Companies who cast in resin?

Thread: Companies who cast in resin?

Default Companies who cast in resin?

Well, it's not going to be for a while, but I've been taken with the idea (for quite a while now really) of creating a (very) small mini company up and running, and producing really high quality resin models.

I've tentatively started to google around and see what comes up, and whilst there seem to be an awful lot of (seemingly) good casters of metals/pewters, resin seems to be a little bit harder to find, so I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who might recommend folk to me?

The way I'm currently looking at the business model, I really don't want to compromise - we're not talking about a huge line of figures here (it's not something that will make me vast amounts of money, let's face it), and if I can't get a similar quality of casts as - say - the Studio Mcvey lines, then it's not worth my while.

So, if anyone has any experience in this, I'd be more than happy to entertain them!

Thanks all

i'd drop sally a line over at hasslefree. the resins that i have had from them are the best i have ever had. very little mould lines and a more flexible resin that isn't too brittle
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Grey matter casting, they do hasslefrees, mine and many others.

seriously top quality (i'm still trying to find the contact details again as they went missing along with the contents of my hard drive)

Quote Originally Posted by generulpoleaxe View Post
    Grey matter casting, they do hasslefrees, mine and many others.

seriously top quality (i'm still trying to find the contact details again as they went missing along with the contents of my hard drive)
    Is it these chaps?

http://www.greymatterfigures.com/

Well when your ask for information like this you should state where your located. Does neither of us any good if I give you info for a caster to find out your 5000 mile away.

Saying that if I lived in the UK Id use Grey Matter, not cheap but te final product is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Forge Design View Post
    Well when your ask for information like this you should state where your located. Does neither of us any good if I give you info for a caster to find out your 5000 mile away.

Saying that if I lived in the UK Id use Grey Matter, not cheap but te final product is outstanding.
    You're quite right of course! UK based . Something would be going significantly wrong in the world if I hadn't have left out some sort of vital info in the first post

Anyhoo, I've emailed a fair few folk now, including Grey Matter, so we'll soon get some more info (finger's crossed!).

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn R. L. View Post
    never heard of them, got a link shawn?!

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    never heard of them, got a link shawn?!

Moi? ? ? ?

Nothing there shawn. Or at least I can not see anything.

i didn't realise but the first part of the link is the coolmini url then straight into the armorcast one

Quote Originally Posted by devoncodain View Post
    Nothing there shawn. Or at least I can not see anything.
    They don't advertise casting services, and I can't guarantee they will do what you are looking for but they do do resin casting and may be able to accommodate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn R. L. View Post
    They don't advertise casting services, and I can't guarantee they will do what you are looking for but they do do resin casting and may be able to accommodate you.
    Thanks Shawn - it did cross my mind to use Amourcast, but I suppose the main issue would be me being based in the UK - I could well imagine shipping costs etc to eat into the budget a bit too much. However, I'd be happy to be proved wrong, so I'll be sending them an email

the ones I know of are.

Armorcast that shawn mentioned

Forgeworld www.forgeworld.co.uk

Is another one I know and have got stuff from.

Tee

Quote Originally Posted by Tee999 View Post
    the ones I know of are.

Armorcast that shawn mentioned

Forgeworld www.forgeworld.co.uk

Is another one I know and have got stuff from.

Tee
    Well, I doubt FW would make anything apart from their own stuff really. Even if they did, I guarantee they'd charge a fortune for the service. Not knocking the figures themselves, but the sometimes the actual quality of the casts is a bit too unpredictable for my purposes.

And Forgeworld is no longer a company of its own, they're a part of Games Workshop nowadays and that complicates that issue even further.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.