My boyfriend likes dinosaurs....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My boyfriend likes dinosaurs....

Default My boyfriend likes dinosaurs....

...so this is what I want to do for him for Christmas:

Nothing too complicated, but I'm still starting to panic - they only got primed this morning before I went to work! Hopefully, I'll be able to get plenty done tomorrow and some of Sunday - I'm supposed to be flying back on Wednesday evening so the race is on!

Looking good so far. You may want to break the ends off the popsicle sticks to make them look more like wood planks and less like popsicle sticks.
    Blasting forth in three part harmony!

i think they are just for holding the minis
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

freak's right - I glued the chappies to the lolly sticks so that I could paint them without getting mucky fingerprints all over them! The minis themselves will be removed and glued directly to the main base once they're finished.

Fun fact for the evening: If you load enough glue and basing material onto a CD, it apparently warps it. I didn't think that was possible.

Anyway, beddy-byes now, so I can get up early and get cracking on this PDQ tomorrow morning!

Now that's a lucky boyfriend
    Marc

The idea is solid, deffo, I'd make the base size smaller though, or build it more, at the moment you've got a lot of flat space with not a lot going on overall, maybe build it up with rocks or something, make the composition a bit more interesting

Squig

ooooh. I thought they were meant to be a sort of catwalk, the kind archaeologists use when excavating fragile things. Like dinosaur bones. So there are these two archaeologists slowing bringing forth these great bones when HOLYSHITTREX.

At least, that's how it was going in my mind.
    Blasting forth in three part harmony!

cool! dinos are neat. next time, you should make your own base. its really easy, and fast (about 45mins) to make with sculpy, in any shape you want. looks nice too if done right (good thickness, smooth edge etc).

Thanks for the comments, all!

Quote Originally Posted by squig hunter View Post
    The idea is solid, deffo, I'd make the base size smaller though, or build it more, at the moment you've got a lot of flat space with not a lot going on overall, maybe build it up with rocks or something, make the composition a bit more interesting

Squig
    Cheers! More rocks, you say? Could be do-able - I have more cork bits kicking around. I was also planning on putting lots of "vegetation" round the 'rex's half, so it looks like he's emerging from it to find a pair of tasty snacks! I also found myself constrained a bit by my desired arrangement of the bones. Spread out like they are, they take up quite a bit of space......

Quote Originally Posted by Prophecy07 View Post
    ooooh. I thought they were meant to be a sort of catwalk, the kind archaeologists use when excavating fragile things. Like dinosaur bones. So there are these two archaeologists slowing bringing forth these great bones when HOLYSHITTREX.

That's a really good idea, actually! But I'm not sure how I'd implement it now. I was toying with the idea of having some thread attached to short posts to grid the area where the bones are - unfortunately, most of my knowledge of how paleontologists work is based on popular fiction!

@funnymouth: I really should try that - I was limited this time by a lack of materials and brain.....

Quote Originally Posted by Prophecy07 View Post

actually that would look quite good

@amazon, how much stuff did you put on the base in one go? i would have thought it would be ok if you built it up slowly
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    @amazon, how much stuff did you put on the base in one go? i would have thought it would be ok if you built it up slowly
    I did build it up in layers, big stuff first. And over the course of a couple of days. Ah well, it's not too bad - hopefully no one'll be looking at the CD by the time I've finished painting it!

Smile

I hope the painting is progressing...not long now
    1 figure a day
    1 day for the base
    1 day to finnish off

5 days

you should get it done in time easy!

Dino is a-go!

The way I figure it, I don't need to leave the house today and Google tells me it's currently -12oC out there anyway, so I have the perfect excuse to stay in and paint!

Timeteam is always a good source of scruffy archaeologists and their behaviour

Marc

This looks cool - what a great gift and an excellent idea.
    Win a copy of WAB 2 in the Irregular Magazine painting competition. Click for more info
    Issue 6 / Autumn '10 out now, includes interview with Nick Kyme and a tutorial from Mr Scream!

Meet Mr. Chompy:

I feel like I should do more to his legs, but I'm not sure what/how. Pretty pleased with the rest of him, though. Once he's finished I can throw more stuff on the base without worrying about it getting in the way.

My jaw just dropped! Darn beautiful! Love it! If you want to do something more with the feet and legs, perhaps continue the transition and go towards the colour you have on the stripes on the back? Or perhaps all you'll need is some mud and weathering?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

deeeeep in woods in gulf coastal mississippi usa
    Blog Entries

wow! very nice! mr. chompy looks hungry. good thing there's two tasty little mid-afternoon snacks close by! i wish i had a g/f that could do that.