Cult of personality....

Thread: Cult of personality....

You posted this jokingly, correct?

ahhh rednecks got to love em.

Quote Originally Posted by AinuLainour View Post
    You posted this jokingly, correct?
    Only half-jokingly, unfortunately. As a person who witnessed the first, things like the second seriously bother me. Besides, the similarity in composition between the two is rather obvious
    Last edited by skeeve; 12-13-2009 at 07:13 AM.

he even has "bling" around his neck!!

I question why it has to be Barrak and not just a ten year old boy with dreams of the future. Egads.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Blog Entries

Interesting.

Course I'd have thunk the money better spent on helping the poor, not inspiring the poor, but thats just me.
    Dr. Walter Bishop: I have used this technique to extract information from a corpse once. You can do that if they haven't been dead for longer than six hours.
    Peter Bishop: [in the background] Right, 'cause after six hours, that's when they're really dead.

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar. S. Clemons

Because I don't have enough madness in my life : http://topographyworkshop.blogspot.com

Well, the statue is supposed to be an inspiration to the young children that live in Indonesia. The same place Barrack attended school.

As jaded as we have become as a society, it is still quite an accomplishment for a poor child that was schooled in a 3rd world country to grow up and become the leader of the most powerful country in the world. Why shouldn't they want to celebrate that?

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Well, the statue is supposed to be an inspiration to the young children that live in Indonesia. The same place Barrack attended school.

As jaded as we have become as a society, it is still quite an accomplishment for a poor child that was schooled in a 3rd world country to grow up and become the leader of the most powerful country in the world. Why shouldn't they want to celebrate that?
    Because of the fact that he was schooled in a 3rd world country means he still got a better education than our public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeve View Post
    Only half-jokingly, unfortunately. As a person who witnessed the first, things like the second seriously bother me. Besides, the similarity in composition between the two is rather obvious
    Former Soviet, right?

You would not be the first Russian immigrant I've heard voice these views.
    Look up the singing school children and it does send a little sense of dread.

...it is still quite an accomplishment for a poor child that was schooled in a 3rd world country to grow up and become the leader of the most powerful country in the world. Why shouldn't they want to celebrate that?
    No reason someone shouldn't want to celebrate that, and I understand why they would. I don't like his politics, and I voted for the other guy, but I certainly think that his success is still something to try and emulate.

I think that it's the manner, and degree, that people celebrate the man that is of concern here. The extremely high hopes some people have for him often don't match the realities of what he can, or wants, to do. And there is a definite similarity to the celebrations of the old Soviet bosses - though I think Obama's lack of involvement in the endeavor is a key difference.

Myself, I don't worry much that he's going to turn into an autocrat, or that he's doing anything spooky. Like I said, I don't like his politics, but he seems to be a normal American guy as far as I can tell, with all the qualities and flaws that entails. What concerns me is how much he thinks he owes to the people who believe he can walk on water, both here and abroad, and what he may end up doing to try and please them.
    You see, fate is like a cat. Sometimes it is nice, and lets you pet it, and it sits in your lap. Sometimes it does not care at all and just wanders around ignoring you. Sometimes it farts in your face, scratches you, then coughs up a hairball on your carpet that you have to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by evil tendencies View Post
    Like I said, I don't like his politics, but he seems to be a normal American guy as far as I can tell, with all the qualities and flaws that entails.
    You know that's possibly the first reasonable comment, from one of his critics on here, I've seen about the man.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by evil tendencies View Post
    No reason someone shouldn't want to celebrate that, and I understand why they would. I don't like his politics, and I voted for the other guy, but I certainly think that his success is still something to try and emulate.

I think that it's the manner, and degree, that people celebrate the man that is of concern here. The extremely high hopes some people have for him often don't match the realities of what he can, or wants, to do. And there is a definite similarity to the celebrations of the old Soviet bosses - though I think Obama's lack of involvement in the endeavor is a key difference.

Myself, I don't worry much that he's going to turn into an autocrat, or that he's doing anything spooky. Like I said, I don't like his politics, but he seems to be a normal American guy as far as I can tell, with all the qualities and flaws that entails. What concerns me is how much he thinks he owes to the people who believe he can walk on water, both here and abroad, and what he may end up doing to try and please them.

Yes, I absolutley agree. Although I DID vote for the guy, I have more realistic hopes than some. Still, I think I'd prefer to wait and see if he does something (ANYTHING) before statues need to be erected in the states...

So far, we're just waiting.

I think I'd prefer to wait and see if he does something (ANYTHING) before statues need to be erected in the states...
    Yep truth in that.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

and yet the reality is he is in fact a completely typical politician. He is doing his absolute best to sound like he is working to the desires of the people who voted for him (which is in fact what he SHOULD be doing) while actually doing fuck all to make any real changes at all.

Anyone who thinks he is autocratic really needs to get their heads out of their arses.