Thunderwolf WIP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderwolf WIP

Newbie, please be gentle Jimmy86's Avatar

Default Thunderwolf WIP

Hello everyone on CMON forums and let me tell you I am excited to be here, feels like a sort of milestone or something .

I am currently working on my Space Wolf army as many others im sure, and the core of my army will be wolves, alot of them in fact. I have now calculated an army of 1750 pts and in that army I'll have 42 wolves in total

And as the tital sais i am working on a thunderwolf from scratch, and i have never sculpted anything in larger scale.

But before i show you all of my progress, id like to know, how do i add a picture in this thread? Never fully understood it, so if anyone would point it out id be a happy camper!

Cheers!
    Jimmy

Hey!

Welcome to the Forums Jimmy!

There are wo ways you can add pics.

1. through photobucket

2. through the manage attachments in post reply.

If you go through photobucket, just copy the image code and past it into your post! pretty simple!

Cheers!

Gary.

Welcome to the Board

Welcome to the Board.

I use Flicker for posting my pics.
    once you have uploaded a file to flicker or photobucket you just add [img] pic [/img] to the
    url line. Example: [img]flicker/photobucket.jpg [/img] to the thread your working in.

Hope that helps. Cant wait to see your work.

Tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

I'm a big fan of Imgur since you don't need an account. works exactly the same way:

http://www.imgur.com

Once you upload a pic, it even gives you the image tag. All you have to do is hold your mouse over it then "ctrl+c" there and "ctrl+v" here.
    Blasting forth in three part harmony!

Welcome Jimmy, good luck wrestling with the photos, looking forward to seeing your Space Wolves Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Welcome, I'm looking forward to seeing some Space Wolves. =)

omg it worked! Thanks alot everyone ^^

Ahem, well here was the beginning of the project. I used some steel wire for the "spine" and legs. Then some aluminum baking paper (think thats what its called in english) And then some thinner steel wire to wrap around it. Then as you see its GS on the leg, and i tried to give it fur using a needle and gently poke a hole then slowly drag it out abit

Sorry for multiposting, i forgot to add the different angle to the other armature pic.

But lets go on..

i removed the dreaded first paw i made too, it turned out to look like a furry cameltoe or something, so of with it.

I was getting more and more excited so i started to add some fur on the backleg aswell.

Now ive given the entire body fur, and added the first 2 paws.

And here is the 3d paw, and a look from the front

And here is as far as ive gotten. I'll gladly take any advice, critisism, remarks. And since i need to do atleast 9 of these, i hope it doesnt matter that ive showed you all what ive done alone, but i hope with your help ill improve!

THanks all, and happily awaiting some response
    //Jimmy

Looks pretty good so far, but I feel it needs more shape regarding muscles (that lies beneath the fur), etc. I feel that the general shape of the sculpt looks more like a furry horse than a wolf, look at some pictures of wolves for poses/body build references.

I'm a space wolf fan myself and have sculpted some thunderwolfes and I'm gonna give you some tips that will improve your sculpting.....
    First look for references like anatomy. Find a good skeleton structure of the thing you want to sculpt, in this case a wolf.
    Like this one.

now take some steel wire and try to make the spine, legs and don't forget the pelvis and axis (you don't want it to get flat)

before you begin you must have the scale made up from the beginning (because you don't want it to small or to big), and I suggest that you use a space marine figurine so get a feel of how big its gonna get.
    Have also in mind that have a good place to sculpt it on like a piece of cork (if you use a material that needs heat to harden, otherwise you can use polystyrene) I used a piece of hard cardboard and glued the wire in place, not the thing I recommend (the feet breaks and the glue don't hold that good). instead make the legs longer and stick em in the cork.
    but before you do that, you have to fasten the leg wire to the spine wire.
    wrap the leg wires around the spine wire, take that into consideration (rather to long). glue if they move to much.
    now pose it, think of the joints, and now for the next step.

now wrap the whole wire structure in wire, it is this stage that makes the clay to stick on to the structure.
    now you can start sculpting. I suggest you don't make the whole thing in green stuff but start with something cheaper and easy to work with (I use super sculpey) for muscle and anything that don't need to much detail.
    look up anatomy studies on muscles.
    when making the head start making a wolf skull and then you make the rest. don't forget to have your rider ready so that he doesn't look to silly siting on the wolf.
    when sculpting the fur remember that the fur isn't the same length on the whole wolf. its longer by the neck and shorter by the legs (its almost smooth) and medium short on the thighs and tail.
    and one last last thing, always have a reference photo at hand, both real photo and anatomy studies.... it is key.
    hope this helps you in the future.

Wow Pandrik, this will really be usefull! Hm, sad thing is that i have to wait untill i get money this month to buy the materials i need then.

About the positioning, you said cork would be a good start to use for a base, so for the legs shall i make them abit longer and stick in the cork you mean?

And the wire:ing. Is it important to use the same kind of wire for the whole basic structure? Or can i say use a more tougher wire for the spine and a more flexible lighter one for the legs?

And if the answer is "yes" to use same wire for whole basic structure, where can i get buy one thats easier to manipulate, and preferribly in EU? Since the one i have at home is really really strong.

About the clay, i was thinking of a clay thats from www.artistica.nu which is called "Gedeo white air dryeing clay" Like the name discribes its an air drying clay, and supposedly good to work with, anyone familiar about this brand perhaps?

Wow Pandrik, this will really be usefull! Hm, sad thing is that i have to wait untill i get money this month to buy the materials i need then.

Well, its not to expensive.

About the positioning, you said cork would be a good start to use for a base, so for the legs shall i make them abit longer and stick in the cork you mean?

Yes

And the wire:ing. Is it important to use the same kind of wire for the whole basic structure? Or can i say use a more tougher wire for the spine and a more flexible lighter one for the legs?

I think its better to take the flexible one because when you wrap the wire around again it will become quite stiff, but it wouldn't be a bad, test it and see what you prefer, I just use what I have laing around.

And if the answer is "yes" to use same wire for whole basic structure, where can i get buy one thats easier to manipulate, and preferribly in EU? Since the one i have at home is really really strong.

I would think that any hardware store have steel wire or stores oriented around construction.

About the clay, i was thinking of a clay thats from www.artistica.nu which is called "Gedeo white air dryeing clay" Like the name discribes its an air drying clay, and supposedly good to work with, anyone familiar about this brand perhaps?

I like super sculpey, its soft, easy to work with and not to expensive. And I would not go with Air drying stuff.... If you happens to forget about it, its ruined.

Yea i know it aint too expensive, its just i have around 4-5 euro left to live on untill next payment

Ok, so not a air drying clay then, for the sake of security not to forget and ruin it. So where can i buy the clay you used then?

And one more thing, since i then need to bake it i assume its called, would a ordinary household oven work?

I saw some of it there under Start / Keramik | Sculpey / Sculpey Polymer Clay / SuperSculpey
    Super Sculpey hudfärgad beige

and its only need 130C in 15 min so an ordinary household oven

Ah ok, thanks alot ;D

Oh yeah i saw that wolf among the pics on CMON page, you were one of the people that inspired me to start :P..

Hmm, two things now then, 1 is that i found difficult was to get a nice shape of the paw and toes, got any suggestions?

And 2, the fur, did you drag it out with a tool or something? I poked the GS with a needle and then i tugged it out abit, was i on the right track of doing it correctly?
    Last edited by Jimmy86; 01-02-2010 at 03:21 PM.

The paw... I took some clay, fasten it to the leg, made it some somewhat good size then split it down the middle, and then again so you get 4 toes. mold them some more to make them better,make a "rounded" hole there the claws will fit in so you get that over lapin skin feeling, let it harden now for the tricky part. make the claws out of green stuff, do not use something oily to make the proses easier, it wont, then it wont fasten on the paw (just thought of this now that maybe while making the "holes" for the claws to be in you could put a piece of steel wire in there to make the claws easier to fasten, warning not been tested, just a thought) fasten the claws properly and mold them somewhat, its relay hard and claws have fallen of (hens the wire)
    a tip is to make the claws to big en then cut of some later on when harden, Good luck, I hated that part.

and for the fur, I found this (If you don't know, Google!)

when making the small fur start from the back and go forward like on the long fur but on a flat surface.

Btw..... are you swedish