheap p&s and onboard flash if you do it right. I used to just photograph mine outside in daylight on a piece of white paper and the pics came out ok!
    aye but bear in mind that you a talented git though!! (must buy new camera...)

ot:
    my mouse will occasionally shoot across the page and i have clicked on lower scores than i have meant too before. it's bloody annoying, especially when playing fps's or something like counterstrike
    Last edited by freakinacage; 10-31-2009 at 07:20 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

@Spacemunkie

Don't ever look at my pics then, I pride myself on taking the shittiest photos possible.
    :P