Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avatar - the movie

Default Avatar - the movie

I haven't seen it yet. Opinions from those who have? For a flick that cost almost half a BILLION I would hope I would go home younger, lighter and with a harem following me in hot pursuit!

Saw the (3D) preview on Wednesday. The sub-text is ladled on so thick that it completely ceases to be sub-text, but the world itself is slickly realised and beautiful. Breath-taking scenery, cool beasties, glittery sex, what more do you want?

ETA: It's loooong! And I'm not convinced that the 3D in the cinema we went to was working properly. Maybe it had something to do with where we were sitting (more towards the front, and a bit to one side), and I wasn't feeling that well anyway, but the last half hour was a bit spoilt for me because I had really bad neck ache and a stabbing pain in my right temple. And I still enjoyed the last battle! I'm hoping to go see it again with the other half when I'm back in the UK.
    Last edited by Amazon warrior; 12-18-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Half a BILLION?!? Gadzooks! Astonishing amount of money!

If all the above is included... count me in

it looked really pretty in the 3d trailer i saw. but i dont know if i'd feel sick with the motion blur..
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Fur Ball

Talking Avatar

I had the pleasure of seeing it last night in 3D. It is visually stunning. Plus I love the fact that the 40K Imperial Guards showed up to add some authenticity to the movie. However it was hard to see everything that was coming at you in a regular 3D version, that an IMAX 3D version might be a little too much and you will miss a lot of the small details they added. For those of you who are excellent modelers you will get many ideas for scenery in this movie.

I'll probably like it, but $500 Million? One of my favorite noirs cost about $20,000. Granted that was 59 years ago, but it's still being watched and taught two generations later.

Is Avatar anywhere near this good?
    You see, fate is like a cat. Sometimes it is nice, and lets you pet it, and it sits in your lap. Sometimes it does not care at all and just wanders around ignoring you. Sometimes it farts in your face, scratches you, then coughs up a hairball on your carpet that you have to pick up.

500 million is a bit of an exaggeration. Last I heard it was under 300 million - still the most expensive movie ever made. Weta had around 800 people working on it at one point. Bet that don't come cheap

Anyway, the trailers leave me cold. The CG looks utterly artificial and reminds me of Phantom Menace. If people want to make cartoons, then that's what they should do. This sort of stuff just reminds me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Pete's Dragon.

I'm hoping it's going to be worth watching, but my expectations are not high...

Edit: Yep, it wasn't really worth the effort. Derivative, waaaay too long and a wafer thin plot that's simply an excuse for a big FX-fest ruck at the end.
    Last edited by Spacemunkie; 12-23-2009 at 03:15 AM.

The wife and I saw it today. I don't know what this '40K Imperial guard' nonsense is about. They weren't in this movie. Just because they are humans in space fighting doesn't mean they are tied into 40K. The special effects were awesome. I plan on seeing it again.
    Last edited by Ebonbuddha; 12-20-2009 at 02:46 PM.

I could define it as well made, beautiful but tooooooo long and dull.

I came out of the cinema with neckache

Shaz

the 300 million shows. id never seen a "new" 3D movie before, and i was amazed. while the core plot was fairly predictable, i really enjoyed all the side stories, and the world they created was jaw-dropping stunning. interestingly enough, the battle was one of my least favorite parts. i enjoyed the contrast between the two "worlds" more than the actual conflict. the detail was just incredible. total eye candy. i really suggest the #D thing too, that was neat. ill definitely be seeing alice in wonderland in 3D.....

Usually, 3D leaves me feeling rather headachey, but I saw Avatar today in 3D anyway and did not end up with the usual headache - We saw it in a more upscale theater with super digital whatever and not the usual kind of disposable glasses, so that might have made a difference.

I thought it was an amazing and beautiful movie. Planning to see it again in a few days.

apparently cameron has plans to do another two films if this one does well (it is).
    i wonder how long it will be until there is a miniatures line....

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemunkie View Post

Anyway, the trailers leave me cold. The CG looks utterly artificial and reminds me of Phantom Menace. If people want to make cartoons, then that's what they should do. This sort of stuff just reminds me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Pete's Dragon.

I'm hoping it's going to be worth watching, but my expectations are not high...

I said much the same to the missus yesterday: either animate ALL of it or leave it well alone...

i thought it was pretty seamless. nothing at all like the previously mentioned blasphemy.

Ok. IT was visually pretty stunning.. but, seriously, you are willing to spend half a billion to make a movie. You are doing it anyway... In the whole production cycle writing a good script is a minuscule fraction of total cost. Why was it so difficult to spend some time and actually write a decent script? "Pan Labyrinth" - comparable graphics, considerably cheaper and way, way better script - don't tell me that it is impossible to accomplish.

The movie didn't cost half a billion. Cameron said so in an interview. It is an exaggeration of the total cost.

Keep in mind a good chunk of the movies cost was in development of new technology. Something they are going to sell/license out to anyone with the $$ for it. The new 3D technology will be used in many movies to come and with the fist 3D TV's coming in a year or so.. were going to see a lot of new 3D.

Ill probably see it next week.

Just got back for seeing this movie. Visually Eye Candy! The shading on the "Avatar" skins looks so much better then some of the previews that I've seen. At times is was hard (very) to tell where the makeup ended and the CG started.
    Two parts that made me think. On the floating islands wheres the "water" coming from? And two, There's a animal trainer person listed in the credits? Was there any live animals on screen? May be for the sound effects I guess.

The really bad thing that kinda pisses me off is the, for lack of a better word, the parting shot theme of "industry bad, nature good." Or "anything that Mankind or big Corp touches goes to hell." and that the Military is a bunch of folks that care about nothing then to shoot people and blowing things up. We get it, we get it all ready! sigh....

Ok, I guess it is a retelling of the American Wild West from the Indians PoV. But still, Half of the Folks in the service that I've known would have thought twice or three times about the legality of some of the orders issued in this movie.

Over all I think that I give it a 10 for visual, a 8 or 9 for execution, 7 for acting, and a 5 or 6 for the plot.
    Last edited by mud duck; 12-20-2009 at 10:48 PM.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Forge Design View Post
    and with the fist 3D TV's coming in a year or so.. were going to see a lot of new 3D.
    I hear there a lot of 3D video games coming out. CAN'T WAIT!!

@mud duck -
    The animals could have been used for rotoscoping the creatures. Also, I hear Cameron has a VERY STRONG leftie bias and apparently pushes it with both hands in this flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn R. L. View Post
    I hear there a lot of 3D video games coming out. CAN'T WAIT!!
    yeah someone did a wii hack that looked brilliant
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg