=========
    a little fix

a comparison with another one

well, I find it hard to contol the mix of paint and water

looking foward to your suggestion
    ==========
    updated

===========
    well,I'm so lucky that my friend share with me some of his space wolf parts so that i have not only new shoulder pads but also many parts such as heads, arms, standards..
    so I used alchohol to wash the paint off and start over again
    here are two combinations and I use the latter because it looks better

I took a picture in black an white to define the light and tone

I used photoshop to simulate the finshed work

someone told me to use thinned base coat and thinned base color, however I find it really a pain because it's time consuming and also seems no different from what I did before

==================
    well, the mini actually looks messy but the picture seems just ok, i have to admit that i'm surprised by the picture, the contrast is so good..hahah, i'm happy that i can do it .
    this time it's a full gradation from black(or very dark blue) to white..!
    Last edited by juphro; 12-01-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: update

i think your on the right track, it really just comes down to more experience. I can see a better paint job between the two, the latest one is neater and smoother, the basic idea is there. keep working it'll payoff

Great job. As nosirrahkcaz said, the results will come with the experience, just paint.

Definite improvement, and that's all you can ask for, to keep getting better as you go along. 20 years after I started painting I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere!

As long as you keep the right attitude (which you obviously have) then results will just keep getting better

impressive, you can really see the diff
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

You can definitely see a huge improvement. The one thing I see with it is that you're perhaps putting on the paint slightly too thickly. It might take longer, but using slightly more thinner coats than you are doing will get the blends even better. However, he's looking fine

well done, are you please with the results you are getting?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Looking much better and those lenses are very good too.

I've chosen my side.

i think it looks really sweet, big progress from the earlier one. i do think you should try to take the highlight even futher to almost white at the end to get a more "metallic" feeling on the armor. but it looks great, good job.

well,I'm so lucky that my friend share with me some of his space wolf parts so that i have not only new shoulder pads but also many parts such as heads, arms, standards..
    so I used alchohol to wash the paint off and start over again
    here are two combinations and I use the latter because it looks better

I took a picture in black an white to define the light and tone

I used photoshop to simulate the finshed work

someone told me to use thinned base coat and thinned base color, however I find it really a pain because it's time consuming and also seems no different from what I did before

===========
    well, the mini actually looks messy but the picture seems just ok, i have to admit that i'm surprised by the picture, the contrast is so good..hahah, i'm happy that i can do it .
    Last edited by juphro; 12-01-2009 at 10:19 AM.

My advice would be to go with the technique you are comfortable with. The benefits of different techniques will show themselves as you grow as a painter. Just remember to try new ones out from time to time to test yourself. What you do looks great already, you are way past 'decent' tabletop which in my opinion means a great deal when in comes to armies.

When it comes to the thinner base coat issue, I believe it was more about every layer of colour, not just the base coat. Seeing as it seems you already have a good grasp of blending thinner paints will only make everything easier and nicer, even if it is a bit more time consuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Very nicely done! Your mini looks great. You've gotten a nice dynamic pose with just stock parts and no GSing, so kudos. From a game standpoint, one might question the wisdom of both a wolf claw and a powerfist.... But from a modelling standpoint, very cool. Can't wait to see the painted mini!
    Blasting forth in three part harmony!