warfare: beer vs wine
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: warfare: beer vs wine

Default warfare: beer vs wine

warefare through the ages is there a connection between successful waring nations and the alcohol they drink? beer drinking nations seem to have the upper hand when confronting the wine drinking nations of the world, does wine make you a push over.point in case the english vs the french throughout history the french predominantly wine drinkers got their butts kicked by the britts (beer drinkers) a connection, i think so. the romans did alright fighting the other wine drinkers of the ancient world but then bumped into the germanic tribes goths etc (beer drinkers) and the rest is history.can anyone provide one scenario in history where the wine drinkers beat the beer drinkers? beer drinker fights beer drinker result two world wide conflicts result millions die(very bad) wine drinkers mostly passengers along for the ride if they liked it or not, beer triumphed over lager. japanese rice wine what happened they got there butts kicked by the beer monsters.

rofl!

you see if everyone was smoking weed instead, no-one would be arsed to fight!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

thats what happened to the yanks in vietnam, weed very bad.

hmmm... Well, the Normans did all right against the early "English" lot - whether they were beer drinkers or on the mead and cider, I'm not sure...

The ancient Greeks did ok, as did the Romans, considering they knocked over a fair quantity of what is considered beer monster countries...

Japanese Empire was pretty big, and the Chinese too.

The Spanish and Portuguese have never been considered beer nations, and they've done pretty well in the conquering stakes over time

However, I will concede the point of beer vs beer. It must be the beer intake causing a similar approach to conquest and conflict and leading to a meatgrinder....

spartacus roman gladiator slave fed beer, high protien, romans wine drinkers nough said.roman empire vs eastern empire wine drinker vs wine drinker . japanese empire? not really an empire just some nonce in a bath robe with a big title, i could call myself emperor of the world it doesnt give me an empire, japs had a bit of a scrabble trying to secure a few oil reserves in part of china and a few desert islands nice for coconuts n holidays but not for much else.normans descendants of northern tribes vikings etc bear drinkers until they settled in france they left before the wine took effect lolspanish armada what happened there emmmm
    Last edited by cassar; 11-24-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Where do the vodka drinkers enter the picture?
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    point in case the english vs the french throughout history the french predominantly wine drinkers got their butts kicked by the britts (beer drinkers) a connection, i think so.
    And you're sure that beer wasn't drunk by the French also?

the romans did alright fighting the other wine drinkers of the ancient world but then bumped into the germanic tribes goths etc (beer drinkers) and the rest is history.
    Achem, the Dacians, the Gauls, the Germani, the Iceni and other British tribes, all were conquered and dominated/governed for a good long while.

can anyone provide one scenario in history where the wine drinkers beat the beer drinkers?
    If you want to look into your premise further, consider, what did the Egyptians drink? The Assyrians, the Phoenicians, the Persians, the Mycenians? What did the Mongols drink?

Einion

egyptians invented beer again a great nation, romans didnt have the stamina to keep oppressing the beer drinkers i think they employed beer drinkers to do their fighting for them eventually..
    as for vodka look at the vikings berserk nutters for a 100 years or so then settled down on the wine in france.the mongols drank beer n some kind of fermented rocket fuel made from goat milk
    Last edited by cassar; 11-24-2009 at 07:55 AM.

That English tribe drunk all it's reserves of mead and beer and then killed two Roman legions stationed in Britain along with burning Colchester.
    It was all set for an early independence of England but as the tribe warriors confronted the final Roman legion they became more and more sober. Damn it! They cried to themselves and turned to their wives and elders, ordering them to park the family wagon as close to the warriors as possible. With the pace of a thousand leopards the tribesmen rooted through their wagons searching for beer and mead...All they found was this fermented grape juice. Wine.
    With a heavy heart they drank this 'Wine' and went into battle.

We all know the sad ending of that tale and almost 250,000 english warriors and families were slain. If only they had been more frugal with the beer and listened to their elders warning them of the impending running out..

I've chosen my side.

He said everyone.

thats what happened to the yanks in vietnam, weed very bad.

Uh..No. Japan was pretty brutal. Just ask any Korea or Chinese. Hell, any group that had the misfortune of being in East Asia or South East Asia at that time. If you need names; Korea, Manchuria, Inner Mongolia, Peking (Beijing), Shanghai, Nanking, Khangsu, Shanshi,Taiwan, Hong Kong, Maucao, Vietnam, French Indo China, Thailand, Burma, Malaysia, the East indies, the Philippines...I know I missed some. I had to look up a lot of these.

I never heard of Mongolians drinking beer. I will have to ask my friends. But I have heard of them drinking Mongolian Vodka and Arkhi (fermented mare's milk).

spartacus roman gladiator slave fed beer, high protien, romans wine drinkers nough said.roman empire vs eastern empire wine drinker vs wine drinker . japanese empire? not really an empire just some nonce in a bath robe with a big title, i could call myself emperor of the world it doesnt give me an empire, japs had a bit of a scrabble trying to secure a few oil reserves in part of china and a few desert islands nice for coconuts n holidays but not for much else.normans descendants of northern tribes vikings etc bear drinkers until they settled in france they left before the wine took effect lolspanish armada what happened there emmmm
    Last edited by Ebonbuddha; 11-24-2009 at 11:38 AM.

I have nothing to add, but this thread is great!

My question about the French might have seemed rhetorical but it's highly relevant given it's a crux of your argument. If you do think the mediaeval French didn't drink beer, or for that matter that the English of that time didn't drink wine, then you need to hit the history books again.

romans didnt have the stamina to keep oppressing the beer drinkers...
    Defeating them, roundly, isn't enough? Oi vey. Centuries of rule then!

What great beer-drinking nation/people's record is better? We're talking Roman domination for longer than the entire industrial age. That's your theory shot to hell right there, before we even have to delve into the mediaeval period.

as for vodka look at the vikings berserk nutters for a 100 years or so then settled down on the wine in france.
    Eh?

the mongols drank beer n some kind of fermented rocket fuel made from goat milk
    Mongols drank beer... without wheat farming or hops that would be some feat. Kumis is traditionally made from mare's milk BTW.

Einion

Thank you. I didn't think Mongols had beer. But they do make a vodka that could double as a brush cleaner/paint stripper. Just kidding. It is harsh, but pretty good after the first glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    My question about the French might have seemed rhetorical but it's highly relevant given it's a crux of your argument. If you do think the mediaeval French didn't drink beer, or for that matter that the English of that time didn't drink wine, then you need to hit the history books again.

Defeating them, roundly, isn't enough? Oi vey. Centuries of rule then!

What great beer-drinking nation/people's record is better? We're talking Roman domination for longer than the entire industrial age. That's your theory shot to hell right there, before we even have to delve into the mediaeval period.

Eh?

Mongols drank beer... without wheat farming or hops that would be some feat. Kumis is traditionally made from mare's milk BTW.

Einion

as for vodka look at the vikings berserk nutters for a 100 years or so then settled down on the wine in france.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Eh?
    I believe I must second that 'Eh?'
    We had quite the amount of beer getting downed here... Vodka comes from Poland and is named by the Russians, just because we have good Vodka exported today doesn't mean we were the ones drinking it!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

The only time I wine is if there's no beer! (see what I did there!.......ok, it's early and I've only had one coffee.....sorry.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Devilry View Post
    The only time I wine is if there's no beer! (see what I did there!.......ok, it's early and I've only had one coffee.....sorry.....)
    *sniffs the coffee*

What kind of cream did you add, son?
    You see, fate is like a cat. Sometimes it is nice, and lets you pet it, and it sits in your lap. Sometimes it does not care at all and just wanders around ignoring you. Sometimes it farts in your face, scratches you, then coughs up a hairball on your carpet that you have to pick up.

You are all forgetting the most important thing in this discussion...

Mead beats both Beer and Wine drinkers (The Vikings ^^,)
    At least it made you a living terror legend :P

That aside I can surely see a pattern.
    Once Sweden was one of the greatest nations in the world, and we all know how much beer we consume

Quote Originally Posted by Müller View Post
    Once Sweden was one of the greatest nations in the world, and we all know how much beer we consume
    That was a long time ago, and I think we drink more beer today than we did then.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    That was a long time ago, and I think we drink more beer today than we did then.
    I think that was the point?