Rhainie the Rogue

Thread: Rhainie the Rogue

Default Rhainie the Rogue

I hope this qualifies as a "better" mini than some of my last stuff.

I enjoyed painting her. She is a piece I wanted to do for myself. I'm very happy with the way she turned out.

Now back to tabletop stuff!

http://coolminiornot.com/236516

Attached Images Attached Images  

i thought the last stuff was fine. this is very nice. dont let 'em get you down. on this site a blobby space marine out scores a fine piece of work on a mini from nearly any other manufacturer. i, for one, am a fan of rpg minis. i also dont think there is anything wrong with tt minis - just because you didnt slave over it doesnt mean its not interesting to others. keep up the good work, and i look forward to seeing more of your "table top" minis.

I think that's some very nice paint! Well done!

The blues look great! Whats your recipe?

well she's certainly better! still not a massive fan of the sculpt but i am not a massive klocke fan (chestnut shaped heads) nice paint job, glad to see you are still doing stuff for yourself

the metal feels a little too blue for my liking but having said that it does work well with the rest of the miniature. then again, i am colour blind so what do i know?!!

i lie the sheen on the top of the the boot/kneepad things..

got a top down view of the base? it seems like you have spent some time on it and you ain't showing it off?!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I like this very much! Only thing that might be worth mentioning on the negative side is that the overall metal and the cloth on her arms are almost identical. Ignore me if that's just the camera but I believe that the cloth maybe should have been a tad lighter. It still looks awesome though!
    Last edited by Chrome; 11-10-2009 at 06:08 AM. Reason: grammar... *sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

It shows you've put more effort into this one. I am not a fan of the actual mini, but it is better than those you posted last time. The design is too much cheesy fantasy novel book cover for my liking. The paintjob certainly emphasises that, but on the other hand suits the mini for just the same reason. It is well done, though, and that's the important thing.

The face is very good and the upper parts of the hair. I do think you could shade the lower parts of the hair more to give it more shape. Overall I think you can take the shading further. I like the peachy pink colour of the coat, but, as mentioned, I think it needs deeper shadows. With different surrounding colours I think you could use this pink and still avoid the "cheesy" look.

The blue steel doesn't really work for me. It is much too blue and lack shading. Thus, it doesn't look like metal. It seems you've used the blue for shadows, but the shadows should be quite unsaturated (and darker), not the most saturated parts of the steel. The blue should be more of a midtone, inbetween the dark shadows and the bright highlights.

As a side note, why is she standing on a tiny patch of sand in the middle of water?
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

You did good job with this mini. The face is well done too. I don't really like the sword even if you well painted it, as Ritual said, it doesn't look like metal.

Good work on a ropey miniature. A good 7 or so from me. The face is very well painted.

For my part I like the face, but the colour scheme.....I regret to say I find this to "pretty" and Girly Pastel for my taste.
    However as you say this is for YOU and not for a sale.
    As long as you enjoyed painting it and you are happy with the result it doesn't really matter what we think.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I love the face, the skin tones are really well done but have to agree with others the dress doesn't siut her at all.

I am not that keen on the base, the water has sagged so is high on the edges and could do with leveling off.

What is the knee pad/armour supposed to be made of is it leather or metal?
    "Just goes to show - arseholes leave a bigger impression on our lives then nice people" - by Markus Tay

Wales is not part of England Welshmen Born and Bred

Brushlicker and proud of it. Its the only way to paint

that flesh is jaw dropping keep up the good work I have like all your resent stuff, hope the others sold well.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzed View Post
    The blues look great! Whats your recipe?

It's really really difficult actually. A very complex formula that you have to slave over for hours and hours to get right.

You ready for it?

Here it is . . .

Hawk Turquoise and Pure white

That's it. I swear it. No other colors go into it.

As for the water, if any one has a fix for that please share. I've gotten this criticism that the sides are too high but I can't fix it. I've tried leveling it off and it doesn't do any good. It always sinks inward. And I've followed water tutorials posted on several sites. I do everything exactly as explained but resin leaks then when I recast it it sinks inward, I never get the desired result but this is the only resin that hasn't yellowed on me and it's the brand everyone swears by--envirotex lite.

Ritual--who said the sword was supposed to be blue steel? couldn't it be some other shiny material? It is fantasy after all

As for her placement in water, she's toward the back of the base so this gives a snippet of a view of where she could be. She's not actually in the center of the block. She's toward a corner. I saw her as being on a beach, entering into the water maybe to get a chest, a bauble, or dinner.

I had a very limited amount of time to paint her but needed to do something for me. I could have spent another week on her if I didn't have to worry about painting for money right now.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldarchy View Post
    Ritual--who said the sword was supposed to be blue steel? couldn't it be some other shiny material? It is fantasy after all
    Fair enough! But, it is not the colour as such that bothers me (although, for steel, I think it's too blue). It is the lack of shadow and that the colour saturation increases where shadows are "supposed" to be. Shadow reduces saturation.

I think this is really good, especially the face.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldarchy View Post

As for the water, if any one has a fix for that please share. I've gotten this criticism that the sides are too high but I can't fix it. I've tried leveling it off and it doesn't do any good. It always sinks inward. And I've followed water tutorials posted on several sites. I do everything exactly as explained but resin leaks then when I recast it it sinks inward, I never get the desired result but this is the only resin that hasn't yellowed on me and it's the brand everyone swears by--envirotex lite.
    you should be able to file it down. get it roughly level then use increasingly fine sandpaper to buff it. you should be able to get it glossy
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    you should be able to file it down. get it roughly level then use increasingly fine sandpaper to buff it. you should be able to get it glossy
    A layer of gloss varnish afterwards might also be a good idea.

Don't bother filing it, try a layer of two part epoxy glue as the top coat, its thick enough not to sink and should level out the meniscus that forms when casting in a former. Try it out first to be sure it dries clear, most do but some have a brownish/yellowish colouration when set.

Basically, when you cast in a former, the surface skin will always go upwards at the edge, but when you cast it on a flat surface without a former, they will go downwards.

A few things about Envirotex lite.

make 2 pours..first pouris about 90% of your total fill.. allow to completely dry and then add a second thin film coat to even out that meniscus issue.

DON'T Sand..you will never get it clear again with out a clear coat. if you must sand it for some reason a clear coat of Future floor polish will bring back most of the transparency.A seconc thin coat of Envirotex might bring back the clearness to but kind of hard to apply.

deeeeep in woods in gulf coastal mississippi usa
    Blog Entries

i like this sculpt thank you. yes, mr. werner has a funny idea of head shapes. owell. i really like this rendition. it does look like she matched he wardrobe to the "blade of the day" though. and envirotex needs to be done in multiple pours, even small batches like your base here. (i'd rather see fantasy minis than the legions of space marines anyway. those all look the same after a while...)