What the hell did I do to you? (Random rant inside)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the hell did I do to you? (Random rant inside)

Unhappy What the hell did I do to you? (Random rant inside)

Hey y'all, sorry about the random rant here, I gotta blow steam somewhere and, well I have no other friend.

Woke up this morning... went to the convenience store for cigs... walking back in my driveway I noticed '' Hey, my GF has a flat tire!... wait a minute.. two flat tires...WHAT THE HECK!?!''
    Turns out both our cars have had all four SPANKING NEW winter tires slashed. That's 1200$ gone on the edge of a blade. I live in a small town, quiet neighborhood, not the kind of thing one would expect.
    We don't really know anybody since we moved in a couple months ago, and we are a very quiet couple.
    My only lead as too who might have done it would be the guy living in the basement where I live; He is always pissed, yells all day long, and he as being complaining that we make too much noise (Well if you consider painting mini a noisy activity, maybe), just yesterday night he was banging in the walls, probably pissed because I was painting and walking around to get drinks and stuff. In fact we heard him complaining to the landlord the same day just after I noticed the tires. Fishy.
    But the police says it's very unlikely he could prove anything, or catch the criminal altogether.

This sucks...

That does indeed suck a ton. Really, nothing I would reccomend doing. I'd tell the landlord your suspicions only because if he is a real headcase it might be one more thing the landlord might be looking for to kick the dude out. And I'd upgrade to a package policy for insurance so you won't have to spend as much if this happens again.

Yikes!

...and what's the deal with that naked picture with nothing but a battle axe?

Why does he always act like he's half-drunk?

A monobrow? Really?

EDIT....

Sorry, sorry, I thought this was a Radom rant.....

(sorry for your tires GO, that does indeed suck! Vandals are cowards!)

That blows. Sorry to hear about that.

@Vike it says (Random rant inside) note the "n" not Radom, thats a totaly diferent kind of rant. Never confuse the two. But what scares me is the size of the censor box!

GreenOne I don't even know which country you are in, but stupidity like this seems to be a global issue. If it happened to me I would be able to collect against the vandalism clause in my house insurance or the vandalism clause in my car insurance although that may ramp my rates up in the future and I would still be out the $500 dollar deductable. Basically the victim ends up paying no matter what.
    If this idiot is even close to what you are saying my advice would be to have a talk with the landlord and see if he will spend a quiet evening with you, and let him experience the joy of being told you are walking across your kitchen too loudly. That would tend to solve the problem post haste. As to the tires installing a video camera may be the ticket to conviction... come to think of it a home movie of you and the wife having a quiet cup of tea while listening to the pounding on the wall about your loud slurping may be worth a bit...
    Hope things get better for you
    Chris
    Oh, sure. Throw logic at the problem! - BarstoolProphet
    Hmm. I always thought the crease in my hand and some sweat did a better job than my mouth. - evil tendencies
    Oh, how bad could it be? It's only for one day. - BarstoolProphet

Quote Originally Posted by daGoz View Post
    @Vike it says (Random rant inside) note the "n" not Radom, thats a totaly diferent kind of rant. Never confuse the two.

Is it really?

Yeah, vandalism is just the worst crime. I can't stand such a stupid act. Any of it. Be it for this guys wierd sense of revenge or what, it's just nonsense. It always escalates. Good luck amigo!

If I were you I would file a complaint against him with the PD on grounds of harrassment. Then set up a camera inside and outside the house. Tell the landlord that you are very seriously considering breaking your lease if this guy continues this way. Your landlord might get angry or threaten legal action, but if you give him proof that the guy downstairs is a full blown nut job, he will not have any grounds to take action against you.

I am not a lawyer but I had a similar situation with domestic violence next door to me in an apartment. The second time it happened I called the cops, the next day I moved my Wife and our 2 month old son out.

NEVER take your safety for granted.

I lived above a schizophrenic when I was young lived above him he ruined both apartments when I was at work

I employed one that was on heavy meds it got to the point you could hear him "talking" to himself outdoors a acre away....TreManor is right be aware they are very sporadic and it sound very simular to the situation with the unnessary screaming...

Thanks for the sympathy guys.

Yeah the guy is a bit of a nutcase, but I wanted to avoid confrontation unless the problem got out of hand.. cause these stupid neighbor arguments never do anything good. If it is him who did that, then I got out of hand alright. I did speak to the landlord, he seems to be on my side, though he doubts he could be the culprit. I did tell him if there is no solution fast, I'll be gone before new year, but I'd like to avoid that, besides the recent event, everything was pretty nice here, and I only moved in last july, would suck to have to move again.
    I have insurance for one of the car, the newer one, but not the other.... with the 250$ deductible it's a loss of about 850$; if it's only because my painting chair does a bit of squeaking and I tend to be alive past midnight, it's a bit exaggerated
    The more I think of it, the less I can think of it being anyone else, I have no enemy, few people know where I live, and the police have had no other complaints for vandalism events in my area as of late, plus it was done in broad daylight, between 8am and 2pm, by someone who has to know we both sleep late ( Since my GF works the nightshift.)
    I'm considering the security camera, in fact I know someone who could lend me a set.

Everyone I talked to could not believe someone would be nut enough to slash all eight tires,
    and I really can't believe it either. When I was in Montreal, I lived above a schizo drug dealer who was yelling all the time, threatened me and once threw an empty beer bottle in my window, but I was in the worst of neighborhood, in a totally different place and time. But it sadly is starting to remind me of that episode, but I have a woman to 'protect' as well now. Yeah, I might have to consider moving...
    Last edited by GreenOne; 12-02-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Have you thought about talking to the neighbor? It sounds like you have a lack of information, and if he's a "pressure cooker" kind of personality who is at the point of committing serious vandalism, it isn't hard to get. If you go and ask him what his problems are with you, you may find that you completely misjudged him.

If you haven't (and I doubt you have) you'll probably get an earfull of really petty BS, and he'll probably say something he shouldn't that you can later take to the manager or the cops. If you're very lucky, he'll take a poke at you and you'll have grounds for criminal prosecution and a restraining order; just make sure you have some way to prove the assault.

It's probably a good idea to take a tape recorder with you too, though check with a reputable lawyer about how to do this so you don't violate any laws, and so that any admissions by him are usable in court.

Whatever you do, I would encourage you to not ignore this. Initial human instincts are usually good; if you can't think of anyone else who would go after you like that, you probably thought of him for a good reason. If this guy really is the "pressure cooker" type of angry neighbor, and you don't know what is setting him off, you may find that the next outburst is rather more serious than just some slashed tires.
    You see, fate is like a cat. Sometimes it is nice, and lets you pet it, and it sits in your lap. Sometimes it does not care at all and just wanders around ignoring you. Sometimes it farts in your face, scratches you, then coughs up a hairball on your carpet that you have to pick up.

Man, I think you're right, it should probably confront him directly... I just hate it so much, Im really a soft guy who will do anything to avoid argument or violence. I never even talked to him, though my GF did a couple time. The guy is a bit physically impaired and in no shape to hurt me unless he used a weapon, but the situation is tense enough that I fear this might be dangerous. I do know what is his problem with me, noise. Not that we are noisy here, but the floor is poorly insonorised ( Or whatever the proper word may be.) he actually complained about my squeaking chair and the fact that I let the water on all the time... actually thinking I do that on purpose just to piss him off ( That's a bit paranoid if you ask me.) or some shite like that. My girlfriend heard him through the window as he was arguing with the landlord.
    I do trust my first instinct, and the coincidence is too much to ignore, by now I'm very certain the two events are linked.

as much i it could be the neighbour, and there is no harm in preparing yourself and covering your arse with the landlord, bear in mind it could be a random act. i had that a few yrs back. i wa the only car in the street to have it done, only because i knew someone a few streets over that i knew a couple of others within half a mile had had it done the same night. just bear that in mind before confronting an aggressive neighbour with no evidence...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Hmmm... I was something of a vandal when I was a kid... Yes I know better of it now, and truly regret all that crap then. The more I think about this the less I think it IS random. Who would be ballsy enough to slash tires in broad daylight let alone ALL FOUR ON TWO CARS just fro the hell of it? I was crazy as a kid and would do a lot of really stupid stuff, but I was never stupid. That is either incredible stupididty or out right targeted anger. Talk to the Cops and the landlord and be careful of what you say if you talk to him. Try to get it on camera, as you certainly do not want him twisting the conversation afterwards.

I vote yes on the security camera. Then you know you can feel safe about your car and your safety.
    "A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise." - Aldo Leopold

Maybe it was the landlord that did the deed?

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Maybe it was the landlord that did the deed?
    Nah, I always blame Miss Scarlet.

Seriously, it might be worth confronting the neighbor while you have a concealed tape recorder running. Just check with a reputable lawyer beforehand if you decide to do that. It's amazing the stupid things people say when they think the law can't hear them.
    You see, fate is like a cat. Sometimes it is nice, and lets you pet it, and it sits in your lap. Sometimes it does not care at all and just wanders around ignoring you. Sometimes it farts in your face, scratches you, then coughs up a hairball on your carpet that you have to pick up.

Hope you reported it to the cops. Your insurance may cover it.

I say Colonel Mustard... with a knife in the parking

It's not likely random vandalism, as TreManor said, slashing eight tires in the same parking in broad daylight on a residential street is a bit too bold for your average teenager. I has too be someone in a real fit of anger, directed anger. And if it was random vandalism, there would be other similar cases reported, which, says the cop, isn't the case.

I'm not gonna talk to the neighbor either, not now anyway, I'm so pissed it could only end badly. Landlord is on it, he says he will try to get rid of him, as he is himself tired of getting called every other week with air headed complaints, which happened before we moved in also.
    If he doesnt leave, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    Landlord is on it, he says he will try to get rid of him, as he is himself tired of getting called every other week with air headed complaints, which happened before we moved in also.
    If he doesnt leave, I will.
    You might want to have a chat with your landlord a few days later if he does end up evicting the guy, and see if your neighbor asked if you had said something about him. If he might have the idea that you forced his move, you should probably request an increased patrol from your local PD for a couple of weeks. If he really did slash your tires because you run the water too much, he might get more dangerous ideas if he think you got him evicted - even if you actually didn't.