Insomnia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Insomnia

  1. #1

    Default Insomnia

    I got it. I hate it. I thought I'd share with any who want to commiserate.

  2. #2

    Default

    Tried the 'friend by the bed with a huge bat' approach?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    Tried the 'friend by the bed with a huge bat' approach?
    Yeah, I have dogs...

  4. #4

    Default

    Darn... Then again, dogs have always been great at keeping me awake, not the other way around...
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

  5. #5

    Default

    I often have trouble sleeping as well. I usually go up and try to do some painting, until I feel sleepy.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

  6. #6
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,279
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evil tendencies View Post
    I got it. I hate it. I thought I'd share with any who want to commiserate.
    Yep I have bursts of insomnia as well. Learned to use the time to my advantage. Good book, Internet surfing, (Wikipedia tracking can be very educational.) sitting sketching, whatever. Early morning Dog walking can be very educational as well.
    Couldn't paint as that would wake Fran and since she sleeps so badly these days she needs every hour she can get. Another side effect of chemotheraphy they don't advertise.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Couldn't paint as that would wake Fran...
    Are you a loud painter?
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

  8. #8
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,279
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    Are you a loud painter?
    Not only am I a brishlicker but I rattle the brush in the water jar.
    But I do have a tendancy to swear like a Liverpool Docker if I get something "wrong". My dog used to be able to recognise the "F" word and used to get kinda worried in case she was in trouble.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  9. #9

    Default

    I get vivid mental images of Mike at his painting desk, swearing and cursing with paint smeared on his lips and the dog cowering behind a sofa.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    I get vivid mental images of Mike at his painting desk, swearing and cursing with paint smeared on his lips and the dog cowering behind a sofa.

    I love it when Mike swears... its not just the word its the whole expression :P

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alextheartist View Post
    I love it when Mike swears... its not just the word its the whole expression :P
    aye paul (his bootie friend) is quite good as colourful turns of phrases too. also chris clayton told me that when the cape for his inquisitor broke off (i think that was the situation anyway) he swore for a full minute without repeating himself. i would pay to see that!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    also chris clayton told me that when the cape for his inquisitor broke off (i think that was the situation anyway) he swore for a full minute without repeating himself. i would pay to see that!
    Yeah, that was the day before Euromilitaire... I'd also be interested in seeing Chris swear for a full minute. He seems such a calm and patient person.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    Yeah, that was the day before Euromilitaire... I'd also be interested in seeing Chris swear for a full minute. He seems such a calm and patient person.
    Thats what I thought too :P

  14. #14

    Default

    For the insomnia try doing physical exercise, or get some melatonin, should be able to get that in the US easily.

  15. #15

    Default

    Yeah, I go through bouts of insomnia myself, so I can empathize. One of the (many) benefits of being single is that I can get up in the middle of the night and paint, or watch a show on the computer or whatever. Even when my daughter is here I don't have to worry about it; she sleeps like a damn log.

  16. #16

    Default

    Commiserations! It sucks not being able to sleep, or to stay asleep.

    Which tricks or techniques have you tried?

    Einion

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    I often have trouble sleeping as well. I usually go up and try to do some painting, until I feel sleepy.

    Lucky you... My version of insomnia is rather annoying - it is rather strange state between wakefulness and sleep. I cannot paint and cannot read because I cannot focus on small objects. However... this is what Worlds of Warcraft for. 30-40 minutes of mining usually knock me out for good. . For those who don't know - mining is rather repetitive timesink that requires no focus whatsoever.
    Physical activity as Trevor suggested doesn't work for me - the result is opposite - it fully wakes me up, which is better, I suppose, than being half asleep.
    Last edited by skeeve; 11-11-2009 at 07:33 AM.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skeeve View Post
    Physical activity as Trevor suggested doesn't work for me - the result is opposite - it fully wakes me up, which is better, I suppose, than being half asleep.
    I don't think the point is to do physical activity when you can't sleep, but to do it regularly during the week, perhaps 2-4 times per week. That can help preventing insomnia.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

  19. #19
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,279
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alextheartist View Post
    I love it when Mike swears... its not just the word its the whole expression :P
    Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    aye paul (his bootie friend) is quite good as colourful turns of phrases too.
    @Alex: No good swearing if you can't put some REAL power behind it.

    @Freak: Paul can really fire off a serious broadside when he wants.
    However when he goes exceptionally polite, be afraid, as a couple of Chavs trying to be "A*sy" found out.
    I've learned that if he starts that track:
    A: Move 3 feet to his right and 2 feet behind
    B: Remove and secure my Glasses. (*)
    C: Be ready to "Go Weapons Hot".
    D: Make sure the First Aid Kit is handy.


    (* I'm not worried that Paul can't handle himself in a 'situation', I'm just terrified of what his missus would do if I didn't back him up. I'd far rather take some lumps from a couple of Chavs than face her Wrath.)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  20. #20

    Default

    Cherry Juice, and Art Bell, especially if they are talking about something interesting. those seem to work for me.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->