The Prisoner 2009
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Prisoner 2009

Default The Prisoner 2009

I remember talking briefly about this in one of those macabre 'celebrity deaths' threads that pop up on here ocassionaly, just after the news of Patrick McGoohan's passing.

Well now it has finally 'arrived' on the screen and, being a massive fan of the original, im not sure what to make of it. Sure, its big budget, good acting, lovely sets and location (Namibia being slightly more pleasant on the eye than Wales ) but, after watching the first 2 episodes the die-hard fan in me is still slightly sceptical. Reviews and reaction seem to be fairly mixed too, ranging from 'Its great' to 'They ruined a classic!'

Trailer on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8VZs7aLJCo

Anyone else seen/looking forward to seeing it? Any thoughts?

I can't imagine it having the same trippy charm of the original. But I'll concede that it might have its own merits.

Information!
    You won't get it!
    By hook or by crook, we will!

The Prisoner has always intrigued me. I haven't watched any of the original, but I've always wanted to. I will give this one a shot first, then go back and watch the original I think. That should allow me to enjoy the new one on it's own merits and appreciate the first for the same reasons I think.

Oh crap! I already missed it!

Looked pretty interesting, I'll have to watch out for replays.

Quote Originally Posted by In Chigh P.I. View Post
    Sure, its big budget, good acting, lovely sets and location (Namibia being slightly more pleasant on the eye than Wales )
    What, you mean they've built Portmeirion in Namibia? Incredible. They could have just used the real one and saved the expense

But really, whatever the difference is between Namibia and Wales, it'll be lacking in the architectural folly department.

edit: You know what, against my better judgement I'm actually a little riled at someone's subjective view that Namibia is 'easier on the eye' than Wales. How the f*ck do you quantify that? I'm not going to say that Wales is any more beautiful than any other place in the world as I'd be falling into the same trap (shooting myself in the foot) but I do take umbrage at the idea that Namibia is 'easier on the eye' based on a 3min trailer in the middle of a desert. WTF?!
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 11-17-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by In Chigh P.I. View Post
    Namibia being slightly more pleasant on the eye than Wales.
    What an absolute steaming load of BOLLOCKS.
    I'm going to be going to Portmerion next week, the location where the original programme was shot and I'm looking forward to it.

As far as I'm concerned the only reasons it would have been shot in Namibia is the fact that:
    1: it's a cheaper location
    2: it's warmer .
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I'm sure Namibia has some lovely views but nothing compared to the Italianate village. Wales has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world - and that's from an Englishman!

it wasnt meant to be taken seriously, i forgot to insert a suitable 'joke' or 'sarcasm' smiley (notice the space before the close-bracket, said smiley should have been there)

and this wasnt a personal opinion, rather one i think the producers would have arrived at to give the show a more universal appeal

As far as being cheaper to go to Namibia i would doubt that, given that its partly produced by ITV and features mostly British actors

Apologies if anyone was offended

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    As far as I'm concerned the only reasons it would have been shot in Namibia is the fact that:
    1: it's a cheaper location
    2: it's warmer .
    yes, and bear in mind i love the welsh but have you heard them speak up north?! oh dear

also they can (although i know some lovely northerners) be extremely hostile. i know southers that have been refused service etc because they don't speak welsh. i haven't had a massive experience with them myself so can only talk about it second hand
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Blog Entries

I didn't even hear that this was in the works. Which network in the US will be airing it?

EDIT: Watched the trailer, answered my question: AMC
    Last edited by philologus; 11-17-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I'm a dumbass

Blog Entries

Holy Crap. Gandalf the White imprisons Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    yes, and bear in mind i love the welsh but have you heard them speak up north?! oh dear

also they can (although i know some lovely northerners) be extremely hostile. i know southers that have been refused service etc because they don't speak welsh. i haven't had a massive experience with them myself so can only talk about it second hand
    Aaah! The good old Welsh North-South divide. Comes complete with linguistic differences to bamboozle the outsider. My Mum hails from the North, actually, whereas my Dad's family originated in the Gower (apparently, I'm distantly related to this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Price_%28doctor%29 - explains a lot). They got round this thorny problem by meeting on a blind date in Germany.

Like Scott, I am ashamed to say that I've never managed to watch The Prisoner, despite really wanting to. I have been to Portmerion though, and it's lovely. Maybe I could ask for the original series for christmas or something. My family always ask what I want and I'm always rubbish at coming up with lists for them that don't involve ordering things online from obscure gaming companies, lol!

With overtones of Magneto!!!

(very funny btw)

just finished watching eps 3 & 4......

still sceptical....

although its very enjoyable....

still sceptical.....

and yes, i keep expecting Ian McKellen to shout 'You shall not pass'!! at any given moment....

bring on the final 2 eps i say!!
    Last edited by In Chigh P.I.; 11-17-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: made an arse of it the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon warrior View Post
    (apparently, I'm distantly related to this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Price_%28doctor%29 - explains a lot).
    Thats brilliant!!! that statue isn't far from where i work. you wouldn't believe the amount of times i have driven past it! every time i think i must do some sort of shaman fig with an animal pelt...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Newbie, please be gentle geaugan's Avatar

Six hours of my life that I'll never get back. What a convoluted piece of cr*p! I can't believe they waited 42 years to insult one of the most creative series of the 60's. Patrick McGoowan must be rolling over in his grave.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    Thats brilliant!!! that statue isn't far from where i work. you wouldn't believe the amount of times i have driven past it! every time i think i must do some sort of shaman fig with an animal pelt...
    You know, I've never actually seen that statue in real life. I should go check it out sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by geaugan View Post
    Six hours of my life that I'll never get back. What a convoluted piece of cr*p! I can't believe they waited 42 years to insult one of the most creative series of the 60's. Patrick McGoowan must be rolling over in his grave.
    Thanks for your opinion, one that is shared by many i have noticed.

Now that i have seen the complete series myself i would say that my opinion is 'middle of the road' I certainly didnt hate it, but on the other hand i wont be rushing out to buy the dvd. I will watch it again sometime though

I know my dad will... He got all the prisoner episodes of restored actual episodes for his birth day last year...
    Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    i prefer to get two miniatures and rub them around on my gaming bobos.
    Totally going for #1 -->

After the event, maybe I overreacted a little