Obsidian Painting: Obsidian Paint! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obsidian Painting: Obsidian Paint!

Put me down for one of the samples please, I'm in England, but if you do initially pull me out the hat, go right ahead and give it to someone more productive then me

Marc
    Help me to hatch my eggs , click on it

If it isn't troublesome for you I'd love to try a set out. I can understand if I don't get picked though. I'm in Sweden.

Oh, and with the rock idea, I can quickly name 44 different gemstones without much trouble(thank you Google) and that does not include colour variations within the actual type of stone. On top of that you have semi-precious stones, magmatic-, metamorphic-, sedimentary and meteorite rock types.
    So, using stones alone you could easily build a base range of 100-150 differently named colours and then you have the other forms of minerals like different crystals and salts.
    And as I said before, this did not include colour variations within the type of stone itself like black rubies and the such.

It just might take a while before you actually run out of names in that range.
    Last edited by Chrome; 12-31-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

I'd like to give 'em a shot. I'm in America, if that helps. Especially if you came up with a yellow...
    Blasting forth in three part harmony!

@Chrome Nice! That'd be sweet. I like the idea of these gemstones/rocks. And i'll see what i can do about getting something out to you!

@Prophecy and everyone else: Remember these are for the washes, not the paints themselves. The paints will come a little later.

Cheers, Gary.

I use washes as much as I use paints. That's the only way I get halfway decent looking models. Base coat, base colors, heavy use of washes, highlight. That's as fancy as I'm able to get.

Excellent! Then i'm sure you'll enjoy these.

gary.

so!

1. ScottRadom
    2. Chrome
    3. Prophecy07
    4. Rugne

Still need one more guys!?

I'll gladly give it a try.

I'll review your product on my blogsite and on my youtube channel. PM me and I'll give you the info.
    Check out my blogsite at:
    http://chewinthephat.blogspot.com/

Stop in, kick your shoes off, chat it up. We'll paint up some minis.

Ah what the heck! I'm a nice guy!

1. ScottRadom
    2. Chrome
    3. Prophecy07
    4. Rugne
    5.NGartsutdios
    6. MAstahB

Alright, so

If i could get everyone to pm me with their Info that would be excellent. I hope to be sending out the samples later this month. Or you could alternatively send it to my email address obsidianpainting@hotmail.com

Also, i will be creating a little pamphlet to go with the samples(and the washes themselves when in production) that explains how to get the best use out of the washes.

From my experience with it, the best way to use it, is to apply it in thin layers(obviously not necessary) But it actually creates a gradation so awesome it looks like you blended the mini with paint. I am currently working on a Sicarius mini, and i applied the wash in thin layers over the Blue armour. And let me tell you, i am mighty impressed. I will post some pictures of it later. All i did was basecoat with Regal blue(games workshop) and then i applied the wash in thin layers into the recesses. If you read my Archaon wip, you'll know this is how i generally apply washes anyways.

Cheers!
    Gary

There yah go guys!

Cheers, Gary.

PM-ed you.

Check out my blogsite at:
    http://chewinthephat.blogspot.com/

Stop in, kick your shoes off, chat it up. We'll paint up some minis.

Pm'd you amigo!

You got a Pm from me as well even if it was a long time ago now.

And, I've found a guy that just might be interested in being a retailer if this works out well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

That wash looks pretty impressive! Good luck. I'll buy some from you when they're ready.

-Matt

You guys are too kind!

I'm ordering some more supplies, and before i am finalized on the formula, i'm going to try a little bit more to see if i can make this even better! If i can then excellent!(because the idea i had is cheaper, and if it works better! Then yay!)

I'll let you guys know how it's coming along when i get those supplies.

Cheers, Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by obsidianpainting View Post
    @Einion.
    We are doing all this by hand, so no rolling mills(yes it takes alot longer, maybe later on if we get people who like the product) Dispersant isn't Necessary, it's just convenient.
    I don't think you can be sure you're breaking up agglomerations, and proper pigment wetting, without milling or the use of dispersants.

Other than potential issues with settling being faster than it should in the wells of a palette for example, this will lead to problems with regard to shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by obsidianpainting View Post
    We are doing the colour matching by eye. We have a lot of templates to follow as well, this colour plus this colour makes this colour, and then you just gauge from there what else you need to add.
    This is much more difficult than I think you're giving it credit - it's notorious for being harder to control in practice than on paper.

Two batches of a pigment from one supplier can vary, leading to very different colouring abilities in a mix even with 'the same' pigment. In addition to how this affects consistency it's a major headache when it comes to using guides to how A+B+C=D.

On top of that, with a relatively limited palette I think you'll run into gamut issues, e.g. with CMY you have major gaps in the violet, orange/red and even in the green where the chroma is highest.

Einion

This entire conversation has gone waaaaay over my head. On the upside, between googling and wikipediaing (is that a word yet?), I have learned quite a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    I don't think you can be sure you're breaking up agglomerations, and proper pigment wetting, without milling or the use of dispersants.

Other than potential issues with settling being faster than it should in the wells of a palette for example, this will lead to problems with regard to shelf life.

This is much more difficult than I think you're giving it credit - it's notorious for being harder to control in practice than on paper.

Two batches of a pigment from one supplier can vary, leading to very different colouring abilities in a mix even with 'the same' pigment. In addition to how this affects consistency it's a major headache when it comes to using guides to how A+B+C=D.

On top of that, with a relatively limited palette I think you'll run into gamut issues, e.g. with CMY you have major gaps in the violet, orange/red and even in the green where the chroma is highest.

Einion

I apologize Einion, but it you seem to not give me enough Credit. I have done all the research and i know all the problems you have been presenting me with. And i have come up with some solutions to some of the problems.

Going back to the dispersant thing, It is possible, with oxides(which is mostly what i'm using) to just pre-disperse them in water, and they will come out just as good as if you've used dispersant. Dispersant was created for the trickier pigment. Granted, not all pigments act the same way, and some oxides do need some extra attention. I will be mulling all the pigments by hand into the water for predispersal. I will be mulling all the pigments by hand into the binder. This way i can control exactly how the paint turns out. Yes you could achieve the same, if not better result with a machine. However i want to do this by hand(personal Preference) I will have dispersant on the side, in case i need to use it. Some pigments, as said earlier, are trickier to disperse.

The settling issue deals with binder not dispersant. If the pigment isn't "ground" into the binder correctly it will seperate.

Onto the colour mixing:
    I have spent the last few months, literally just mixing paint. This was to hone my skill at being able to do this. Personally i enjoy it. I have gained alot of knowledge through testing and trial and error. Also, to make things simpler, you can always buy a Mixing Chart. This will help with basic stuff. I believe you can find a couple of them at dickblick.com if i'm not mistaken.

Now with all that said, I know you are just trying to give constructive criticism and pointing out flaws. And i understand and appreciate it.

Cheers. Gary.