Tee's Official WIP - Page 42
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: Tee's Official WIP

Hi Gorb,

Yes. I plan on having the canopy removable like i did on the nurgle knight i last did.
    I wasn't feeling doing the legs and feet today. So i broke down and worked on one of the Bolter Babes from the new Sisters Box.
    I converted one to have a heavy bolter. I couldn't believe GW didn't have one in the 25 unit box. So I fixed

Name:  IMG_0923.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  1.61 MB

I took the bolter from the centurion box i had spares from. as its was the perfect size.
    the normal space marine heavy bolters were just to huge. looked odd.

Name:  IMG_0920.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  1.44 MB

Name:  IMG_0921.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  1.28 MB

Name:  IMG_0922.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  1.33 MB

I am probably going to bounce between both the iron warriors knight and the bolter babes for a while.

Thanks for looking.

tee

I worked on both the Knight and the Sister today.
    I put the legs together and started the cleanup / mold line removal.
    I totally forgot how much a pain the mold lines on the legs were.
    I wonder if that's why i started the Sister a couple days ago?

Anyways.
    Name:  IMG_0927.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  1.54 MB
    I tweaked the machine spirit and added the last bit of cockpit detail.
    Name:  IMG_0929.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  1.46 MB

Name:  IMG_0930.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  327.4 KB
    waiting on the putty to dry on the mold lines.

Name:  IMG_0933.JPG
Size:  1.50 MB
    I started to putty in the missing arm.
    Name:  IMG_0935.JPG
Size:  1.46 MB
    As well as the shoulder pads.
    I'm not a fan on how they split this sculpt up.
    The shoulder pads are always going to come out odd because they cut it in half strange.

Anyways. That's it for a few days. It's back to work tomorrow.
    As always. Thanks for looking.

tee

> The shoulder pads are always going to come out odd because they cut it in half strange.

I guess the sculpt is pretty detailed and intricate from all angles, ie. there is no pure 2d plane through her, so the only way to go is by cutting the sculpt in half...
    At least the shoulder pads are detailed, so you don't have to blend the putty perfectly with smooth plastic?

Nice work so far!

Yeah, but for the price of that Sisters box, you think they would have figured out a better way to cut them so this stuff didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Yeah, but for the price of that Sisters box, you think they would have figured out a better way to cut them so this stuff didn't happen
    Only if you assume that you are paying a high price for quality, and not just for a brand name

I agreed on both counts.. They could have cut it under the shoulder pad as a whole and hid the seam underneath.

I worked on both again a little today.
    I started on the Sisters head and pined and cleaned the mold lines of her.
    Name:  IMG_0938.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  1.34 MB
    I had to trick the camera with my hand to get it to focus right.

I then continued working on filling the mold lines on the Knights legs.
    I cleaned up the Greenstuff/Apoxysculpt. I have seen a few YouTubers use Tamiya putty. So i got some and wanted to give it a go.
    Name:  IMG_0940.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  1.44 MB
    Man that stuff has a strong oder. I caught a little contact high. lol.

Lastly I put the final touches on the cockpit and put in stuff in some open areas.
    Name:  IMG_0939.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  1.45 MB

Im not sure how long the Tamiya puttty needs to dry so im going to leave it over night.

Thanks for looking.

tee

Have you tried the Vallejo Plastic putty? I found it a bit of a pain to work with (but didn't bother watching the video on it so my fault) the first time. But there is no smell to it and you just put it on and then wipe away with a damp brush (this is the part I still have some problems with as I think I have the brush too wet as I pull some out of the gaps I don't mean to)

Hi Eki,

I have not tried Vallejo Plastic Putty. I will get some and give it a try. I always like trying new things. It's how I learned I love using 50% Greenstuff and 50% Apoxysculpt.

tee

If you do get some of the plastic putty, watch this first (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUn2xnefo4I) I didn't and made a mess of my figure because it doesn't sand great - it clogs up the sander and kind of comes off in clumps so if you sand do it gently after it has dried.

Thanks for the link Eki, I am definitely going to have to get some of that and try it.

So my impression of the Tamiya putty is. Its cool. IT dries really hard. But its a little brittle. While makes it good for hard edges unlike greenstuff.
    I am going to have to play with mixing it withe greenstuff or apoxysculpt and see how that works out.

I worked on cleaning up mold lines and more parts for the legs. So no real interesting progress.
    Here are all the leg parts mostly cleaned up.
    Name:  IMG_0941.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  399.7 KB

Hopefully I will get to work on it during the week.
    As always thanks for looking.

tee

Hey Eki,

Thanks for the feedback and the recommendation on the Vallejo putty. I got some and tired it out today.
    So first things first. This stuff it awesome. I used the damp brush to remove the excess putty and man it worked well.
    Name:  IMG_0942.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  1.51 MB

i tested it on the lower leg center torso.
    Name:  IMG_0944.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  1.16 MB
    That's the putty applied before i took the damp brush to it.
    Name:  IMG_0945.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  1.07 MB
    That's after i cleaned off the excess with a damp junk dry brush.

I also worked on the upper torso and cleaned and added the outer arm joint supports.
    Name:  IMG_0946.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  1.39 MB
    Name:  IMG_0947.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  1.39 MB

Tomorrow I am going to apply another layer of putty to the lower torso. Maybe three to really fill in the seams.

Thanks again for the recommendation Eki!

As always thanks for looking.

tee

No problem, happy to hear you like the putty. One thing to know is that it stays soft for at least a very long time (I haven't checked the one piece I put it on to see if it is harder yet). I thought it was like GS or Tamiya putty and after about a day tried to scrape it off with an exacto and that stuff was like caulk in that is just started to come up in bits and pieces, often pulling up the stuff from the gap. So yeah, the water is definitely the way to go to remove excess.
    Okay, just checked the one piece I had that has been sitting around for about 3 months or so and yes the putty is still kind of soft especially compared to GS, Tamiya, or milliput

The other thing you could do for the gaps (and I just saw this on one of Vince Venturella's videos) is to take some tamiya thin glue and and mix in some sprue chunks and it will make a really good gap filler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH8xp0BJwQo
    Last edited by ekipage; 01-11-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Hi Eki,

I must have seen the same video then. I already ordered some Tamiya Cement and I plan on trying that out as well.
    Hopefully it works out awesome like in the video.

tee

I got some more work done on the knight. I worked on the canopy, exhaust, and Canopy weapon.
    because it needed a canopy missile launcher.

Name:  IMG_0948.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  1.25 MB

Name:  IMG_0949.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  1.27 MB

Name:  IMG_0950.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  1.19 MB

Name:  IMG_0951.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  1.13 MB

More tomorrow I hope.

Thanks for looking.

tee

I got some work done on the knight this morning.
    I played with the Vallejo putty to complete the chaos symbol on the missile pack.
    Name:  IMG_0953.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  1.32 MB

I also put the legs together and started adding some details to them.
    Name:  IMG_0954.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  1.34 MB
    Name:  IMG_0955.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  1.36 MB

I hope to get to work on it more later today.

tee

Looks like you've found yourself knee deep in a monster conversion project again Tee! Look forward to seeing the outcome and how it compares to the previous Knight!

Hi Hairster,

I guess i really did enjoy the first one. So I wanted to do another one but this time i went with the Iron Warriors. I think i may make a display and have them fighting each other in the end.

RL and Work have been getting in the way of working on it. But I got some time last night and today to work on it.

I added magnets to the chassis for the exhaust since if i need to take the canopy off to show the pilot they have to come off also.
    Name:  IMG_0961.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  1.50 MB

I finished up the pilot and made his connecting cable run into the chair.
    Name:  IMG_0963.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  1.14 MB

I also started cleaning up the canopy leg and shoulder armor and added little bits to one leg and shoulder armors.
    Name:  IMG_0964.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  1.24 MB
    Name:  IMG_0965.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  1.23 MB

The complete or mostly complete pile seems to be growing
    Name:  IMG_0967.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  1.74 MB

Hopefully I will get time to work on it during the week..

Thanks for looking.

tee

looking good tee, I like the chaos symbols, nicely done
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

My Instagram - where I post pictures every now and again https://www.instagram.com/coyotepaints/

Wow really nice attention to detail with all the internal mechanics. May I ask what did you use for the metal studs? (first photo of your most recent post, the ones going around what looks like a styrene headboard)

Really nice conversions going on here Tee!