A couple of new ones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of new ones

Default A couple of new ones

I've posted two new minis. The first one was painted two months ago, but I didn't get around to properly photograph it until yesterday. It's a dwarf from Red Box Games. Lots of character in this sculpt. The paintjob isn't that special, just fun to paint! Still happy with it, though.

http://coolminiornot.com/238429

The next one was painted this weekend, and is also from Red Box Games. A typical, yet not derivative, dark elf. I used some rather typical dark elf colours on it, as well. I'm really happy with the metallics here.

http://coolminiornot.com/238430

Comments welcome, as always.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Wonderful work. The skin tone on the dwarf is amazing.

Love the freehand on the elf's shield and the blood splatter is well done without going overboard.

how strange I've just picked out cleaned and primed a dark elf to paint just for something different.. not as nice as that one though GW and I was thinking purple and turquoise.....dang....

lovely bit of freehand there chief nice smple and neat...

is it just the pics or does the dawrf look a little like he's gonna fall backwards ??? know the sculpt des have that leaned back look but it does look a little like the whole little fela is heading backwards...

lovely wok as always though chief and the metallics do workwell on that elf picking out the amour beautifully and can hazard a guess it will look a lt better IRL.... great stuff

The metallics are astounding. Really nicely done.

You've certainly captured the feel of the sculpts.

Really nice colour choices on them, have you used dullcoat on these ?

How did you do the base on the Dark Elf?

really like the skintone on that dwarf.
    but i have to second demonherald it do look like he lean backwards a bit?

cant say i fancy elfs but i do think that metallics look fantastic, and the base rocks!

ace photographing, by the way

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the dwarf seems to be leaning backwards in the photos. It is not something you think about when you see the mini in hand, so I guess the camera angle has exaggerated it. It does have a somewhat backwards-leaning pose, like Rob said, as the dwarf pushes his belly forward. In hand, it all looks about right, though.

@james
    No, I haven't varnished these.

@supervike
    The central part of the base is a cast resin base with some rubble on. I think it is meant to be sci-fi or post-apoc, but rubble is rubble, eh? I then added heaps of sand and rocks and had some of it spill down the sides of the base onto the wider base I attached it on. I then broke a resin pillar I had in my stash, carved out the base of it so I could place it halfway onto the smaller base and the rest on the wider one. I filed down the broken off top so that I could place it a bit angled to the side. Then it's just painted. Lots of MIG powders have been used. The thorns are some stuff I found on some seaweed that had been washed up on the shore. I think it's some sort of coral-like animal, actually. When they die, they shrivel up and form some sort of calcium-rich structures like what you see here.

The Dwarf is nice and well painted - not exactly my cup of tea, but your painting really helps me liking this miniature.

The Dark Elf is truly spectacular in my opinion. The choice of colors, the execution, the base ... fantastic all around. Nit-picking I would suggest to use a somewhat less fleshy skin tone - a colder skin would be more fitting for a Dark Elf in my opinion. But that is probably just my personal preference

I like the bald beardy one a lot. Lovely stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GunjiNoKanrei View Post
    Nit-picking I would suggest to use a somewhat less fleshy skin tone - a colder skin would be more fitting for a Dark Elf in my opinion. But that is probably just my personal preference
    The skin actually is slightly colder than what the pictures suggest. The same goes for the base colours. My camera has a tendency to exaggerate the red tones.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yep, them'll do!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    My camera has a tendency to exaggerate the red tones.
    "exaggerate"?!? you dont know the meaning of that word!!

your pictures are just like i want mine to be. crystal clear. i think i have to pay you a visit by force if i have to when my orks are done hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    your pictures are just like i want mine to be. crystal clear. i think i have to pay you a visit by force if i have to when my orks are done hahaha
    You're most welcome!

Great stuff, particularly like the elf, cool base.

anders, you stuff is always a pleasure to view!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I have loved seeing these sculpts when Tre puts them up from Red Box, and always wondered how great they'd look when they were painted up proper-like by some of you talented folk. Always worth seeing cool sculpts made even better with paintjobs like yours. Thanks for sharing.

The face is definitely colder IRL. The skin tone is very different IRL to most skintones I've seen Anders done that are most often warmer. I like the elf really much and the dwarf is cool as well. Voted & Commented.

The freehand on that elf's shield, coupled with the ultra smooth blending, is exceptional. That's worth a 10 in and of itself. Excellent work, thank you for sharing!

Cheers,

RR
    Last edited by Rdrunner; 12-06-2009 at 01:35 PM.

I think that the elf is just amazing. The over all effort is exceptional I think it is a 10 as a whole.